The Student Room Group

Who here voted remain and who leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
That's what the absolute vast majority of Leavers also say.

Do you think it's true for the absolute vast majority of Leavers?

ps do note that I have made no issue about you personally.

Yes.
Original post by midnightice
Wow, a bit rude, don't you think? No need for the petty aggressive tone just because I take the view of the majority of respected economists.
How am I ignorant? Wow, you did a degree on this, well done, good for you. Newsflash, so have I!
Stiglitz isn't against free trade, he's against corporatist trade agreements, such as TPP, masquerading as free trade. No respected economist thinks tariffs leave people on the whole better off. That's illiterate.

Dude... I don't have time. You picked this fight, not me. I have zero interest in debating this.
It is complex because whether or not global poverty is lessened or exacerbated by free trade changes depending on which measures and examples you use to judge that. If you actually care, then have fun looking into it.

M. Wolf. Why Globalization Works. 2006. New Haven: Yale University Press. Pp. 3-19
M. Chossudovksy. The Globalization of Poverty: Impacts of IMF and World Bank Reforms. 1998. London: Zed Books. pp.15-72.
Scholte, J.A. 2000, Globalization. A Critical Introduction, Part I. London: Palgrave.
Guillen, M. 2001,Is globalization civilizing, destructive or feeble? A critique of five key debates in the social sciences literature‟, Annual Review of Sociology, 27: 235-60. R. Wade. 1996, 'Globalization and its limits', S. Berger and R. Dore (eds.), National Diversity and Global Capitalism, Cornell University Press.
W. Easterly. (2001). The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics. Cambridge MA, MIT Press
Barry Naughton. 1995. “China‟s Economic Success: Effective Reform Policies or Unique Conditions?” in The Evolutionary Transition to Capitalism. Westview Press. Bhagwati, J. 2004, In Defence of Globalization. OUP.

Otherwise have a nice weekend.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes.

Then like most of them, you are living a lie.
Original post by Rhythmical
I suppose you could question differences, although the poser I quoted, they appear to be perhaps still bitter of the result? I mean, at first, I was disheartened yes for obvious reasons having voted Remain, but we forget it's a democracy, the majority vote won and there isn't anything anyone here can do. I would say difference wise, it has appeared to me that a number of Remainers may come from families of an immigrant background, of course I don't know this to an extent, but it has been made apparent and it would make sense, since voting Leave meant a tougher crackdown on immigration which I fully support. I was very unsure of how I'd vote, it was my first time voting and I felt the pressure, did my research and came to the conclusion of Remain but I would never oppose of Brexit because I'm bitter or it didn't go quite in my favour, to be fair six months after voting, I can see some light in the tunnel, sure leaving the EU will include some slips and blips but I am confident that things could be on the up for the UK.

I would feel bitter, too, if I lost to hate propaganda and nationalism. Those are never good things.
Original post by Craghyrax
Dude... I don't have time. You picked this fight, not me. I have zero interest in debating this.
It is complex because whether or not global poverty is lessened or exacerbated by free trade changes depending on which measures and examples you use to judge that. If you actually care, then have fun looking into it.

M. Wolf. Why Globalization Works. 2006. New Haven: Yale University Press. Pp. 3-19
M. Chossudovksy. The Globalization of Poverty: Impacts of IMF and World Bank Reforms. 1998. London: Zed Books. pp.15-72.
Scholte, J.A. 2000, Globalization. A Critical Introduction, Part I. London: Palgrave.
Guillen, M. 2001,Is globalization civilizing, destructive or feeble? A critique of five key debates in the social sciences literature‟, Annual Review of Sociology, 27: 235-60. R. Wade. 1996, 'Globalization and its limits', S. Berger and R. Dore (eds.), National Diversity and Global Capitalism, Cornell University Press.
W. Easterly. (2001). The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics. Cambridge MA, MIT Press
Barry Naughton. 1995. “China‟s Economic Success: Effective Reform Policies or Unique Conditions?” in The Evolutionary Transition to Capitalism. Westview Press. Bhagwati, J. 2004, In Defence of Globalization. OUP.

Otherwise have a nice weekend.

Cute grandstanding.

I'm very well read on the various economic, sociological and political implications of globalisation, thank you very much, hence why I share the consensus that neoliberalism has been greatest force of good in the history of mankind. Have a nice weekend, too.
I would feel bitter, too, if I lost to hate propaganda and nationalism. Those are never good things.

Well of course they aren't good things but like I mentioned in my previous point, it was a democracy and we can't change back time or influence Theresa May to not invoke Article 50 so we may as well 'accept it' as much as possible and atleast give it a chance.
Original post by Rhythmical
Well of course they aren't good things but like I mentioned in my previous point, it was a democracy and we can't change back time or influence Theresa May to not invoke Article 50 so we may as well 'accept it' as much as possible and atleast give it a chance.

That is exactly what Trump says too, people should stop attacking him and unify. Yet what he means by unify is not a coming together of him moving towards the other half of the country that he was mainly responsible for dividing, but the other half just "accepting it" and moving fully towards him.

Democracy is not about just "accepting it". Nor is it about giving it a chance. If it will happen it will happen, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to go down without a fight, or just "accept it" and move over...
That is exactly what Trump says too, people should stop attacking him and unify. Yet what he means by unify is not a coming together of him moving towards the other half of the country that he was mainly responsible for dividing, but the other half just "accepting it" and moving fully towards him.

Democracy is not about just "accepting it". Nor is it about giving it a chance. If it will happen it will happen, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to go down without a fight, or just "accept it" and move over...

What would you propose Remain voters do, if they are bitter about the result?
Reply 148
Couldn't vote but if I could I would have voted remain not because I support the EU or it's neoliberal means and aims but because I don't trust our government at all to get us through this leaving transition and respect our human rights and NHS after it. Also I fear the working class is going to have many rough years ahead.

Frankly I wish we never joined.
What did you study where and what is your job?
Didn't see this sorry. Cambridge for the BA and Masters. Finishing PhD at UEA right now. Handing in Tuesday and I have a really bad flu, hence being extremely short tempered right now.
For fun, we did a graph to show how our maths sets matched up with the people who wanted to leave or remain. Parents got sort of angry and they made sure everyone got rid of the results table in their books but I always keep a spare copy :wink: (Set 1 is the higher set and set 9 is the lower ability set).

Didn't see this sorry. Cambridge for the BA and Masters. Finishing PhD at UEA right now. Handing in Tuesday and I have a really bad flu, hence being extremely short tempered right now.

And subject?
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
For fun, we did a graph to show how our maths sets matched up with the people who wanted to leave or remain. Parents got sort of angry and they made sure everyone got rid of the results table in their books but I always keep a spare copy :wink: (Set 1 is the higher set and set 9 is the lower ability set).

Shocker :wink:

One thing though, what is the socio-economic background of your school and is it even across sets?
And subject?
Social and Political Sciences (now Human Social and Political Sciences (HSPS))
My niche is social theory, though.
Social and Political Sciences (now Human Social and Political Sciences (HSPS))
My niche is social theory, though.

That's very interesting!

And highly relevant with Brexit/Trump I believe.
Shocker :wink:

One thing though, what is the socio-economic background of your school and is it even across sets?

We are quite a big school but we are rated well by Ofsted which is good.
That's very interesting!

And highly relevant with Brexit/Trump I believe.
Yep it was and it is. How about yourself?
Reply 157
Original post by 152mmOfDerp

9sets?

wtf lol
Original post by Yaboi
9sets?

wtf lol

Big school, we have around 2000 students from year 9 - 11
Then like most of them, you are living a lie.

Sure, great. I'm going to kill myself before the effects take place so not much skin off my back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending