St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
:yep: indeed

BSc Sustainable Development, you? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

English literature, hopefully! That sounds like a really interesting degree-if this isn't too personal what inspired you to choose it?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 761
Original post by johnjovie
Ah that's reassuring I suppose. I am just so worried, things like this make me so nervous!! If you don't mind me asking what grades etc were you applying with? :smile: don't feel obliged to share!

Well done on getting an offer btw :smile:

Thanks :smile: 10 A*s in GCSEs, and the equivalent of A*A*AA prediction (I do pre-us)
Where else are you applying??
I know exactly how you feel - didn't get my first offer for almost 2 months while lots of my friends had got 2+ after a week so I was super on edge for aaaages waiting & worrying that my PS must have been rubbish!! It will be alright in the end :smile:
Original post by Woody4v
Well done! I received an unconditional for MChem Chemistry for St Andrews the other day. I'm currently trying to decide between StA or Glasgow though for my firm choice! :tongue:

Well done! Where else have you applied? :smile:
Original post by Rolojo
Thanks :smile: 10 A*s in GCSEs, and the equivalent of A*A*AA prediction (I do pre-us)
Where else are you applying??
I know exactly how you feel - didn't get my first offer for almost 2 months while lots of my friends had got 2+ after a week so I was super on edge for aaaages waiting & worrying that my PS must have been rubbish!! It will be alright in the end :smile:

I got 5A*s, 5As, 1B, suddenly feeling less hopeful :frown: I'm predicted A*AAA and got AAAB in AS. Also applied to Durham and St. A's for English Lit and Philosophy combined. I didn't apply to many because I doubt I will go this year, I just applied because my college said to, however I am now caught up in this whole nervy process!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 764
I got 5A*s, 5As, 1B, suddenly feeling less hopeful :frown: I'm predicted A*AAA and got AAAB in AS. Also applied to Durham and St. A's for English Lit and Philosophy combined. I didn't apply to many because I doubt I will go this year, I just applied because my college said to, however I am now caught up in this whole nervy process!!!

Honestly don't worry - I saw someone on the philosophy thread who got a St A offer in November(!) with similar grades to you, and you are above the asking grades so definitely in with a good chance - good luck!

I am intrigued... what's the relevance of GCSE results? Do they consider it? I know some do (in England) and there are minimum requirements in maths and English... but beyond that why does it matter?

Don't they focus on AS results? As the barometer for predicted grade accuracy? I am not doing either so I find it interesting..
Original post by Econhopeful17
hey 😊 I have applied to economics. Has anyone had an offer yet? (I am Scottish applicant)

Well done to all offer holders! 🙌🏻

im a scottish applicant applied for econ & history! what are your grades like?
Original post by Lauren1498x
im a scottish applicant applied for econ & history! what are your grades like?

Hi grades are AAAAA at Higher, how about you? 😊
Hi grades are AAAAA at Higher, how about you? 😊

same, do you know if they look at predicted grades / and subjects taken in s6 at all or anything from Nat5?
same, do you know if they look at predicted grades / and subjects taken in s6 at all or anything from Nat5?

They need you to have certain grades at Nat 5 - maths and English pass, that's all. No extra consideration beyond meeting that requirement.

Then due to Scotland uni basing standard offers upon 1st sitting on Highers. Again if they like you, it will be an unconditional offer.

They can't nor does any where else make a conditional offer based upon AH as they deem that unfair as not everyone has access to the same AH across schools/college.

But I guess they must 'look at' the predicted grades regardless as otherwise why would they need to be submitted...

The exception to the unconditional offer is if some how you didn't meet the offer in 1st sitting and so needed to gain additional in 6th year.

But for us, no.

What I wonder is how common 5 A's are and thus I think PS and reference comes into play. I am disregarding a contextual offer as this doesn't apply to me and am guessing nor you.. 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
They need you to have certain grades at Nat 5 - maths and English pass, that's all. Nonextra consideration beyond meeting that requirement. Then due to Scotland uni basing standard offers upon 1st sitting on Highers. Again if they like you, it will be an unconditional offer. They can't nor does any where else make a conditional offer based upon AH as they deem that unfair as not everyone has access to the same AH across schools/college. But I guess they must 'look at' the predicted grades regardless as otherwise why would they need to be submitted... the exception to the unconditional offer is if some how you didn't meet the offer in 1st sitting and so needed to gain additional in 6th year. But for us, no. What I wonder is how common 5 A's are and thus I think PS and reference comes into play. I am disregarding a contextual offer as this doesn't apply to me and am guessing nor you.. 😊

that's good... because i didn't take AH maths so I hope that doesn't come into play. At the open day I went to the woman for economics just said as long as you've got the requirement in higher they won't care which I hope is true. The admissions person I spoke to as well as speaking to one of my friends says everyone will have 5As at higher and my friend says no one she knows doesn't have straight As :/ I've also phoned them as my ps also includes politics and they said that they do end up looking really closely at them since they have more than enough people to fill the places who have straight As :s-smilie:
that's good... because i didn't take AH maths so I hope that doesn't come into play. At the open day I went to the woman for economics just said as long as you've got the requirement in higher they won't care which I hope is true. The admissions person I spoke to as well as speaking to one of my friends says everyone will have 5As at higher and my friend says no one she knows doesn't have straight As :/ I've also phoned them as my ps also includes politics and they said that they do end up looking really closely at them since they have more than enough people to fill the places who have straight As :s-smilie:

