The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soccermom39
Thanks! :smile:

What kind of career do you hope to have with that degree/ masters/ PhD?

Honestly I don't know :/ that's what I love about St Andrews, in your first year you can take three subjects so you can look into careers once you get there. I assume it will be either research or public policy related positions though.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by wolfmoon88
Honestly I don't know :/ that's what I love about St Andrews, in your first year you can take three subjects so you can look into careers once you get there. I assume it will be either research or public policy related positions though.

Yeah, I like how you can kind of mix and match, I could never do just one subject at uni, it'd be too boring. I like learning a range of stuff and I'm pretty interested in research too
Yeah, I like how you can kind of mix and match, I could never do just one subject at uni, it'd be too boring. I like learning a range of stuff and I'm pretty interested in research too

Same here :smile: have you thought about what subjects you would like to do other than your chosen subject? I think for me it would be Biology and Social Anthropology/International Relations/History/Earth Sciences/Geography :tongue: xD

That's cool :smile: yeah learning one subject would def be too boring :tongue:
Same here :smile: have you thought about what subjects you would like to do other than your chosen subject? I think for me it would be Biology and Social Anthropology/International Relations/History/Earth Sciences/Geography :tongue: xD

That's cool :smile: yeah learning one subject would def be too boring :tongue:

Well, I quite like History, Classics, Latin and French. Social Anthropology, Earth Sciences and Geography also interest me :smile:

It's time like this I wish I were immortal so I could study everything I want aha
Original post by Rolojo
Me too - AAB! Still waiting to hear from Edinburgh but I had been planning on firming Durham (3As) but now I'm really torn between it and St A because St Andrews look higher in the rankings for lower grades, although I should be able to get 3 As...

Congrats!! I'm also waiting on Edinburgh, but very likely to firm St A because its ranked so highly and the course looks incred, plus I love the idea of a smaller uni. Why do you want to firm Durham? You could choose St A as an insurance, seeing as their offer is lower?
Well, I quite like History, Classics, Latin and French. Social Anthropology, Earth Sciences and Geography also interest me :smile:

It's time like this I wish I were immortal so I could study everything I want aha

Haha I love how you can mix and match arts and sciences in St A's it's brilliant! Have you taken Classics in A Levels? I remember that you applied for Econ? Sorry if I'm wrong!

Same here, everything is so interconnected and interesting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Original post by fandom-queen
KILL ME.

I guess I'm as good as rejected now. Everyone's already getting offers........

No, don't say that. There are many reasons why they might be delayed. Don't worry yourself.
Haha I love how you can mix and match arts and sciences in St A's it's brilliant! Have you taken Classics in A Levels? I remember that you applied for Econ? Sorry if I'm wrong!

Same here, everything is so interconnected and interesting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I didn't unfortunately, I didn't realise what it was until A2 and by then it was too late, plus I was told to focus on my 3 A levels and EPQ at A2 instead of taking an AS with it (even then I would've taken maths). It's a shame too because I've done some research into Spartans and Romans before and I thought it was really interesting and I'm also trying to learn Latin right now while learning even more about Romans, I also really enjoy the Victorian era and anything to do with Ancient Greece, especially the literature; the Odyssey and the Iliad is on the syllabus in my school, the former is one I aim to read in the next 5 years (I have like 22 other books to read). What about you, do you take it?

And yeah and philosophy. Yeah, it really is :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I didn't unfortunately, I didn't realise what it was until A2 and by then it was too late, plus I was told to focus on my 3 A levels and EPQ at A2 instead of taking an AS with it (even then I would've taken maths). It's a shame too because I've done some research into Spartans and Romans before and I thought it was really interesting and I'm also trying to learn Latin right now while learning even more about Romans, I also really enjoy the Victorian era and anything to do with Ancient Greece, especially the literature; the Odyssey and the Iliad is on the syllabus in my school, the former is one I aim to read in the next 5 years (I have like 22 other books to read). What about you, do you take it?

And yeah and philosophy. Yeah, it really is :smile:

I did take it before... and I didn't really enjoy it :rofl: I took Classics up until 1st year of IB then I dropped it. Ancient Greek was pretty difficult because of the grammar and it's a whole different language. I definitely enjoyed Latin more but translating random pieces of Latin text at 8 am in the morning was just :colonhash:

Oh cool :tongue: going the Adam Smith route? Classics/History might be a fitting choice then :biggrin: -tbh both subjects can be connected with anything even Sustainable Development

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aminxv
No, don't say that. There are many reasons why they might be delayed. Don't worry yourself.

I sincerely hope so. Thank you.

What have you applied for? Get in?
Original post by simone0110
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I already texted you a few days ago! I am very happy for you!! :smile:

Applied for the same subject but still haven't heard anything back yet. Sadly I think that was it but .. that's life :smile:

At least no rejection till now :biggrin: (trying really hard right now to take this in a postive way) Is here anyone with the german Abitur and an offer from St. Andrews? It is so hard to convert the abitur grades in the a-level grades so it would be really good to know what the german st.andrews offer holders have in their abitur :colondollar::colondollar:

Thank you!! Don't worry, no news is good news! I'm sure you'll get an offer soon :smile:
Original post by ElleCee
Thank you!! Don't worry, no news is good news! I'm sure you'll get an offer soon :smile:

You're right but if feels like everybody on this thread has an offer, exept me. :facepalm:

Nevermind, I should be studying for my biology exam an monday but I'm rather checking this thread:banghead:

I'll keep you updated as soon as they awnser me. Fingers crossed :smile::headbang:
Original post by Niamhie
Hi, I received my offer yesterday. Live in Scotland and applied at start of December. Are you RUK?

No, I'm from Scotland too. Hope I hear something soon. Is it straight chemistry you've got an offer for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Woody4v
My five choices were general chemistry at Glasgow, StA, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt and Strathclyde. What about you? :smile:

Which ones have you heard back from? :smile:
My five were chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA, Warwick, Durham, and Imperial, and natural sciences at Cambridge :smile:
Original post by simone0110
You're right but if feels like everybody on this thread has an offer, exept me. :facepalm:

Nevermind, I should be studying for my biology exam an monday but I'm rather checking this thread:banghead:

I'll keep you updated as soon as they awnser me. Fingers crossed :smile::headbang:

Yes keep me updated :smile: fingers crossed for you :crossedf: :biggrin:
Anyone heard back for maths? Im a scottish student and applied in November but still no response as of yet
Original post by mayushii29
No, I'm from Scotland too. Hope I hear something soon. Is it straight chemistry you've got an offer for?

Yeah, I applied for MCHEM. Is St. Andrews your first choice?
Original post by John1124
Anyone heard back for maths? Im a scottish student and applied in November but still no response as of yet

Two of my friends got offers for maths in November and are Scottish, but they applied before the Oxbridge deadline
Original post by Niamhie
Yeah, I applied for MCHEM. Is St. Andrews your first choice?

Haha, maybe it takes longer for the Chemistry with courses. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. St Andrews is my first choice now, and the last one to hear back from. And you?
Original post by mayushii29
Haha, maybe it takes longer for the Chemistry with courses. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. St Andrews is my first choice now, and the last one to hear back from. And you?

Yeah, St Andrews is my first choice. Heard back from Aberdeen and Glasgow as well. Just waiting on Edinburgh. Where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest