The Student Room Group

Casual homophobia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Fergo
There's a difference between disagreeing and voicing that disagreement to the other.

Would you be fine with someone telling you in your face that s/he hates 'blacks'?

If not, that's your own problem tbh.

Even if they said that behind my back, that's still racist. What reason is there to hate blacks? Do we do something that is different to other races? I think not
Reply 81
Original post by cherryred90s
Even if they said that behind my back, that's still racist. What reason is there to hate blacks? Do we do something that is different to other races? I think not

Well, you get my point then.
Original post by Inexorably
I think the problem you lot are having is by using the incredibly ambiguous term 'disagreeing' - what do you mean by all of this? You can disagree with something so much that you think it ought not be allowed which is pretty much homophobia, but then likewise you can just disagree with the idea of something yet allow for the principle to happen.

So I think both of you (well afaik there are like 4 of you debating this but I mean you + OP) are correct, you're just equivocating the word 'disagree'.

You can disagree with the idea of two people of the same sex engaging in sexual activity. I wouldn't say that it shouldn't be allowed, because it's between two consenting people, and those two people are the only ones affected by the act, so an outsider has no business telling them what they should and should not be doing.

What makes you a homophobe is if you act on this disagreement by treating them differently, calling them derogatory names and generally discriminating against homosexuals.
Original post by _Fergo
Well, you get my point then.

No, because theres nothing that is exclusive to black people, so what would you be disagreeing on?
Reply 84
No, because theres nothing that is exclusive to black people, so what would you be disagreeing on?

What? I drew a comparison between 'homosexual behaviour' (whatever that is) and the skin of the colour.

Voicing your opinion on either can clearly hurt a person, and one gets nothing from doing so. Simple.
I have a girlfriend, and yes I'm a girl. What I don't like is how PC everything's getting. Several gay people I know are actually being derogatory to straight people, which I hate. And then of course there's the ones who thinks it makes them special and have to bring it up all the damn time. I just say be gay, be straight, do whatever the hell you want just stop getting so offended over everything! I just shrug it off.
I'm with ^^. I fit in to several minorities but I think society is becoming way too PC. There is no excuse for spreading hate, but there is also a reason why sjws get a bad rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
What? I drew a comparison between 'homosexual behaviour' (whatever that is) and the skin of the colour.

Voicing your opinion on either can clearly hurt a person, and one gets nothing from doing so. Simple.

And my point is that you can't compare them. Tell me why someone would 'disagree' with my skin colour? Is there something that I do that nobody else does?
It's a really stupid comparison
Original post by stu.dying
I have a girlfriend, and yes I'm a girl. What I don't like is how PC everything's getting. Several gay people I know are actually being derogatory to straight people, which I hate. And then of course there's the ones who thinks it makes them special and have to bring it up all the damn time. I just say be gay, be straight, do whatever the hell you want just stop getting so offended over everything! I just shrug it off.

^THIS.

I do wonder why gay people sometimes think everyone's interested in their sexuality. Like it always has to be a topic of conversation.
Reply 89
And my point is that you can't compare them. Tell me why someone would 'disagree' with my skin colour? Is there something that I do that nobody else does?
It's a really stupid comparison

Why not? Because it doesn't suit your personal opinion? Both are forms of discrimination - nothing else needs to be said.

You're also implicitly suggesting that there IS something wrong with homosexuality, which is pretty low.

This is not about being able to do something or not, not at all. It's about how some people like to hurt others for no good reason.
Original post by _Fergo
Why not? Because it doesn't suit your personal opinion? Both are forms of discrimination - nothing else needs to be said.

You're also implicitly suggesting that there IS something wrong with homosexuality, which is pretty low.

This is not about being able to do something or not, not at all. It's about how some people like to hurt others for no good reason.

You just don't get it. There is something exclusive to gay people who are sexually active. There is nothing exclusive to black people, therefore there is nothing to disagree about.

Not everyone agrees with the idea of two people of the same sex engaging in sexual activity. Even some straight people engage in such behaviour, you can always disagree with a choice. My skin colour is not a choice. Disability is not a choice. Homosexuality is not a choice. Sex with someone of the same gender is a choice.

How am I implying that there is something wrong with homosexuality?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
You just don't get it. There is something exclusive to gay people who are sexually active. There is nothing exclusive to black people, therefore there is nothing to disagree about.

Not everyone agrees with the idea of two people of the same sex engaging in sexual activity. Even some straight people engage in such behaviour, you can always disagree with a choice. My skin colour is not a choice. Disability is not a choice. Homosexuality is not a choice. Sex with someone of the same gender is a choice.

How am I implying that there is something wrong with homosexuality?

I did get your point, it's just that it makes no difference to what I'm saying.

Whether someone agrees or not, as I've already said, is immaterial. You don't need to voice that opinion when you clearly get no benefit. Choice or not, it just doesn't matter.

Well, the 'something I do that nobody else does' had to me negative undertones.
Original post by _Fergo
I did get your point, it's just that it makes no difference to what I'm saying.

Whether someone agrees or not, as I've already said, is immaterial. You don't need to voice that opinion when you clearly get no benefit. Choice or not, it just doesn't matter.

Well, the 'something I do that nobody else does' had to me negative undertones.

But nobody would have voiced their opinion if this thread hadn't been made. So people should only voice their opinion if it's in agreement with the OP from now on? Isn't it for the benefit of the OP to get honest opinions about a particular topic?
Reply 93
But nobody would have voiced their opinion if this thread hadn't been made. So people should only voice their opinion if it's in agreement with the OP from now on? Isn't it for the benefit of the OP to get honest opinions about a particular topic?

I was replying to a specific post, not the thread itself. He said why shouldn't he openly disagree with 'homosexual behaviour', when the poster before noted that homosexuality is not a choice.

And to that I replied.
Reply 94
How is that homophobia just because you disagree? Disagreeing with it doesn't mean you dislike gay people, or will treat them any differently. If I disagree with Islam, does that make me an islamophobe? you people need to stop calling everything homophobic.

So what exactly do you disagree with then?!? Clearly whatever reason it is that you "disagree" with homosexuality is, it's not strong enough to make you dislike gay people or treat them differently so in that case I'm just wondering where the issue is. Why disagree with something that isn't affecting you?

Islam is a religion, it's not a sexual orientation?
Homosexual behaviour is also a choice. Does somebody force you to have sex? A lot of things exist that we disagree with e.g incest, pedophilia. Not once did I say that being gay is the act of sex only, so I don't know where you got that from. My point is that you are free to do as you please, and I am free to disagree. That doesn't warrant name calling or hatred.

Does somebody force straight people to have sex? Expecting gay people to not have sex their entire lives is just as harmful as expecting straight people not to have sex their entire lives. So no it's not a choice anymore than it is for straight people.Would you also say that straight behaviour is a choice?
Incest is different because they are not exclusively attracted to family members.They can be attracted to anyone.Its also very often an abusive relationship because one party in general has power over the other one eg.a mother and son.Peadophilia is obviously harmful to children so the two are not comparable.
Calling people out on their hatred is not hatred. I'm quite bored of religious people saying they are getting persecuted when they are themselves doing the persecution.Its ridiculous.Being intolerant of intolerance is not a bad thing.
Reply 96
Original post by Robby2312
No because Islam is something you choose.Whearas homosexuality is something inherent to your being just as being straight is.

Do you really think religion is something people choose? I mean sure, it's a box you decide to put yourself in, but a belief is a deep rooted thing, you just find the box that best suits that belief. I believe that there is some form of higher power than what we know. I haven't found a suitable religious box as of yet so I deem myself agnostic. That's not a choice, that's just what I am.

In the same way as sexuality, everyone is different, people just grab the label that fits best.
Original post by Dheorl
Do you really think religion is something people choose? I mean sure, it's a box you decide to put yourself in, but a belief is a deep rooted thing, you just find the box that best suits that belief. I believe that there is some form of higher power than what we know. I haven't found a suitable religious box as of yet so I deem myself agnostic. That's not a choice, that's just what I am.

In the same way as sexuality, everyone is different, people just grab the label that fits best.

In general they are indoctrinated into religion.So maybe less of a choice.The difference is you can choose to stop being religious.I know because I've done it.The same is not true for being gay.
Reply 98
Original post by Dheorl

Sexuality is part of biology. Every single person who ever existed/exists on the planet has a sexuality, whether that be hetero/homo/pan/bi or anything else. Nobody chooses which sexuality they have and there is absolutely no way of changing or "modifying" it. You're stuck with it.

People can change their religion. Some people go through multiple religions in their lifetime. It's not like homosexuality at all.
Original post by _Fergo
What is homosexual behaviour even? Is there something called straight behaviour?

If by that you're referring to 'homosexual sex', why do you feel the need to express your disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'm referring to homosexual sex.

I don't really feel the need to express disagreement. The OP is asking "how can one disagree with something that simply exists?" So I'm making the distinction between homosexuality as an orientation and homosexual activity as in a set of actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending