The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to do AS and A2 maths in one year?

Now, I have seen a few threads around asking this already but I just want a clear answer.

At the moment I am a year 13 studying Chemistry, biology and applied ICT which I am hoping to get a BBA in these subjects. However, I have found a course that I want to do but they require an A-level in maths. Therefore, next year will it be possible for me to cram AS and A2 maths into one year rather than two, where I will only be doing this one subject? Also, I got an A in GCSE in maths.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Another question, if I were to do it, how would I do it? Do I do the AS in the first 3 months then the A2 in the next 3 months. Or am I able to do both years at the same time?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sure, it's possible. Are you taking just Maths that year if so it will be easier for you to get a good grade in it. If you are however doing the 2 years while doing other A-Levels it would require hard work but still possible!
Reply 2
My friend tried to do it and got a U. But then he retook it all and got an A. It is a lot of content in a fairly short amount of time.
If you are aiming for a BBA in those subjects and got an A in GCSE Maths, you would likely struggle to do it well, i.e. get an A. But if all you need is an E or C grade then yes, you could easily do it. Very easily.
Hell yes! I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Computing at AS level. Decided I wanted to do maths/physics at uni, so dropped Psychology and Computing and decided to do AS and A2 further maths in one year.

Last summer I self-taught the D1 and S2 modules, and finished the FP1 module just before Christmas.

Now we have started FP2, FP3 and M2 for my A2 further maths, so all I have to do now is just make sure I keep revising the D1, S2 and FP1 modules so I don't forget them.
Original post by Google22
Hell yes! I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Computing at AS level. Decided I wanted to do maths/physics at uni, so dropped Psychology and Computing and decided to do AS and A2 further maths in one year.

Last summer I self-taught the D1 and S2 modules, and finished the FP1 module just before Christmas.

Now we have started FP2, FP3 and M2 for my A2 further maths, so all I have to do now is just make sure I keep revising the D1, S2 and FP1 modules so I don't forget them.

Very admirable.
Yes it most definitely is, I dropped Chemistry and Economics and took AS and A2 Further this year, along with Maths and Physics. Self did FP1 and S1, did accelerated classes in D1 and D2 with the year 12s, then the rest in standard lessons(S2, M2, FP2, C3, C4) having already done C1, C2 and M1.

However do you mean you are currently half way through you're year 13 year, like myself? Because doing the full course in this time would not exactly be very easy at all
Reply 7
I have asked other people but they don't think it will be possible for me to do it. However, I could pester my math teachers and ask more about but I'm not a genius and the BBA is me just hoping that I will do well in my sciences, that saying I do revise and I am trying my hardest.

Thanks for the help. However, one more question to ask. How would you do it? Do I do the AS in the first 3 months then the A2 in the next 3 months. Or am I able to do both years at the same time?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by itsElliott
Yes it most definitely is, I dropped Chemistry and Economics and took AS and A2 Further this year, along with Maths and Physics. Self did FP1 and S1, did accelerated classes in D1 and D2 with the year 12s, then the rest in standard lessons(S2, M2, FP2, C3, C4) having already done C1, C2 and M1.

However do you mean you are currently half way through you're year 13 year, like myself? Because doing the full course in this time would not exactly be very easy at all

I will be trying to do it next year after year 13.
Reply 9
Yes. It is possible. Easily.
Original post by StrikerJK
I will be trying to do it next year after year 13.

