The Student Room Group

Twitter beats its 2016 diversity goals but its workforce is still predominantly white

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you planning on spamming TSR this evening with "shocking" diversity statistics for various institutions?
Good God!

Who could give a ****, really?
It always confuses me when people complain about a "lack of women" in technology careers, for example, but nobody ever complains about a "lack of men" in nursing, for example.

Seems like society is quite inconsistent on these issues.

I don't really think diversity in itself matters much, as long as the recruitment system is fair and without bias.
Original post by Mathemagicien
No, but I don't think this sort of news should be brushed under the carpet, so to speak. Racism comes in many forms, and unconscious bias is one of them. There is sadly a lot of racial bias on TSR, and they need to realise how hard life is for non-whites.

You're full of ****.

You do it because you like the yummy feeling you get in your tummy when you show the world just how compassionate you are.
"Diversity goals"? What a load of rubbish. They should be picking people based off of merit, not off of some PC agenda.
Reply 6
No, but I don't think this sort of news should be brushed under the carpet, so to speak. Racism comes in many forms, and unconscious bias is one of them. There is sadly a lot of racial bias on TSR, and they need to realise how hard life is for non-whites.
I frankly couldn't care less if Twitter wanted all 140 of their characters to be IC1s but thanks for the heads up

Attitudes like this are what creates racism. Why on earth should there be an equal number of all races in the workplace when they don't make up an equal number of a country's population? You have no right to a job over someone else just because of your skin colour - thinking you do is racist towards everyone else. Here's an idea - let's employ the person most skilled for the job regardless of race or gender.
Reply 8
I would be more interested in the break up of democrats to republicans in the roles.

Do you think it is racist to hire the best person for the job if there is someone who will meet a quota for you?

This is why twitter is failing by hiring people for race not ability.

Quick hypothetical:

The person you love most in the world is in need of a life saving operation of a highly complex nature, there are two teams of surgeons you can choose from to carry out the operation.

Team A: Picked to meet equality quotas.

Team B. Picked on the basis of their skills and experience.

Which team would you pick?
Reply 10
Given a choice between an all-white team, and a diverse team, I would choose the diverse team. I don't think the white team would necessarily be more skilled or experienced, but diversity is good because a more diverse set of people are more likely to notice different things, because they won't have overlapping blind spots.

Why not answer the actual question?
The best qualified team or a team based on a quota system instead?
Given a choice between an all-white team, and a diverse team, I would choose the diverse team. I don't think the white team would necessarily be more skilled or experienced, but diversity is good because a more diverse set of people are more likely to notice different things, because they won't have overlapping blind spots.

All white team?

No one mentioned an all white team.

OMG!!!!!

You assumed that the team picked for their skills and experience was all white.

I am sure you referred to unconscious bias earlier.

You nasty racist swine you.

Priceless,
And this matters why?
Didn't you used to be massively right wing? What happened?
Reply 14
Yes, I'd choose the best qualified team, but I'd argue that quotas help increase qualifications, by accounting for the natural bias of the predominantly white employers.

So you would argue in favour of hiring based on race rather than qualifications and ability? and you assume that because employers are mainly whit they are racist

Saying you agree with quotas which go directly against the best qualified team idea and what MLK stood for "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
Reply 15
I've read it a few times but I'm not sure that was one of the options in the question you were asked

This is a totally a stupid thing to say, 10 white people vs 10 gay and black and some from africa and some from china. The only real difference in skill If that situation was presented to me I would choose the best team, I dont care if twitters staff is 70% black if they can prove that they chose the best.

In that situation it is not like someone is going to go "Oh I am Indian and due to that I have to know X or Y" How would a more diverse team notice more compared to a more skilled team
Original post by Zargabaath
Didn't you used to be massively right wing? What happened?

One word.

Spoiler

Diversity quota is pure racism, Giving someone preference over skin colour, If I was black I would feel offended if I got a job because I was black not because I was the best
Drink.

Nah, I have never been massively right-wing... I have always been at war with Eastasia always been far-left.

Maybe I'm getting you confused with someone else then, I think there was a right-wing Trumpet nationalist with Math at the start of their name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending