The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

SF certificate of HE funding cause problems with funding uni??

Hi I'm studying Cert of HE in computing full time with open university and then wish to transfer to MMUniversity to enrol second year once completed , I've just been told for the first time in all of this that it may cause me problems for funding when I wish to transfer to brick uni, apparently it won't cover all the tuition fees, I don't understand I know quite a few people who have used this method, this is the first I'm hearing all of this.

Ps: if this is the case would I be able to then study and complete second year and then take a sandwich course to fund third year??
Original post by MGatsby
Hi I'm studying Cert of HE in computing full time with open university and then wish to transfer to MMUniversity to enrol second year once completed , I've just been told for the first time in all of this that it may cause me problems for funding when I wish to transfer to brick uni, apparently it won't cover all the tuition fees, I don't understand I know quite a few people who have used this method, this is the first I'm hearing all of this.

Ps: if this is the case would I be able to then study and complete second year and then take a sandwich course to fund third year??

Your student loan entitlement is worked out using this calculation: length of degree (e.g. BSc 3 year degree) - years of previous university study + 1 'gift' year = number of years of student loan entitlement

If you take one year to complete your OU CertHE and then transfer into the second year of a brick university degree, you will get full funding.

If you take one year to complete your OU CertHE and then begin a brick university degree from scratch, you will get full funding.

If you take two years to complete your OU CertHE and then begin a brick university degree from scratch, you will have to pay the tuition fees for the first year yourself.

Basically, as long as you only study with the OU for one year, you will still have enough student loan left to complete a degree at a brick university (including a degree with a sandwich year).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
Your student loan entitlement is worked out using this calculation: length of degree (e.g. BSc 3 year degree) - years of previous university study + 1 'gift' year = number of years of student loan entitlement

If you take one year to complete your OU CertHE and then transfer into the second year of a brick university degree, you will get full funding.

If you take one year to complete your OU CertHE and then begin a brick university degree from scratch, you will get full funding.

If you take two years to complete your OU CertHE and then begin a brick university degree from scratch, you will have to pay the tuition fees for the first year yourself.

Basically, as long as you only study with the OU for one year, you will still have enough student loan left to complete a degree at a brick university (including a degree with a sandwich year).

One academic year as well, not one calendar year. Academic years run from October-June. So if you start this February that will be counted as having used 1 academic year, if you then continue onto your next modules starting in October that will count as a second academic year studied. Partial years are counted as full years, unless you can prove mitigating circumstances which prevented you from finishing the year.

It also doesn't matter if you self-fund or not. If you've studied at HE level, that is counted however it is funded.
Original post by SuperCat007
One academic year as well, not one calendar year. Academic years run from October-June. So if you start this February that will be counted as having used 1 academic year, if you then continue onto your next modules starting in October that will count as a second academic year studied. Partial years are counted as full years, unless you can prove mitigating circumstances which prevented you from finishing the year.

It also doesn't matter if you self-fund or not. If you've studied at HE level, that is counted however it is funded.

Yes, that's true. I saw you told the OP that the other day.

Personally, I think the OP should just do 60 credits with the OU this year and use them to gain admission into the first year of a brick university degree. That way they can ensure they will get funding, and they won't have to mess around looking for a university that accepts transfers.
Original post by Snufkin
Yes, that's true. I saw you told the OP that the other day.

Personally, I think the OP should just do 60 credits with the OU this year and use them to gain admission into the first year of a brick university degree. That way they can ensure they will get funding, and they won't have to mess around looking for a university that accepts transfers.

Indeed. It all seems so simple and so rosy until you get into the nitty gritty of it! Good old Student Finance!

Quick Reply

Latest