The Student Room Group

Do you give money to the "Homeless"?

Scroll to see replies

Yet again tarring everyone with the same brush.
It's impossible to judge on appearance
For example I know someone who walks with crutches exactly as you describe due to having a problem with both legs
I have always gone the food/drink route so that I do not directly contribute to drugs/alcohol
Do as you see fit but why is there a need to be so rude or nasty! No sorry usually works
You never know if you or someone close could end up the same way. Never say never especially in today's world!
The least humanity can offer to each other is a kind word
The OP reminds me of the girl in this scene: https://youtu.be/ZGFqi5UK0yM?t=125

I think you should give money to homeless people, yes. It's not hard to spot genuine homeless people, they are the ones avoiding crowds, riding on busses/the tube all day to keep warm or clinging to a an empty cup of tea in a cafe.
No, absolutely not. They're homeless for a reason, they had their chance and blew it.
No I wouldn't give to anybody on the street but there is no point making a big deal about how you look down on them.

I think when people feel they have to justify themselves in not giving to the homeless its because secretly they feel guilty and they want to try and make enough argument and justification to make them feel less guilty. If you don't want to give, don't give. If you do want to give, it's better to give through a charity.

I can understand why people find some of the more 'active' street begging a bit irritating or having an intimidating undercurrent. I think it's more of a problem in northern cities than southern cities. Down in London, Brighton, Oxford you see a lot of homeless people but they tend to be more passive, sitting on the side of a pavement quietly asking people for change as they walk past. But up in Manchester, Leeds and especially Sheffield you encounter people that just hang around in the street or around railway stations and try to engage in conversation and sometimes they can be a bit hostile and aggressive if you don't give. Councils and charities will try to engage with them and get them in more secure accommodation and help them eg through becoming Big Issue sellers but some just reject authority and help and are very difficult to assist and these will probably stay around on the streets and yes they often have alcohol or drug problems. So I wouldn't give them money and don't particularly like them coming up and hassling me. But they are in the position they are because of problems in their life or often because they have mental health problems too, they are vulnerable people and there's no point judging or mocking them even if you find them an annoyance.
I usually give a food or drink so that I know they're not using any money to do drugs or something else.
I live in a relatively small town but we have "homeless" people crawling around everywhere! I have to say, they're nice enough and never actually ask for money but my brothers have spotted several sneaking off back to their real house at night :K:
Reply 26
Original post by KaylaB
Sometimes I give change, but I prefer to give food or drink so at least I know where the money's going

Yeah that's understandable :h:

Original post by Sammylou40
For example I know someone who walks with crutches exactly as you describe due to having a problem with both legs

I don't know how to describe it, but they propelled themselves across the street using their crutches and landed on both feet like they were at the Olympic Games.

Original post by Snufkin
The OP reminds me of the girl in this scene: https://youtu.be/ZGFqi5UK0yM?t=125

What the - I'd never attack them! :s-smilie:

Original post by Len Goodman
No, absolutely not. They're homeless for a reason, they had their chance and blew it.

Uh oh dear I don't agree with you on that

Original post by TeenRose29
I usually give a food or drink so that I know they're not using any money to do drugs or something else.

Yeah that's probably the best option

Original post by MagicNMedicine

But up in Manchester, Leeds and especially Sheffield you encounter people that just hang around in the street or around railway stations and try to engage in conversation and sometimes they can be a bit hostile and aggressive if you don't give.

Oh yes indeed they are hostile and aggressive up here :redface:
Reply 27
Original post by stu.dying
my brothers have spotted several sneaking off back to their real house at night :K:

Yeah that's awful
Reply 28
I do like how Restaurants like Pret a Manger donate all their left over food to homeless shelters at the end of every day
Weren't you involved in a identical thread a week or two back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Moonstruck16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh? I haven't made a thread about this before have I? Let me check my thread history
Reply 31
Original post by Moonstruck16

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't find any :s-smilie:
Original post by AshEntropy
Huh? I haven't made a thread about this before have I? Let me check my thread history

Haha no I mean you were involved in it, not started it.

But in response to this thread, no I don't give money but I will buy things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think everyone should give money to the needy so yes I do make a point of giving money to the homeless. And I even donate clothes and food because charity is a big part of my faith.

But I suppose you're talking about giving money to the 'homeless' people who sit on the pavement by he parking meter or ATM. I generally do not if they are white because I know they get benefits so they're probably feeding their addiction habits. However if it is a person of colour I always give whatever I have.
Sometimes I do think about doing this, but again, I worry that they're just pretending to be homeless to get free food. It really plays with my moral compass.

Fakers wouldn't really want free food. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Reply 35
Yeah that's the exact thing that makes me not do it :frown:

Well I really hope that that will turn into "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".

Mhm.. I was in the pharmacy a few weeks ago and I saw this guy, clad in tracksuit, with a prescription that he said "Gave him his fix" - what is this?

So... one person? There are millions of people reliant on substances. If the government was doing a better job of providing monies to charities that aid the homeless instead of renewing Trident perhaps this may be a more common scene
Reply 36
Original post by JooW
So... one person? There are millions of people reliant on substances. If the government was doing a better job of providing monies to charities that aid the homeless instead of renewing Trident perhaps this may be a more common scene

Wha? Sorry - I wasn't being sarcastic, I actually meant "what is this" - what is the stuff they give them?
Original post by Galadrielll
I think everyone should give money to the needy so yes I do make a point of giving money to the homeless. And I even donate clothes and food because charity is a big part of my faith.

But I suppose you're talking about giving money to the 'homeless' people who sit on the pavement by he parking meter or ATM. I generally do not if they are white because I know they get benefits so they're probably feeding their addiction habits. However if it is a person of colour I always give whatever I have.

Like the charity giving but how on earth can you judge donation by colour????? There are plenty of single whites who don't get anything as well as other ethnic groups who know how to milk the system!!!!!
Reply 38
Original post by Galadrielll
donate clothes and food

Oh yes I always donate clothes :h:

Original post by Cherub012
Fakers wouldn't really want free food. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Mhm.. good point
Reply 39
Original post by Sammylou40
Like the charity giving but how on earth can you judge donation by colour????? There are plenty of single whites who don't get anything as well as other ethnic groups who know how to milk the system!!!!!

I agree with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending