The Student Room Group

Missed my law moot?!

I had a law moot but I missed it because I was visiting my family, as per their demand but set aside 6 hours for my return trip when it usually takes 2-3h max. Due to various issues with the trains and coaches and my taxi driver getting lost I arrived too late and therefore couldn't participate. I was fully prepared and spend around £300 on a nice business suit and the trip back to my uni for the moot. I was also ill with a flu during that week but I am almost fine now, so I am not sure how easy would it be to obtain a letter from my GP. The moot is worth 10% of my unit grade for LSR (of the 4 units of my first year degree)... which is 2.5% off my first year's grade... *******s. Please advice me. Many thanks.
Original post by launcija100
I had a law moot but I missed it because I was visiting my family, as per their demand but set aside 6 hours for my return trip when it usually takes 2-3h max. Due to various issues with the trains and coaches and my taxi driver getting lost I arrived too late and therefore couldn't participate. I was fully prepared and spend around £300 on a nice business suit and the trip back to my uni for the moot. I was also ill with a flu during that week but I am almost fine now, so I am not sure how easy would it be to obtain a letter from my GP. The moot is worth 10% of my unit grade for LSR (of the 4 units of my first year degree)... which is 2.5% off my first year's grade... *******s. Please advice me. Many thanks.

If you had legitimate extentuating circumstances, then getting a doctor's note should be easy. If you visited your doctor during the illness then he or she could easily write a quick note. However, even if you manage to get a note, most universities don't usually accept the cold or flu as a compelling reason for missing exams/ coursework- my uni certainly doesn't.
(edited 7 years ago)

Tbh its at their discretion. Not being able to get yourself there on time is your problem really, unless it was a national strike or matters completely beuond your control. Not seeing how having flu has anything to do with it, unless it prevented you being there. Retrospective letters from a GP are not easy to obtain becayse they cnat verify whether you were ill or not. It doesnt sound importnat enough. Talk to your tutor and you may need to fill in an extenuating circumstances form. Dont be surpised if they just give you zero for not attending.

Did you ring the uni up whilst you were being delayed? Its only first year anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by habeas.corpus
If you had legitimate extentuating circumstances, then getting a doctor's note should be easy. If you visited your doctor during the illness then he or she could easily write a quick note. However, even if you manage to get a note, most universities don't usually accept the cold or flu as a compelling reason for missing exams/ coursework- my uni certainly doesn't.

I doubt they would, it was flu and no, I cured myself. The only mitigating circumstane I have is that I delayed my departure back to the university because of a family memember being ill suddenly and then my other reason were the taxi driver and trains etc. How would I formulate my excuse and which factors should I focus on? My university also happens to be very strict and so I am unsure to what will happen??
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Tbh its at their discretion. Not being able to get yourself there on time is your problem really, unless it was a national strike or matters completely beuond your control. Not seeing how having flu has anything to do with it, unless it prevented you being there. Retrospective letters from a GP are not easy to obtain becayse they cnat verify whether you were ill or not. It doesnt sound importnat enough. Talk to your tutor and you may need to fill in an extenuating circumstances form. Dont be surpised if they just give you zero for not attending.

Did you ring the uni up whilst you were being delayed? Its only first year anyway.

I did not call them because usually their offices close early and I couldn't find a number for anyone who is running the moot. On the moot handout it says that missing the moot would 'embarrass the law school and affect your student record and employment prospects'... is it really that serious?
I doubt they would, it was flu and no, I cured myself. The only mitigating circumstane I have is that I delayed my departure back to the university because of a family memember being ill suddenly and then my other reason were the taxi driver and trains etc. How would I formulate my excuse and which factors should I focus on? My university also happens to be very strict and so I am unsure to what will happen??

I wouldn't bother with this "flu" excuse. Firstly, the flu didn't prevent you from attending your moot. Secondly, most universities don't consider common illnesses such as flu or the cold as mitigating cirumstances. And finally, you are extremely unlikely to obtain a doctor's note if you didn't visit them during the illness.

Regards the situation about you going home. The travel issues were unfortunate, however the university is unlikely to be sympathetic, unless there was a national strike or something.

Special circumstances which are accepted include bereavement or serious illness of a person with whom the student has a close relationship with. So your situation may work if serious enough. You would need independent evidence that your family member was seriously ill (a flu won't cut it). You could mention the travel disruption on top of that, but you are unlikely to have evidence for this, only your own account. By itself, the travel disruption won't give you a strong case. You should contact your personal tutor or director of studies for advice on how to proceed.

In short, whichever reason(s) you put forward as mitigating cirumstances, you will need corrobrating evidence from a third party.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did not call them because usually their offices close early and I couldn't find a number for anyone who is running the moot. On the moot handout it says that missing the moot would 'embarrass the law school and affect your student record and employment prospects'... is it really that serious?

If you didn't inform them during the event, then it certainly doesn't look good. There must have been someone that you could have contacted but didn't.

Which law school do you attend?! They sound very unprofessional and ill-informed to me. Missing one 10% moot is going to do **** all to your employment prospects. You can still get an A in the module if you do well in the rest of the course. Your employers couldn't possibly know, nor would they care.

You are most likely going to get 0 for not attending. But like I said, it's only 10% of that module. It's virtually inconsquential if you perform well in the other areas.
(edited 7 years ago)

I doubt it will affect your employment propsects. I am unclear what sort of moot it was, but if you were representing the uni rather than it being internal, then its slightly diffrent.

If your flu was so serious you should have given them advanced warning of whether you were going to make it.

You didnt have the contact details of any organisers, seems negligent.

I'm just not that convinced by your reasons so far. Transport delays happen. but as soon as you thught you were in trouble yu should have veen contacting someone, even if its just an email or voicemail to show you were trying to let them know before the moot.

It looks impossible to reorganise, so you should expect to get a no show mark. It only counts for a tiny amount. Use more common sense next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending