The Student Room Group

Do you give money to the "Homeless"?

I was walking around Leeds City Centre the other day - and if any of you here know what I'm talking about - I was in that part of Leeds City Centre near the Bus Station / Corn Exchange and a young man, that looked like he had measles, came 'hobbling' towards me with crutches (in a way that clearly showed he didn't actually need them) and said "Got any change bruv". Now, usually, I avoid "homeless" people like the plague when I'm walking around but this one decided to stand right in front of me. So me being me, I said "Yes, but not for you" and I carried on walking and I heard him mutter "Fine I'll just go on the dole".

I see many people like this around Leeds, usually they just sit in the shadows of a corner with their seemingly well fed, well brushed, clean healthy dog beside them.

And then of course, anyone that knows Leeds City Centre will have seen the Flute Guy near the Town Hall!

I will never, ever give money to "homeless" people on the street - the reason is because:

1.) How do I know that they're actually homeless?
2.) How do I know that they're not going to spend it on drugs / alcohol?

Before you all get angry at me, I donate to Crisis as I know they will use the money in a way that will actually help people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've stopped recently. I remember when I was on holiday in Spain I accidentally gave it to a druggie. :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I usually just ignore them. There is this one person who pretends to be missing a leg but someone caught her walking down the street in Edinburgh perfectly healthy lol.
Reply 3
I give it to them to get them away. Also, I don't care if they spend it on their drug/alcohol fix. At the end of the day the government are too **** to provide rehabalitation to stop addiction so the only way they can go is to keep using.
Reply 4
Original post by saraxh
I've stopped recently. I remember when I was on holiday in Spain I accidentally gave it to a druggie. :s-smilie:

Yeah that's the exact thing that makes me not do it :frown:

Original post by leoq8
I usually just ignore them. There is this one person who pretends to be missing a leg but someone caught her walking down the street in Edinburgh perfectly healthy lol.

Well I really hope that that will turn into "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".

Original post by JooW
I give it to them to get them away. Also, I don't care if they spend it on their drug/alcohol fix. At the end of the day the government are too **** to provide rehabalitation to stop addiction so the only way they can go is to keep using.

Mhm.. I was in the pharmacy a few weeks ago and I saw this guy, clad in tracksuit, with a prescription that he said "Gave him his fix" - what is this?
Reply 5
Nope, I only give them food or a warm drink.
Reply 6
I give my money to the "Domeless"

They got no dome :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
Nope, I only give them food or a warm drink.

Sometimes I do think about doing this, but again, I worry that they're just pretending to be homeless to get free food. It really plays with my moral compass.
Reply 8
Original post by Davalla
I give my money to the "Domeless"

They got no dome :frown:

Dome? :h:
Your reply wasn't exactly kind.

Most charities will advise to not give directly to the homeless. It may be better to donate to the charity who's job it is to help.
Reply 10
Original post by hezzlington
Your reply wasn't exactly kind.

I wouldn't usually reply to them like that, but this one was clearly putting on a show. I've never seen anyone use 2 crutches with both of their feet still on the ground and then propel themselves towards people like they're at the Olympics
(edited 7 years ago)
If I got the change then yeah, they might spend it on drugs and booze but if no one gives money it wouldn't stop them getting drugs they would probably just shoplift or resort to something else
Reply 12
Original post by Casisalive
they would probably just shoplift or resort to something else

I wonder, do actual homeless people resort to crime in order to get sent to prison so they get shelter, food, etc.?
Original post by AshEntropy
I wonder, do actual homeless people resort to crime in order to get sent to prison so they get shelter, food, etc.?

There is some out there that are morally decent people and don't want the record but yeah I guess if there is a junkie they will just shoplift to get a fix and just chill in jail when they get caught but the only reason I can see of them not wanting to get caught is they can't get drugs for the same price inside
There is a shopping centre just 10 minutes from our school and I've always seen the same homeless person in the same spot. I don't give him money, I just buy him some food and/or a drink every so often when I have change spare.
Reply 15
Original post by SubZero~
I just buy him some food and/or a drink every so often when I have change spare.

That's very nice of you - I hope that they are actually homeless and that you're not being played a fool :h:
Reply 16
Original post by Casisalive
There is some out there that are morally decent people and don't want the record but yeah I guess if there is a junkie they will just shoplift to get a fix and just chill in jail when they get caught but the only reason I can see of them not wanting to get caught is they can't get drugs for the same price inside

It's sad that it has to come to that for some people
That's very nice of you - I hope that they are actually homeless and that you're not being played a fool :h:

Lol I hope so too.
It's sad that it has to come to that for some people

Addiction for ya
Reply 19
Sometimes I give change, but I prefer to give food or drink so at least I know where the money's going

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending