The Student Room Group

Who here voted remain and who leave?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
For fun, we did a graph to show how our maths sets matched up with the people who wanted to leave or remain. Parents got sort of angry and they made sure everyone got rid of the results table in their books but I always keep a spare copy :wink: (Set 1 is the higher set and set 9 is the lower ability set).

Quality teaching... the axis labelling 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would have voted Leave, and if it happened again, when I can vote, I still would vote Leave.
Original post by Eehaj
Quality teaching... the axis labelling 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I'm in set 3 myself and that never happened :ashamed:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Voted remain on the basis of it being the only way to protect this country's R&D industry (which has to be the way forward for us - become a technology hub, not a corporate tax haven) and at this point I'm unhappily looking forward to being proven right. Definitely don't regret voting the way I did, even if it was futile.

Why did you think voting remain was the only way to protect our R&D industry?
Voted Remain, and events since have just solidified that decision in my mind. My only regret is that I couldn't have convinced my older relatives to vote so (apparently they thought leaving the EU would save their pensions - not sure if that is true or not, but as the only reason for voting Leave it was pretty weak, especially when their sole reason for not listening to me was "you're young, you don't know anything").
Original post by Craghyrax
Yep it was and it is. How about yourself?

Mathematical Economics and Statistics. Work as an actuary now.
Original post by yudothis
Mathematical Economics and Statistics. Work as an actuary now.
Congrats. Maths hates me.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Sure, great. I'm going to kill myself before the effects take place so not much skin off my back.

Cool story.
We are quite a big school but we are rated well by Ofsted which is good.

Not really sure how that relates to my post?
Congrats. Maths hates me.

I suspect that's mutual though then?
Cool story.

True dat, in essence I am like those old people who voted leave even though they're on death's door, just wanna make things interesting for everyone
Not really sure how that relates to my post?

No, I don't either :smile:

Could you elaborate? I didn't really understand what you meant by your post, sorry :colondollar:
I suspect that's mutual though then?
Idk. I'd like to be good at it. I am geeky about metrics. I like problem solving... I'm good at social theory, which many people find too abstract to grasp. I'm logical :dontknow: I just don't have the right brain for it. I did A level Chemistry and I was getting 100% in some of my English Lit exams without any revision or preparation, and working my socks off at the Chemistry and getting terrible marks. I think you just have to accept in life that you're never going to be good at everything.

I'm working on learning coding now. I'm hoping I'll be able to follow after things get more abstract.
Idk. I'd like to be good at it. I am geeky about metrics. I like problem solving... I'm good at social theory, which many people find too abstract to grasp. I'm logical :dontknow: I just don't have the right brain for it. I did A level Chemistry and I was getting 100% in some of my English Lit exams without any revision or preparation, and working my socks off at the Chemistry and getting terrible marks. I think you just have to accept in life that you're never going to be good at everything.

I'm working on learning coding now. I'm hoping I'll be able to follow after things get more abstract.

That is interested, most people that aren't good at maths say they hate it and wouldn't say they are interested in metrics. And yes certainly, most people are not good at everything so to speak.

Ugh. Coding is probably the most useful tool at my chosen career that I hate. I wish I had a natural talent for it :/ what kind of coding are you learning?

Ugh. Coding is probably the most useful tool at my chosen career that I hate. I wish I had a natural talent for it :/ what kind of coding are you learning?

JavaScript right now. Want to master basic web dev skills first, for my own personal projects. After that I'll try out Python.
It is really useful, yeh. I just imagine you have to do it really regularly to avoid forgetting all the syntaxes and exceptions. Like any language.
No, I don't either :smile:

Could you elaborate? I didn't really understand what you meant by your post, sorry :colondollar:

On the surface your graph suggests less able kids vote leave. However, there may be multicollinearity in the sense that socio-economic background is the real driver. E.g. if all the kids in the lower sets are from working class backgrounds and all ones in higher sets are are intellectual middle class or upper class.
JavaScript right now. Want to master basic web dev skills first, for my own personal projects. After that I'll try out Python.
It is really useful, yeh. I just imagine you have to do it really regularly to avoid forgetting all the syntaxes and exceptions. Like any language.

Amen to the 2nd paragraph. I am in some regards super lazy and to me often it was knowing that it will be a lot of effort like a normal language to learn, and probably even easier to forget, what's the point. Together with apparently just not naturally being good at it...

And cool, I think after I qualify and after I learned Spanish, I will try to learn web dev skills. I always wanted to make my own website :smile:
Amen to the 2nd paragraph. I am in some regards super lazy and to me often it was knowing that it will be a lot of effort like a normal language to learn, and probably even easier to forget, what's the point. Together with apparently just not naturally being good at it...

This is basically why I sidestepped statistics at Uni. Didn't want bad grades and a headache for stuff I knew I was only going to forget and could just learn later if I ended up needing it for work. I'm more motivated with coding because there are uses for it when it comes to things I do in my spare time.
What does anyone think about this video? Even though he is a disgraced war criminal he makes some good points

[video="youtube;ak896NAZrCM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak896NAZrCM&t=654s[/video]
Original post by karl pilkington
What does anyone think about this video? Even though he is a disgraced war criminal he makes some good points

[video="youtube;ak896NAZrCM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak896NAZrCM&t=654s[/video]

I think he makes a very strong case with which I agree.

Call me Dave made the mistake of running a campaign based on dire negativity off the back of its success in the Scottish referendum and it backfired spectacularly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending