The Student Room Group

SWAP Access to Health and Biological Science at Glasgow Clyde College

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about this course that I can pick their brains about.

I'm hoping to apply to it next year but was wondering if anyone has any advice, anything I can do to make my application a good one for it.

Thanks

Patrick
Reply 1
Hi Patrick, I've been trying to find out the same with very little luck! Let me know if you have any luck :smile:
Original post by Roxi.93
Hi Patrick, I've been trying to find out the same with very little luck! Let me know if you have any luck :smile:

Hi Roxi,

I've been chatting with someone running the course and applied fro augusts course what information are you after?
Reply 3
Original post by Patrick Hogg
Hi Roxi,

I've been chatting with someone running the course and applied fro augusts course what information are you after?

Hey Patrick, was wondering about the level of the entrance examination. I know it's designed to not need any preperation, I'm concerned my maths is a bit rusty!
I've applied for August start, so excited and nervous!
I've been given a practice entrance exam with some example of the questions if that helps? Do you have an email I can send it too?
Reply 5
Hi Patrick, I've inboxed you my email address. Thank you once again :smile:
Hi there. I have my interview on Thursday I was working if it would be possible if you could maybe send me these questions as I’m quite nervous.
Thanks very much ☺️ Zoe
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Zoeeborland
Hi there. I have my interview on Thursday I was working if it would be possible if you could maybe send me these questions as I’m quite nervous.
Thanks very much ☺️ Zoe

Hi zoe,
I'll see if I can find it and I'll send it to you do you have an email I can send it to?
Patrick
Reply 8
Hi there, I have an interview/test coming up for this course do you still have the practice questions and would you mind emailing me them also?
Reply 9
Original post by Carrie13
Hi there, I have an interview/test coming up for this course do you still have the practice questions and would you mind emailing me them also?

Hi there, I completed this course during 2019-2020 so you're welcome to ask me anything about it. In terms of the entrance examination it was all quite relaxed with the maths questions being quite basic. There were some percentage questions and I remember there being a ratio question. I can't remember any of the other questions but I would say just go over some nat 5 stuff and basic arithmetic. I was out of education 7 years and didn't find it too difficult.

For the other part of the entrance examination we were given a list of science based discussion questions and we were to write a short essay (if you can call it that, it was very short haha) answering one of the questions. I read a few science research articles beforehand and prepared something basic which I found was very helpful. If I remember correctly I answered a question about innovations in science and why I was interested in that so I was able to write about research into the gut microbiome. It was all very relaxed and what I had written was far from perfect but they just want an idea of where you're at with writing and also to see your interest in science in general I think. There were quite a number of different questions so you'll be able to find one that you can answer.

I would say don't worry too much about the entrance test it really was very chill but do prepare by going over some arithmetic and preparing something to write about. Unless it's changed dramatically from 2019 I think it will be the same more or less as when I did it.

If you have any other course specific questions I'd be happy to answer them as well!
Original post by KB1708
Hi there, I completed this course during 2019-2020 so you're welcome to ask me anything about it. In terms of the entrance examination it was all quite relaxed with the maths questions being quite basic. There were some percentage questions and I remember there being a ratio question. I can't remember any of the other questions but I would say just go over some nat 5 stuff and basic arithmetic. I was out of education 7 years and didn't find it too difficult.

For the other part of the entrance examination we were given a list of science based discussion questions and we were to write a short essay (if you can call it that, it was very short haha) answering one of the questions. I read a few science research articles beforehand and prepared something basic which I found was very helpful. If I remember correctly I answered a question about innovations in science and why I was interested in that so I was able to write about research into the gut microbiome. It was all very relaxed and what I had written was far from perfect but they just want an idea of where you're at with writing and also to see your interest in science in general I think. There were quite a number of different questions so you'll be able to find one that you can answer.

I would say don't worry too much about the entrance test it really was very chill but do prepare by going over some arithmetic and preparing something to write about. Unless it's changed dramatically from 2019 I think it will be the same more or less as when I did it.

If you have any other course specific questions I'd be happy to answer them as well!

This has been so helpful thank you so much! I was a bit anxious about the maths exam being out of education for 6 years myself but hearing that you've been out of education for the same amount of time, even a bit longer and you found it very relaxed and that the maths exam was pretty basic is very reassuring. This has been a great help, thank you! Can you remember roughly how long the interview/entrance exam was?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Carrie13
This has been so helpful thank you so much! I was a bit anxious about the maths exam being out of education for 6 years myself but hearing that you've been out of education for the same amount of time, even a bit longer and you found it very relaxed and that the maths exam was pretty basic is very reassuring. This has been a great help, thank you! Can you remember roughly how long the interview/entrance exam was?

You're welcome! I think it was around hour and a half. The interview portion was around 20 minutes, maybe less, and it was very relaxed and felt more like a conversation; he just asked what we had been doing since leaving education and stuff.
I think the exam was like 40 minutes? It may have been longer, my memory is a bit fuzzy but it was enough time to do both the maths and written portion. Also we were allowed a calculator for the maths questions which was good because I was a little worried about that! He also spoke to us about the course content for a bit so that also took up some time. But all in all it felt quite informal and the whole thing was definitely much less daunting than I thought it would be.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending