The Student Room Group

P.E or Art GCSE

I have decided that I am prepared for the work that comes with an art gcse :smile: but my only problem is now my p.e teacher has kinda made me feel like I owe it to her ? I've always excelled at sports, but the commitment rlly isn't just there sadly ; my life is just so damn busy. Is p.e gcse really sporty because my last option was meant to be a kind of break ?? I wanna be a lawyer when I'm older if that helps at all, not that any of these two subjects are relevant to that lool. I'm doing history and Spanish as my other options so I figured that was academic enough ? Need some help xx
Don't choose a GCSE just because it's a "break" - GCSE Art for me was anything but.

PE will probably be easier than Art in terms of workload. However, if you're wanting to be a lawyer, why don't you choose another humanity such as Geography/RS or something? It will open more doors further down the line with A Level Choices and things :smile:
Original post by Naex
I have decided that I am prepared for the work that comes with an art gcse :smile: but my only problem is now my p.e teacher has kinda made me feel like I owe it to her ? I've always excelled at sports, but the commitment rlly isn't just there sadly ; my life is just so damn busy. Is p.e gcse really sporty because my last option was meant to be a kind of break ?? I wanna be a lawyer when I'm older if that helps at all, not that any of these two subjects are relevant to that lool. I'm doing history and Spanish as my other options so I figured that was academic enough ? Need some help xx

Neither.
Between art and pe, I' pick art (only because I'm an art student :colondollar:)
Idk what you need for law tho.

Teachers always try and get you to take their subjects during that time, don't listen to them! :angry:
Reply 4
Whatever you enjoy most :smile:. I doubt GCSE subjects matter too much, just make sure you pick the correct ones at A-Levels for future career.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it AQA or Edexcel PE, cos I feel there's a big difference.

AQA is like "name 3 sports that involve a ball (3 marks)", whereas Edexcel is like "give three benefits of being able to accurately measure VO2 (3 marks)"
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo
Is it AQA or Edexcel PE, cos I feel there's a big difference.

AQA is like "name 3 sports that involve a ball (3 marks)", whereas Edexcel is like "give three benefits of being able to accurately measure VO2 (3 marks)"

I'm assuming it's Edexcel then because it is said that it's really really hard.
Reply 7
Original post by Assar
Whatever you enjoy most :smile:. I doubt GCSE subjects matter too much, just make sure you pick the correct ones at A-Levels for future career.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I assumed that. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Faloodeh
Between art and pe, I' pick art (only because I'm an art student :colondollar:)
Idk what you need for law tho.

Teachers always try and get you to take their subjects during that time, don't listen to them! :angry:

How's art? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous1502
Neither.

You think you could expand on that maybe ? :/
Reply 10
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Don't choose a GCSE just because it's a "break" - GCSE Art for me was anything but.

PE will probably be easier than Art in terms of workload. However, if you're wanting to be a lawyer, why don't you choose another humanity such as Geography/RS or something? It will open more doors further down the line with A Level Choices and things :smile:

Already sorted! At my school it's compulsory to do R.E/R.S. I was thinking that thag doing a nother humanity would just add on more stress for me with written exams. Pretty sure having history, Spanish and r.e covers me for the academic side of my choices, but what about my creative side ? :wink: I thought it would be good to choose something a little bit different to show I'm well rounded and also if I believe I can get a good grade! As long as I keep up with my homework and keep up deadlines, which I know I can do as I'm an extremely organised person, I honestly believe art would be something enjoyable:smile: thanks anyways !
Original post by Naex
You think you could expand on that maybe ? :/

I did art and it was a lot of work and you need to be like really really good at art and i only managed to get a C grade and not many people in my class managed an A even i think. Art is a useless subject and its subjective, as some people may think your work is an A and some people think its a C. PE its not useful as well, and i wouldnt do it. I would do some other options that are more useful and more academic but thats just me, even though gcse's dont matter as much maybe try and do some other subject instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im currently taking Art and regret it every single day stay far away from it if you know you're a lazy person and are inconsistent with getting coursework done, everyone in my class is literally scrambling for any piece of work to add to their portfolio and right now I'm trying my best to fill up one of my sketchbook. Honestly just pick another humanities. Literally the amount of work you do in GCSE Art starts to become manual labour.

I actually like/liked Art untill I took it for GCSE.
I take PE and regret it so much (I do OCR which is extremely and unnecessarily hard) the sport only takes up 40% of the new GCSE and you rarely do it. It is NOT a break. It's more like a bit of random theory like key concepts and the second paper is really specific biology.

My friends like art (because it's quite freeing and stuff) but there is a big workload that they complain about too.

Good luck with your choice :smile:
Original post by Naex
How's art? :smile:

Its A LOT of work so I only suggest it if you're passionate/want to take it for a level like me(I actually like art so its worth it in the end)
My only problem is teachers try to mold what you do and give you a list of artists to choose from which limits creativity but its gcse so eh (Im in the process of getting my own idea approved for my exam book because I didnt like the artists :tongue:)
In all honesty its easy to pass as long as you finish all the work but I dont recommend you take art with other subjects that have lots of work idk like textiles (or triple science?)
How much do you know though? Its 60% coursework and 40% exam, and in the exam you have an exam sketchbook and a final piece which you do in a set time (10h)
So for coursework I have 3 sketchbooks and 3 final pieces but idk if thats the same for all schools.
Be prepared to fall behind in all your other subjects or in art depending on which you value more, there is no balance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do whatever you enjoy most.I am currently doing Art and omg the work load is a lot and I am currently behind but this is you so you might get everything done.If you really want to do PE you should go ahead and pick it..

Best of Luck:biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous1502
you need to be like really really good at art

Lol no thats wrong. They make you draw so much you improve even if you dont notice.
Art GSCE is hard and requires commitment that you said you were prepared for.
P.E GSCE is a easy GSCE to pass but that doesn't mean you should do it because it's easy do what you enjoy the most.

Quick Reply

Latest