The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Applications

How important are ethnic and social factors to studying at Cambridge? I am white British, private school background and due to the contextual factors on disadvantaged or minority students, am I at a disadvantage?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by theford
How important are ethnic and social factors to studying at Cambridge? I am white British, private school background and due to the quotas on disadvantaged or minority students, am I at a disadvantage?

No. The only disadvantage you could face is if your GCSE grades aren't great and they see that you went to a private school.

You're privileged, accept that instead of making yourself seem disadvantaged for some reason.
Original post by theford
How important are ethnic and social factors to studying at Cambridge? I am white British, private school background and due to the quotas on disadvantaged or minority students, am I at a disadvantage?

i'd say school is a disadvantage, if you're getting below the average for your school. If you go to private school they'll be expecting you to do more and achieve more, so they can hold you to a higher standard,

If you have immense passion for your subject and can ace the entrance test and perform well at interview then no, it's not a disadvantage.
Reply 3
Original post by sinatraa
No. The only disadvantage you could face is if your GCSE grades aren't great and they see that you went to a private school.

You're privileged, accept that instead of making yourself seem disadvantaged for some reason.

I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE but the whole quota system is stressing me out!
Original post by theford

There are no 'quotas'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by theford

There's no such thing as quotas. Stop acting like the system is against privileged people.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
There are no 'quotas'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know there aren't quotas in the sense of company boards, but they do take contextual factors, like postcode or education into account.
Original post by theford

it's not really a quota per se but they will expect more from you going to a private school.
Reply 8
ITT: Victim complexes in the making
Original post by theford
I know there aren't quotas in the sense of company boards, but they do take contextual factors, like postcode or education into account.

Move house and change schools. It's not too late!
Original post by theford

Yes, they take contextual factors into account but if you're still performing well in relation to your peers, you're fine.

Privately education students are still disproportionately over-represented at Oxbridge, I assure you that even if the importance of contextual factors was upped, the system would still work more in your favour than against you.
Reply 11
Original post by h3rmit
ITT: Victim complexes in the making

Or trying to understand a complex system surrounded by myths and misconceptions? No 'victim complex' here.
Original post by theford

Correct. So, as you know there are no quotas why did you say there were? That kind of ill-formed thinking is hardly Oxbridge quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by sinatraa
There's no such thing as quotas. Stop acting like the system is against privileged people.

I'm not acting like its against anyone! I'm trying to understand the actual system which is surrounded by misconceptions, not whinging about my upbringing.
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
Correct. So, as you know there are no quotas why did you say there were? That kind of ill-formed thinking is hardly Oxbridge quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a generalisation of the contextual factors they account for? With all the myths surrounding this I think anyone can be forgiven for believing that this selection is akin to a diversity quota
Original post by theford
I'm not acting like its against anyone! I'm trying to understand the actual system which is surrounded by misconceptions, not whinging about my upbringing.

Well you're wrong. There's not quotas.
Original post by theford
It's a generalisation of the contextual factors they account for? With all the myths surrounding this I think anyone can be forgiven for believing that this selection is akin to a diversity quota

Oxbridge won't compromise on standards, I'm pretty sure both universities have said they're not pandering to this, just making it easier for those who are exceptionally able from disadvantaged backgrounds to be considered equally, in turn that makes anyone coming from an independent school held to a higher standard. That isn't like a quota
Reply 17
Original post by Lauren1498x
Oxbridge won't compromise on standards, I'm pretty sure both universities have said they're not pandering to this, just making it easier for those who are exceptionally able from disadvantaged backgrounds to be considered equally, in turn that makes anyone coming from an independent school held to a higher standard. That isn't like a quota

I know the actual system isn't a quota, I'm saying a lot of the information I've been told about the process is along the lines of Oxbridge having to accept a certain number of ethnic minority or state school students, which is false, I know the academic standards are of foremost importance. However, these myths make the system seem like a quota system prejudiced against privileged students, hence me asking this question on a forum to clarify what is fact and what's not.
Original post by theford
I know the actual system isn't a quota, I'm saying a lot of the information I've been told about the process is along the lines of Oxbridge having to accept a certain number of ethnic minority or state school students, which is false, I know the academic standards are of foremost importance. However, these myths make the system seem like a quota system prejudiced against privileged students, hence me asking this question on a forum to clarify what is fact and what's not.

'due to the quotas on disadvantaged or minority students' just made me think you thought there was a quota. All you can do is get top grades and do so much extra to show you're incredibly passionate about your subject
Reply 19
Original post by Lauren1498x
'due to the quotas on disadvantaged or minority students' just made me think you thought there was a quota. All you can do is get top grades and do so much extra to show you're incredibly passionate about your subject

That was poor wording I have admit. Thanks for making that clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending