The Student Room Group

Maths mechanic M1 moments

Could some help me with this question please

A non-uniform rod AB of length 3M and mass 5kg is suspended in equilibrium in a horizontal position by ropes attached to point P and Q of the rod. AP=1m and AQ=2.5m. The tension in both ropes are equal. Find the distance of the Center of the mass of the rod from A

I don't understand how to find the centre all I know is that the equations formed will be equal to zero
Original post by Mf1999
Could some help me with this question please

A non-uniform rod AB of length 3M and mass 5kg is suspended in equilibrium in a horizontal position by ropes attached to point P and Q of the rod. AP=1m and AQ=2.5m. The tension in both ropes are equal. Find the distance of the Center of the mass of the rod from A

I don't understand how to find the centre all I know is that the equations formed will be equal to zero

Essentially you want to be solving moments about A which gives:

M(A):T+2.5T=a5gM(A) : T+2.5T=a\cdot 5g where aa is the distance from A to the centre of mass.

You have two unknowns, but if you now take moments about P you should be able to express TT in terms of aa.
Here is a fully worked solution.
best,
Yahia Ezzat
Reply 3
Original post by Yahia Ezzat
best,
Yahia Ezzat
u

Thank u so much
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Essentially you want to be solving moments about A which gives:

M(A):T+2.5T=a5gM(A) : T+2.5T=a\cdot 5g where aa is the distance from A to the centre of mass.

You have two unknowns, but if you now take moments about P you should be able to express TT in terms of aa.

I still don't get it I looked at the solution but I don't get how they got it could you possibly tell me what do to step by step??
Original post by Mf1999
I still don't get it I looked at the solution but I don't get how they got it could you possibly tell me what do to step by step??

Which part is it that you do not understand?
best,
Yahia Ezzat

This is against the forum rules. This has already been pointed out to you on previous threads, please try and be helpful without just providing full answers.
best,
Yahia Ezzat

Please don't post full solutions - by the way I would not give you full marks for this.

You have not defined your variables or explained why you are taking moments.
Reply 8
I figured it out never mind thank you

Quick Reply

Latest