The Student Room Group

I want my country back. Who took it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sinatraa
Trump has basically said anything that doesn't agree with him is fake news. I also found it quite disgusting the way he doesn't talk to and shuts down free speech of those media outlets. He's a childish man who' exercising his thirst for confirmation bias.

He's already denying global warming, which is something you really cannot believe in unless you live under a rock. The proof is overwhelming and with US as a major world power, I would have hoped they would try to lead the world in this issue.
Original post by Qinge
He's already denying global warming, which is something you really cannot believe in unless you live under a rock. The proof is overwhelming and with US as a major world power, I would have hoped they would try to lead the world in this issue.

The silver lining I guess is to see where the trump supporters will be when we see just how bad he does. An in depth analysis of his cabinet will already show how bad it is. The kind of people he hired are just beyond belief.
Reply 42
The silver lining I guess is to see where the trump supporters will be when we see just how bad he does. An in depth analysis of his cabinet will already show how bad it is. The kind of people he hired are just beyond belief.

Well what do you expect from a man with 0 political experience? I understand he's a 'successful' businessman (disregarding his small loans of 1,000,000 and the time he went bankrupt), but running a business and a country are not the same thing.
Original post by LisaNikita
Got that passport which enables me to take your benefits

Woah, they're not mine.
Original post by Qinge
I keep seeing this, when people talk about voting leave. Who took are these horrible crooks, who took your beloved rainy island?

England, about 700 years ago.
Trump has basically said anything that doesn't agree with him is fake news. I also found it quite disgusting the way he doesn't talk to and shuts down free speech of those media outlets. He's a childish man who' exercising his thirst for confirmation bias.

"Someone said something bad about me, better run to Twitter and say something bad about them".

Reminds me of primary school and early secondary school.
Soz, FINDERS KEEPERS :wink:
Yep keep digging that hole. As soon as you realised nobody found it funny, you start to act dumb and pretend you don't know why. Nice try. It's obviously a figure of speech to show we've now got control over our country, as opposed to the people in the EU
Reply 48
Original post by That'sGreat
Yep keep digging that hole. As soon as you realised nobody found it funny, you start to act dumb and pretend you don't know why. Nice try. It's obviously a figure of speech to show we've now got control over our country, as opposed to the people in the EU

I wanted to know people's opinion. And what about the EU you dislike, the economics of it, the politics or another feature, such as free movement of people.
Original post by Callicious
To be honest I'm a little interested in this discussion. I've a modest idea about the devolution of laws and the judicial systems in the EU, so don't take me for a foolhardy who doesn't understand his place on the issue, but I'm curious as to what others consider about the idea of taking Britain back.

I'll say I'm nonplussed on the issue for the sake of saying it, and I'd like to ask: Could anyone state what they intend to take back, with regard to Britain of course?

In essence, taking back the ability to hire and fire the people who make British laws. We are taking back the sovereignty of parliament and the supremacy of British law away from the ECJ. Simple as that.
Reply 50
Original post by midnightice
In essence, taking back the ability to hire and fire the people who make British laws. We are taking back the sovereignty of parliament and the supremacy of British law away from the ECJ. Simple as that.

What about some of the laws which were implemented by the EU which are good such as temperature regulation in work spaces and limits on hours spent in front of computers at work. Do you think that during the time of Brexit, it's better to revoke all EU laws or keep some. And Britain's power in influencing European Law?
The Queen of Belize took it.
Original post by Qinge
What about some of the laws which were implemented by the EU which are good such as temperature regulation in work spaces and limits on hours spent in front of computers at work. Do you think that during the time of Brexit, it's better to revoke all EU laws or keep some. And Britain's power in influencing European Law?

The Great Repeal Bill will automatically transfer all EU legislation into British law. From that point, parliament can scrutinise any element of previous legislation and decide to repeal or amend certain regulations. Anything major should require a fresh mandate in the 2020 general election.

Brexit is simply a process, not an event. If parliament wants to deregulate then we can. If they don't, then they won't. This is the beauty of finally having the ability to hire and fire those who legislate aspects of our daily lives. Something like scrapping VAT on energy bills seems likely, whereas amending the working time directive seems fairly unlikely due to the political hysteria that would ensue.

Britain's power in influencing European law has been completely overstated. EU fanatics like to preach about how our 'pooling of sovereignty' heightens our role, but it actually just dilutes our democracy significantly, and leaving will have virtually no difference on what laws are implemented in Brussels. In fact, with us gone, they're more likely to go full speed ahead with uncompetitive laws like the financial transaction tax, to London's benefit.

Britain played a leading role in establishing most of the single market. It's not going to evolve much more in the future so it makes greater sense to operate in coherence to EU regulations only when we trade with the EU, and to have a tailored approach to our domestic economy rather than universal common standards.
Original post by yudothis
"Someone said something bad about me, better run to Twitter and say something bad about them".

Reminds me of primary school and early secondary school.

In all honesty that doesnt bother me. It's the fact that he refuses to speak to media which challenge him
I took it.

It's mine now.
Original post by Qinge

oh heavens what would we do without the temperature regulation in work space legislation
Reply 56
What I love about the people who say that they "want their country back", are the first set of people to complain when it comes to hard work. Look at Nigel F, the guy ralled round the country for a Brexit then left after for everyone else to sort all it out.

It doesn't really matter though, because people will see him and others as great national heroes when in reality, he and his people have ****ed you over.
It's ironic because there was a spark in hate crime after the vote and brexiters were still saying "nope we're not racist or xenophobic at all".

I think there was less racism and more xenophobia.

there was a spark in hate crime after the vote

Well,if you believe the MSM there was.

If it is true that there was a spike in hate crime after the referendum, why don't you post a link to the official figures?

I've asked on other forums for this evidence but to date no one has managed to produce any.

Can you?
Original post by joe cooley
there was a spark in hate crime after the vote

Well,if you believe the MSM there was.

If it is true that there was a spike in hate crime after the referendum, why don't you post a link to the official figures?

I've asked on other forums for this evidence but to date no one has managed to produce any.

Can you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37640982

Of course if you're one of moron right wingers who think the BBC are fake news then that's your problem.

You've just deliberately turned a blind eye to it but it's there. Facts are facts.

I think people didnt bother finding it because you're an inept fool, it took me 3 seconds to find this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37640982

Of course if you're one of moron right wingers who think the BBC are fake news then that's your problem.

You've just deliberately turned a blind eye to it but it's there. Facts are facts.

I think people didnt bother finding it because you're an inept fool, it took me 3 seconds to find this.

Well, lets ignore you childish insults and stick with facts.

I did in fact ask for a link to official figures.

You didn't provide such a link.

Want another go?

Tip: The BBC, Guardian or whichever left wing organisation you allow to do your thinking for you does not qualify as official.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending