The Student Room Group

How do you get A's at AS level?

Do you have any tips on how to get A's at AS level and how long to revise for each day?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Revising.
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
Revising.

How long would you recommend revising each day?
Original post by Elena 365
How long would you recommend revising each day?

2-3 hours
Reply 4
If you want to ensure that you get an A grade, simply answer all of the questions in your exams correctly.
Original post by Pigster
If you want to ensure that you get an A grade, simply answer all of the questions in your exams correctly.

Damn i wish someone told me that when i was doing my as levels last year :colonhash:
Reply 6
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Damn i wish someone told me that when i was doing my as levels last year :colonhash:

Also, when playing Space Invaders, simply shoot all of the aliens before they land.

"Space Invaders"... alright granddad!
Do you have any tips on how to get A's at AS level and how long to revise for each day?

Revise effectively. Know what the examiner wants from you and do lots of past paper practice (if you can, I know there are the new linear qualifications that merely have a specimen, or a specimen and the 2016 paper). Attend your lessons, do your homework, read around the subject and revise well and in good time! I can't really offer you any subject-specific advice, as I don't know what you're taking, but there's some generic advice - good luck!
Reply 8

You got loads of time to revise. So just do a bit each day up until the exam period and you'll do great!😄 Personally for AS I hadn't started to revise at this time but I got AAAA. I would say the main thing which helped me to achieve these grades was the CGP textbooks, those and past papers anyway...

Good luck and take it easy
Original post by Rexar
You got loads of time to revise. So just do a bit each day up until the exam period and you'll do great!😄 Personally for AS I hadn't started to revise at this time but I got AAAA. I would say the main thing which helped me to achieve these grades was the CGP textbooks, those and past papers anyway...

What subjects did you do if you don't mind me asking :biggrin: your results are amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by leopard923
What subjects did you do if you don't mind me asking :biggrin: your results are amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

At AS I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Design & Technology. I have dropped psychology to A2. All of Maths, Physics and Psychology were AQA so the CGP books helped me allot.😊 (I know...I know I keep bumming of the CGP books but I love em 😄)

Anyways good luck
Original post by Rexar
At AS I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Design & Technology. I have dropped psychology to A2. All of Maths, Physics and Psychology were AQA so the CGP books helped me allot.😊 (I know...I know I keep bumming of the CGP books but I love em 😄)

Anyways good luck

What module did you find the hardest for Maths at AS and A2?
Reply 12
Original post by MajorFader
What module did you find the hardest for Maths at AS and A2?

At AS my other module to C1 and C2 was S1. I would say that this was the hardest in AS for me. Now at A2 my other module is M1 and I would say that C4 is the hardest so far followed by M1
Original post by Rexar

Anyways good luck

Thank you :smile: I do maths and physics too - physics can be hard at times though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by leopard923
Thank you :smile: I do maths and physics too - physics can be hard at times though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree physics is very tough, especially at A2. 😰
Reply 15
Original post by Rexar

What would you say the best way of revising is after having done your AS's?When I write notes from the textbook it is very time consuming and I find it difficult to get all my notes done on time. This is due to the large content that I have to cover. Do you have any advice on how I can manage the workload?
Reply 16
What would you say the best way of revising is after having done your AS's?When I write notes from the textbook it is very time consuming and I find it difficult to get all my notes done on time. This is due to the large content that I have to cover. Do you have any advice on how I can manage the workload?

All I did at GCSE and AS is continuously copy the CGP textbooks. I must have wrote the whole textbook put at least 10 times but this is just how I revise, it works for me. Granted t is time consuming but there is loads of time. I usually start on past papers like 1 month before exams and I start to revise 2-3 mo her before, this year I will start earlier
Reply 17
Original post by Rexar
All I did at GCSE and AS is continuously copy the CGP textbooks. I must have wrote the whole textbook put at least 10 times but this is just how I revise, it works for me. Granted t is time consuming but there is loads of time. I usually start on past papers like 1 month before exams and I start to revise 2-3 mo her before, this year I will start earlier

Thankyou for your advice, I will definitely continue writing out my notes consistently so that I can remember them and will do the past papers 😊
Also I feel like when my mock exams come up I never get to fully finish my notes. Therefore I feel like this is why I end up getting nervous and end up thinking that I will never finish my notes on time.
Reply 18
Thankyou for your advice, I will definitely continue writing out my notes consistently so that I can remember them and will do the past papers 😊
Also I feel like when my mock exams come up I never get to fully finish my notes. Therefore I feel like this is why I end up getting nervous and end up thinking that I will never finish my notes on time.

Very welcome 🙂 Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by CatusStarbright
Revise effectively. Know what the examiner wants from you and do lots of past paper practice (if you can, I know there are the new linear qualifications that merely have a specimen, or a specimen and the 2016 paper). Attend your lessons, do your homework, read around the subject and revise well and in good time! I can't really offer you any subject-specific advice, as I don't know what you're taking, but there's some generic advice - good luck!

That's some great advice, I most certainly realised that finding out what the examiner is asking of you is one of the most overlooked areas when revising and also past papers. I agree with attending lectures/lessons, no one is more experienced than teachers/lecturers in understanding what the examiner wants especially when they often work very closely with the exam boards.

Quick Reply

Latest