Yes I think that's true! They base offers on achieved highers. I am taking AH Maths as was recommended it for Economics and Stats. Hmm am not that hopeful of an offer. It gets very arbitrary at the stage of picking through 'personal statements' so all we can do is fingers crossed! I do wish however, that they just make a decision accept or reject, to put us out of checking track 24/7 😂. Where else have u applied and have u heard from any where?
Yes I think that's true! They base offers on achieved highers. I am taking AH Maths as was recommended it for Economics and Stats. Hmm am not that hopeful of an offer. It gets very arbitrary at the stage of picking through 'personal statements' so all we can do is fingers crossed! I do wish however, that they just make a decision accept or reject, to put us out of checking track 24/7 😂. Where else have u applied and have u heard from any where?

do you do economics currently? i know it gets really mathsy at university level but I'm not super into econometrics but more macroeconomic theory so i just didn't take it lol. I'm not that hopeful either, i checked the track your application thing back in late October and it was sitting in pending decision and i just want them to tell me now their decision. i also applied to warwick, LSE, Oxford all for hispol which was probably a mistake since i'm better at economics than politics lol. I've got an offer from Warwick that I won't take and was rejected from oxford after interview and still waiting on lse. i applied to edinburgh for economics and politics and haven't heard but don't want to go there either! you?
do you do economics currently? i know it gets really mathsy at university level but I'm not super into econometrics but more macroeconomic theory so i just didn't take it lol. I'm not that hopeful either, i checked the track your application thing back in late October and it was sitting in pending decision and i just want them to tell me now their decision. i also applied to warwick, LSE, Oxford all for hispol which was probably a mistake since i'm better at economics than politics lol. I've got an offer from Warwick that I won't take and was rejected from oxford after interview and still waiting on lse. i applied to edinburgh for economics and politics and haven't heard but don't want to go there either! you?

Well Done on Warwick that's brilliant!
I am doing economics this year yes, just so I was sure I even enjoyed it. Stats is pretty easy and maths is interesting say 😂. I have also applied to Edinburgh - tapping fingers on table and really would love an offer to there....

I only applied the very end of Dec ....
(edited 7 years ago)
Well Done on Warwick that's brilliant!
I am doing economics this year yes, just so I was sure I even enjoyed it. Stats is pretty easy and maths is interesting say 😂. I have also applied to Edinburgh - tapping fingers on table and really would love an offer to there....

I only applied the very end of Dec ....

thanks! I wish I'd taken maths apparently the algebra is easy and the calculus is impossible but I'd rather do that than modern studies :/ good luck to you!
thanks! I wish I'd taken maths apparently the algebra is easy and the calculus is impossible but I'd rather do that than modern studies :/ good luck to you!

maths is mind boggling this year! Absolute best of luck to you too! Let me know when you hear back!
Original post by Atticaitfinch
English literature, hopefully! That sounds like a really interesting degree-if this isn't too personal what inspired you to choose it?

Cool :smile: is St A's your first choice?

Mostly the interdisciplinary nature of the subject :smile: besides I do have quite a lot of experience in this field like focusing on this topic during Model United Nations conferences and it was rather interesting to explore so I decided why not. Plus the subject I applied for with my PS was interdisciplinary so I needed a choice that worked xD
Original post by ElleCee
Got an offer for Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and External Placement today!! :biggrin: Anybody else? :smile:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I already texted you a few days ago! I am very happy for you!! :smile:

Applied for the same subject but still haven't heard anything back yet. Sadly I think that was it but .. that's life :smile:

At least no rejection till now :biggrin: (trying really hard right now to take this in a postive way) Is here anyone with the german Abitur and an offer from St. Andrews? It is so hard to convert the abitur grades in the a-level grades so it would be really good to know what the german st.andrews offer holders have in their abitur :colondollar::colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ElleCee
Well done! Where else have you applied? :smile:

My five choices were general chemistry at Glasgow, StA, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt and Strathclyde. What about you? :smile:
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hope you hear back soon :smile:

Interdisciplinary nature of the subject mostly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:

What kind of career do you hope to have with that degree/ masters/ PhD?

Quick Reply

Latest