Would it be possible to study it in school?
Most probably not.
Would it be possible to study it independently and take the exams as a private candidate?
It is definitely possible. Many have successfully done so but many have tried and not achieved their goal. Your success would depend on several factors including your aptitude for maths, your work ethic/motivation and your capacity for independent study.
How would you do it?
A levels are going through a period of reform, what your options are depend on what country you are in. Assuming you are in England....... If you are certain you could complete it in one year then you could study for the current specification. Unless you have someone to guide you through the content, the core maths units need to be done in order.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Self-taught the whole of A-level Further Mathematics, so Mathematics is definitely doable! I'd recommend doing C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2 (in case you're wondering the order of difficulty C1,C2,S2,S1,C3,C4) I'd also recommend using the Edexcel exam board! Just get the edexcel textbook, you'll be able to teach yourself each module with the use of that book and videos on youtube etc. It's honestly doable, I got an A in GCSE maths (scraped an A) and pretty much self taught Maths in one year and further maths in the next year (got an A* in both). You'll be fine. Buy the edexcel textbooks e.g:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519077/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485591674&sr=1-1&keywords=Edexcel+C4
And also use examsolutions.net and www.physicsandmathstutor.com
This is pretty much all you need. Just aim to get each module done in a month and C3/4 may take a little longer. C3/4 rely on C1/2 knowledge so you'll be constantly using core parts of earlier modules making revision for C1 and C2 easier once you've completed the later modules. Also do all the past papers and you should get a good grade!
Reply 12
Definitely possible. I'm not in the same position but did A level maths in year 12, along with AS physics & chemistry. You need to be motivated and put the in the hours - can seem like an impossible amount of work at times!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it's doable are we talking this year? if so it's kind of a challenge now when your doing them on top of other levels as well. If your talking about starting next year then sure easily just get a head start in the summer using exam solutions.the general advice is 300-360 hours I always exclude May in this because you have exams in may and should be excising recapping everything at that point not learning from scratch.

So since end of Jan let's say you have 3 months which means 100-120 hours a month. So I will call that 91 days yes we technically are two days over but few days left in Jan so it works as an estimate.

Anyway this gives us 13 weeks exactly so with rounding 23-28 hours a week.

Now it might take you more or less then that depending on your abilities but since I know nothing about you really I'll make the assumptions of the normal recommendations. So what this comes down to is can you spare that 23-28 hours a week now?

If so and if that's an honest answer then sure it's doable. But for many adding that to the schedule now is a really big deal and not really feasible regardless if you wanted it bad enough you could but seems a tall order as I assume you still need to commit many hours to your other studies.

If just a level and not further a level and no job or other commitments and your stating next academic year then sure stop been silly. Exams are over at end of June using July and august alone to get that head start you would be two thirds through or if you wanted to put in the extra work we can divide 360 and 300 by 60 which gives us 5 or 6 hours a day meaning you could do the whole thing within two months with only 30-42 hours a week.
I don't think I can give You advice on this.
Hi there, I wanted to ask anyone who could tell me if i could do maths a-level and
a-level chemistry in a one year intenstive a-level from scratch alongside with my
current a-level geography, I'm dropping my English Language and Media A-level
because i decided that those a-levels are not for me and I want a change of career. I acheived grade A at GCSE Maths however I acheived BC in my gcse science, I
found a college who does these intensive a-level courses. But i don't know if could manage all the work in only one year and I need someone to advice me on what to do in this suitation?
we talking this year with four months remaining or next year.

either way its doable just its much more doable if you have from July to May then if you have from Feb to May.
Original post by Mohamed.salem
Hi there, I wanted to ask anyone who could tell me if i could do maths a-level and
a-level chemistry in a one year intenstive a-level from scratch alongside with my
current a-level geography, I'm dropping my English Language and Media A-level
because i decided that those a-levels are not for me and I want a change of career. I acheived grade A at GCSE Maths however I acheived BC in my gcse science, I
found a college who does these intensive a-level courses. But i don't know if could manage all the work in only one year and I need someone to advice me on what to do in this suitation?

Presumably this college has experience of teaching fast track A levels and would not accept you if they thought you couldn't be successful. That said, it's a very ambitious goal and your relatively weak science GCSE result might indicate that chemistry is going to be a challenge. Do it only If you think you have the aptitude and work ethic to do it well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by StrikerJK
Now, I have seen a few threads around asking this already but I just want a clear answer.

At the moment I am a year 13 studying Chemistry, biology and applied ICT which I am hoping to get a BBA in these subjects. However, I have found a course that I want to do but they require an A-level in maths. Therefore, next year will it be possible for me to cram AS and A2 maths into one year rather than two, where I will only be doing this one subject? Also, I got an A in GCSE in maths.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Another question, if I were to do it, how would I do it? Do I do the AS in the first 3 months then the A2 in the next 3 months. Or am I able to do both years at the same time?

Idk about actual colleges, but you could find fast track courses online that teaches you as + a2 in one year. I think they support you using livecam or videos and they'll set you home work + tests to do online.
It is possible, I did it last year, I got a D the first year and so I decided to retake all my AS maths exams while studying A2 maths and got an A after all

Quick Reply

Latest