The Student Room Group

Mike Pence

I actually don't see what the fuss is. Sure, he has strong conservative values, especially when it comes to his faith. Let's not forget that America still is a Christian country.

The only reason people are making such a big deal of it is because as VP he's succeeding 8 years of democrats who have very strong liberal values.

I enjoyed listening to his profile on Radio 4:

http://bbc.in/2k2DeXz
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fruli
I actually don't see what the fuss is. Sure, he has strong conservative values, especially when it comes to his faith. Let's not forget that America still is a Christian country.

The only reason people are making such a big deal of it is because as VP he's succeeding 8 years of democrats who have very strong liberal values.

I enjoyed listening to his profile on Radio 4.

Trump and Pence need to be at least given a chance. People have written them off far too quickly
I'd say Pence is pretty much the perfect VP for Trump. While Trump represents the alt-right, with opposition to immigration, Islam, and political correctness, Pence represents the more Christian right, with opposition to abortion and support for traditional marriage. Those two sides of conservatism put together create the ideal presidency, in my opinion.
Good point to note that when Trump announced that he is picking his VP, Pence wasn't even on the cards. No one had expected this, yet it is one of the best decisions he's made. Smart!
Original post by Fruli

I enjoyed listening to his profile on Radio 4:

http://bbc.in/2k2DeXz

Well for one thing he believes in conversion theory despite no evidence that it works or is in fact anything other than harmful.He thinks global warming isn't real even though it's a major global problem.As the American vice president he is deputy leader of one of the biggest emitters of C02 and should be doing everything he can to mitigate the effects of climate change. America might be a Christian country but it should be kept out of government.Besides that is only recently,the founding fathers were noted atheists and intended America to be secular at the level of government.
Original post by BobBobson
Good point to note that when Trump announced that he is picking his VP, Pence wasn't even on the cards. No one had expected this, yet it is one of the best decisions he's made. Smart!

Would Trump Cruz not have been a good ticket??
Reply 6
Mike pence wasn't trumps first choice, his first choice was Chris Christie but Trump's son in law persuaded him to choose Mike Pene
Reply 7
When you're against abortion because everyone has a right to life, yet pro-capital punishment...

tumblr_o0nnbj3YBc1qbmm1co1_500.gif
Original post by fleky6910
Would Trump Cruz not have been a good ticket??

Ted is just unelectable. I'm sorry, he's a nice guy. He didn't deserve all of the heat he got during the election (although he deserved a lot of it), but no one wants to vote for that gremlin face. Mike Pence ass-blasted Kaine in the VP debate, Ted would've just been a typical politician having a typical political debate.
Original post by jamestg
When you're against abortion because everyone has a right to life, yet pro-capital punishment...

tumblr_o0nnbj3YBc1qbmm1co1_500.gif

Unborn baby = innocent
someone sentenced to death = not innocent
It's not rocket science.
Unborn baby = innocent
It's not rocket science.

But republicans and Christians use the sanctity of life as their argument. Only God has the right to give and take away life . The sanctity of life works both ways. Which means they should be pro life and anti death penalty!
Original post by fleky6910
But republicans and Christians use the sanctity of life as their argument. Only God has the right to give and take away life . The sanctity of life works both ways. Which means they should be pro life and anti death penalty!

But then, what about if a criminal is holding a gun at you, about to shoot you, are you not willing to take his life because only God has the right to give and take away life. I interpret the sancity of life to mean that the taking of life should be taken very very seriously. imho, Religion works best when it doesn't deal with absolutes.
But then, what about if a criminal is holding a gun at you, about to shoot you, are you not willing to take his life because only God has the right to give and take away life. I interpret the sancity of life to mean that the taking of life should be taken very very seriously. imho, Religion works best when it doesn't deal with absolutes.

I am secular, not a fan of religion.
Does more harm than good.
Unborn baby = innocent
It's not rocket science.

Lol I'm not pandering to this.

Religion works best when it doesn't interfere in government and politics.

No , people have been proven innocent after death:biggrin:
Original post by Fruli

It's a bit more serious than that. Those conservative values of his were the reason he proposed legislature allowing for Planned Parenthood, America's primary provider of sexual healthcare and education, to be defunded- something he then proceeded to do across his entire state of Indiana while serving as governer after the legislation passed. This eliminated the only source of STD testing available to a substantial proportion of his state, and the result of this was an increase in HIV occurance that eventually ballooned into one of the largest HIV outbreaks in the country over the 21st century and the worst outbreak in that state's history. This wasn't an unforeseen fluke, this was an absolutely predictable and warned-about consequence and Pence did it anyway because of his pro-life crusade. He was directly responsible for this. That's not even getting into the bills he signed to legitimise religious discrimination or force vulnerable women to pay for their aborted foetuses to have a burial or cremation, the greatest piece of his legacy as governer was enabling an outbreak of a lethal disease that will needlessly kill a large number of people by the time the full extent of the damage has run its course.

So it's not just that people dislike his highly conservative values, it's that he's absolutely ready and willing to push the law in the direction those views take him no matter how many people he harms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Trump's anti-planned parenthood as well. If you're still arguing for planned parenthood, then there's something wrong with you. There's videos of them selling aborted foetuses. The creator of planned parenthood hated black people and wanted to use it as a way to carry out eugenics on black people. It's merely a coincidence that currently in America, black people carry out more abortions than any other group proportionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trump's anti-planned parenthood as well.

I know, but the thread was asking specifically about what people don't like about Pence.

If you're still arguing for planned parenthood, then there's something wrong with you. There's videos of them selling aborted foetuses.

Yes there is, and it was done in a entirely legal way despite despite the manipulation of the footage used in an attempt to smear the organisation. It's a highly unpleasant topic but foetal tissue is a valuable scientific tool.

The creator of planned parenthood hated black people and wanted to use it as a way to carry out eugenics on black people.

Well he's a dickhead too then. However PP don't actually carry out eugenics on black people, so the point is moot.

It's merely a coincidence that currently in America, black people carry out more abortions than any other group proportionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's also no coincidence that there is correlation between financial status and abortion rate, with black people making up a disproportionate percentage of Americans living under the poverty line, the economic group most likely to get abortions. The majority of abortions are also performed on women who already have children, so if eugenics is the aim then they're doing an awful job of it.

All that aside, you've absolutely failed to address that, whether you feel it is justified or not, Pence knowingly shut down the major (if not singular) source of accessible sexual healthcare without implementing any form of replacement for the many non-abortion services they provide, resulting in an entirely predicted outbreak in HIV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending