The Student Room Group

C's in GCSE double science enough for A-levels?

I haven't done my GCSE's yet but let's say that I only get a C in science would I still be able to do A-levels?
Original post by xDaniella7809
I haven't done my GCSE's yet but let's say that I only get a C in science would I still be able to do A-levels?

To do A levels? Yes, unless the plqce you want to go is super competitive.
Science A levels? Very unlikely, most places expect a double B to do Science A levels minimum
Reply 2
The short answer is yes. Sixth Forms tend to look at your overall performance when admitting people into sixth form. The Sixth Forms normally prefer that you have at least a B or higher in the subject you want to study at A-level, and some do have GCSE requirements to apply such as 5A*-C with maths and english for example.
Reply 3
Yes, you'll need 5 A*-C grades, C in English and Maths
I would check with the sixth form you'd like to go with first because every one is different, in my school you need a minimum of B's but that isn't the same with all. I'm sure it would be fine :smile:
Reply 5

Depends on the sixth form to be honest. I'm guessing you would want to get into a good one and they would ask for a minimum of A, but most sixth forms will except 5 A* to Cs.
No you can't have two c's for Alevel science but be two b's or two a's
Reply 7
You won't be able to A Level Sciences with CC in Double Science
Thank you for the replies and the one i'm intending to apply to states that I need B (grade 6 in the new 9-1 spec) to choose science as an A-leveI. Here is the problem.

I recently did a mock examination in science - on a higher paper - and I found that the science teachers were in the hall and were telling students answers to some of the questions which i found unfair. Since they aren't sure of the boundaries yet, they concluded that anyone who scored under 20 would be placed on a foundation paper - for the real one i assume. I only scored 8 and i'm frightened that i'll be placed on a foundation paper for the real GCSE'S. Some People in the highest block - one above me - are being placed on a foundation paper.

Is it possible to work back up to being placed on the higher tier?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for the replies and the one i'm intending to apply to states that I need B (grade 6 in the new 9-1 spec) to choose science as an A-leveI. Here is the problem.

I recently did a mock examination in science - on a higher paper - and I found that the science teachers were in the hall and were telling students answers to some of the questions which i found unfair. Since they aren't sure of the boundaries yet, they concluded that anyone who scored under 20 would be placed on a foundation paper - for the real one i assume. I only scored 8 and i'm frightened that i'll be placed on a foundation paper for the real GCSE'S. People in the highest set are being placed on a foundation paper.

I think so, when I did my GCSE Science, I was on foundation tier all through Year 9, Year 10 and even Year 11 till two months before the exam when they decided I was best off doing the higher tier when I got a high C in my mocks on the foundation paper. I'd either ask them to put you on higher if they don't, stating you'd feel as if you can achieve a higher grade than a C or show your dedication if they decide to put you on foundation tier and perhaps show revision notes or mock papers done at home where you've achieved a B.

I recently did a mock examination in science - on a higher paper - and I found that the science teachers were in the hall and were telling students answers to some of the questions which i found unfair. Since they aren't sure of the boundaries yet, they concluded that anyone who scored under 20 would be placed on a foundation paper - for the real one i assume. I only scored 8 and i'm frightened that i'll be placed on a foundation paper for the real GCSE'S. Some People in the highest block - one above me - are being placed on a foundation paper.

yes passion is volume
Reply 11
Yes of course you can work your way up to being placed on the higher tier. But, the teachers need to see that you're capable of doing the higher paper, and the only ways you're going to be able to show your capable is by performing well in the tests, as well as being active during the lessons (answering question etc...).

Quick Reply

Latest