The Student Room Group

I want to learn pashtho

Hello everyone!

I recently made up my mind to learn pashtho. I have been looking around for resources for this language, however the one's from my google search don't look very good. I have found one textbook which I think will be useful but that too doesn't look very good.

I was wondering whether anyone on here had learnt pashto? If so, what resources did you use to learn ?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

why? it's just a s**t version of urdu
Its pashto*
Why do you want to learn Pashto?
I assume you're not Pakistani or Afghanistani
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alkaline.

How rude.
Thankfully I know farsi/dari and a bit of urdu and pashto.
why?

Original post by years101
Its pashto*

Hi, sorry for misspelling. I am Pakistani. I always see pathans/pashtuns who know urdu even if they are not from Pakistan. But I never see non-pathan/pashtun pakistanis who know pashto. I thought there would be no harm if I learnt some pashto.
How rude.

you will bear my children
Original post by I am the cloud
Hi, sorry for misspelling. I am Pakistani. I always see pathans/pashtuns who know urdu even if they are not from Pakistan. But I never see non-pathan/pashtun pakistanis who know pashto. I thought there would be no harm if I learnt some pashto.

Lol what? Pashtuns in Pakistan know Pashto and Urdu. Its the peshawari dialect lol dont you know that?

Some of my pakistani friends are balochi or from lahore and they still understand some pashto? Idk maybe you speak different urdu?
Lol what? Pashtuns in Pakistan know Pashto and Urdu. Its the peshawari dialect lol dont you know that?

Some of my pakistani friends are balochi or from lahore and they still understand some pashto? Idk maybe you speak different urdu?

I think you've misread my post or I've written it so badly that you've misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I know there are pathans/pashtuns in Pakistan who know both urdu and pashto. My best friend is one of them.

I don't think my urdu would be very different than that of a lahoris. I don't know whether balochi urdu is different.
Reply 8

No it is not.
Reply 9
OP, I am not sure but there must be something out therr to get you started eg youtube. It is nice you want to learn and all the best. Btw I am an Afghan and Pashtun.
Original post by h333
OP, I am not sure but there must be something out therr to get you started eg youtube. It is nice you want to learn and all the best. Btw I am an Afghan and Pashtun.

I've seen a few youtube videos but they didn't look very detailed. But I will keep on looking insha'Allah. Thank you for the recommendation. I know who you are.
Reply 11
I've seen a few youtube videos but they didn't look very detailed. But I will keep on looking insha'Allah. Thank you for the recommendation. I know who you are.

Oh yeah tbh Pashto is pretty hard and not much out there to help properly. It is such an old language. Insha'Allah , start from the basics. Welcome Do you have any friends that can help you out?
Oh you do? Lol. Do i Know you?
Original post by h333
Oh yeah tbh Pashto is pretty hard and not much out there to help properly. It is such an old language. Insha'Allah , start from the basics. Welcome Do you have any friends that can help you out?
Oh you do? Lol. Do i Know you?

My best friend is a pathan, I will ask him for help.
Yes, you know me.
Reply 13
My best friend is a pathan, I will ask him for help.
Yes, you know me.

Oh that's great.
Btw just looked on youtube and came across this channel:https://youtu.be/gn4iLEhfb8g
Looks ok and has so many lessons.
Reply 14
Its pashto*

Afghan*
Original post by h333
Oh that's great.
Btw just looked on youtube and came across this channel:https://youtu.be/gn4iLEhfb8g
Looks ok and has so many lessons.

Thank you for going to the trouble of finding that channel. I've noted the link and I will go through the videos on that channel. Could you possibly do me a favor and have a quick look at the pashto book I found? I just want to know whether it would be worth my time looking through it you see. It's seems to be a class room textbook and I am unsure whether it would be beneficial for me to go through if I don't actually have a proper teacher? By having a look, I just mean skim through a few pages literally, nothing more. The exercise pages don't have much text at all so it'll be quite quick.
(edited 7 years ago)
you can pick up quite a lot from this resource:

https://translate.google.com

سره د دې ښکلي ژبې د زده کړې د ښه بخت. کېدای شي ستاسو د پښو پر لار بيامونده شي.
Reply 17
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding that channel. I've noted the link and I will go through the videos on that channel. Could you possibly do me a favor and have a quick look at the pashto book I found? I just want to know whether it would be worth my time looking through it you see. It's seems to be a class room textbook and I am unsure whether it would be beneficial for me to go through if I don't actually have a proper teacher? By having a look, I just mean skim through a few pages literally, nothing more. The exercise pages don't have much text at all so it'll be quite quick.

Np. Which book?
If it is a classroom like book, yeah it will be hard without a teacher tbh.
Original post by the bear
you can pick up quite a lot from this resource:

https://translate.google.com

سره د دې ښکلي ژبې د زده کړې د ښه بخت. کېدای شي ستاسو د پښو پر لار بيامونده شي.

I might end up accidentally calling someone a khaar.
I might end up accidentally calling someone a khaar.

ما يو ټکسي غږ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending