The Student Room Group

EMERGENCY:Wrote an e-mail to Cambridge which they found 'threatening', BIG trouble...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by answermenow
They forwarded the email to my school and now my head of year is so pissed off...

He says Cambridge might even report me to UCAS and this might VOID my medical application.

As for what I wrote, was something along the lines of "I hope you live to regret this" and "I have nothing more to add"

Need an urgent good apology letter or my life is OVER!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Move to a different country and change your name
Original post by LisaNikita
Statistics honey. There is a huge difference between the successful applications and the people who actually applied.

I was gonna make a worthwhile reply and then realised it's just not worth my time.
So I'll just say this, don't be a dick "honey". It's not your place to tell people what they can and can't do, including whether or not they are smart enough for Cambridge.
Original post by A-LJLB
I was gonna make a worthwhile reply and then realised it's just not worth my time.
So I'll just say this, don't be a dick "honey". It's not your place to tell people what they can and can't do, including whether or not they are smart enough for Cambridge.

I will look at their grade and tell them whether their application is competitive enough. Why should I lie and get it in their head so they can do stupid stuff like make a STANDARD rejection letter into "art".
I will look at their grade and tell them whether their application is competitive enough. Why should I lie and get it in their head so they can do stupid stuff like make a STANDARD rejection letter into "art".

There's a difference between honesty, and having no background information on someone and claiming they got rejected for not being intelligent enough.
Maybe keep it for when someone asks for your opinion too sweetheart
Original post by A-LJLB
There's a difference between honesty, and having no background information on someone and claiming they got rejected for not being intelligent enough.

I never said it wasn't because they weren't smart. There are plenty of kids who are smart. But have they wanted it or did they suddenly get told they had potential and applied?
I never said it wasn't because they weren't smart. There are plenty of kids who are smart. But have they wanted it or did they suddenly get told they had potential and applied?

does it matter?
Original post by A-LJLB

No one really asked for yours. But how many times have you been rejected or second choice :smile:
Assuming its made up, it. made me laugh. If it was true then smh.
(edited 7 years ago)

You literally said "Why do you apply for Cambridge if you know you wont get in?".
I assume if they applied, then yes they wanted it.
You can't just assume someone didn't have potential and that was the reason for their rejection.
Hundreds of very strong candidates get rejected.
you ****ing ******
Original post by marianade
no one really asked for yours. But how many times have you been rejected or second choice :smile:

ahahhahahaha did someone just make another account just to argue looooooool
Original post by JickDee
does it matter?

It does. An Oxford professor told me it was the ability to handle a heavy workload and take on the challenging nature of the course I wanted to pursue (Physics).
I feel sorry for you as I too have made many mistakes "in the heat of the moment", just one of those things lol

Just write a genuine letter and see what they say, im very surprised Cambridge even bothered to write to your head of sixth as I am sure they can spend their time more wisely.
Original post by Marianade
No one really asked for yours. But how many times have you been rejected or second choice :smile:

Sorry, what? Do let me know what you're getting at pal

Edit: actually don't bother, you clearly just want an argument and I'm not wasting my time :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you apply and get in?? Please tell me if I'm wrong. How many kids from Asia/Africa get into Oxford?

I hold an undergraduate degree and an MPhil from Cambridge, in Sociology... the discipline devoted to analysing, measuring and explaining what 'disadvantage' is. My Masters thesis focused on British working class pupils' perceptions of elite Universities, and on the demographics of Universities Admissions. I worked each year as a student ambassador for the Cambridge Widening Participation team, and I received training from UCAS in my role as a UCAS and Clearing Advisor on TSR each Results Day since 2009 :dry:

First of all, home applicants and international applicants don't compete for places. UK Universities have separate quotas and arrangements for how many places they give to the two categories. Cambridge and Oxford don't have to choose between the so called underprivileged privately schooled kids from foreign countries and state school home applicants.

Secondly, there is research demonstrating that UK state school students perform better at University than their privately schooled peers do.

Thirdly, grades do not reliably indicate intelligence. Which is why both Cambridge and Oxford use a range of different assessment methods in order to judge which students to admit.

Finally, those pupils who do get in from poorer countries tend to be from their home country's elite. And they are most certainly more privileged than Britain's working classes are. Of course this is all moot, since as I said before... 'state schooled' does not mean 'poor' or 'disadvantaged'. Most state school applicants to Oxbridge are middle class. Barely any are working class.

As to how many international applicants get in and what their country of origin is, I don't feel like poring through the specifics. But perhaps you should do that if you want to be taken seriously.

How about you? Because you come across like an international applicant at a private international school. Referring to CNN in another thread earlier today didn't help...

If you don't know about something, frame it as a question. Or at least put 'I think' in front of it. Don't just mouth it off overconfidently. It makes you look really silly. And there are other people on TSR who know a lot more than you or I do about the ins and outs of this. Not least actual Admissions staff from Oxford and Cambridge :facepalm2:
(edited 7 years ago)
It does. An Oxford professor told me it was the ability to handle a heavy workload and take on the challenging nature of the course I wanted to pursue (Physics).

but if someone gets accepted, then the university deems them able to handle such a workload...
Original post by Craghyrax
I hold an undergraduate degree and an MPhil from Cambridge, in Sociology... the discipline devoted to analysing, measuring and explaining what 'disadvantage' is. My Masters thesis focused on British working class pupils' perceptions of elite Universities, and on the demographics of Universities Admissions. I worked each year as a student ambassador for the Cambridge Widening Participation team, and I received training from UCAS in my role as a UCAS and Clearing Advisor on TSR each Results Day since 2009 :dry:

First of all, home applicants and international applicants don't compete for places. UK Universities have separate quotas and arrangements for how many places they give to the two categories. Cambridge and Oxford don't have to choose between the so called underprivileged privately schooled kids from foreign countries and state school home applicants.

Secondly, there is research demonstrating that UK state school students perform better at University than their privately schooled peers do.

Thirdly, grades do not reliably indicate intelligence. Which is why both Cambridge and Oxford use a range of different assessment methods in order to judge which students to admit.

Finally, those pupils who do get in from poorer countries tend to be from their home country's elite. And they are most certainly more privileged than Britain's working classes are. Of course this is all moot, since as I said before... 'state schooled' does not mean 'poor' or 'disadvantaged'. Most state school applicants to Oxbridge are middle class. Barely any are working class.

As to how many international applicants get in and what their country of origin is, I don't feel like poring through the specifics. But perhaps you should do that if you want to be taken seriously.

How about you? Because you come across like an international applicant at a private international school. Referring to CNN in another thread earlier today didn't help...

If you don't know about something, frame it as a question. Or at least put 'I think' in front of it. Don't just mouth it off overconfidently. It makes you look really silly. And there are other people on TSR who know a lot more than you or I do about the ins and outs of this. Not least actual Admissions staff from Oxford and Cambridge :facepalm2:

Then I will get my teacher to contact staff from the Oxford Astrophysics Department. End of Conversation.....

no honey, you're not going to do any of that with your unfounded self superiority
Then I will get my teacher to contact staff from the Oxford Astrophysics Department. End of Conversation.....
To say what exactly?

I'm really hoping they find your posts here :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending