The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mo_elheramy
I agree for maths, that maths hl is way harder than our maths so in that sense a 7 is not equal to an A*, but our chem and bio is slightly harder and I believe maths is the only exception. I was at an IB school and all my friends do IB so that's my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea A level bio and chem are slightly more difficult than IB bio and chem, but the trade off in difficulty is uneven, as we have 6 subjects + coursework for each subject, and EE, TOK etc. which are really challenging.

Also, the pass rate for A levels has been increasing over time, now at 99%. The pass rate for IB has always remained consistent at about 78%
Original post by spikyphoenix
Yea A level bio and chem are slightly more difficult than IB bio and chem, but the trade off in difficulty is uneven, as we have 6 subjects + coursework for each subject, and EE, TOK etc. which are really challenging.

Also, the pass rate for A levels has been increasing over time, now at 99%. The pass rate for IB has always remained consistent at about 78%

A pass at A Level is an E or above. The likelihood is that the pass rate for IB is a little higher, hence a lower percentage. And in general people are putting more effort into their A Levels so I don't think a high pass rate means much in the grand scheme of things anyways.

Mate most unis don't even care about predicts, and those who do ie barts and the london favor in a sense those doing ib because you get more tariff points. A pass in IB you need HL (4,4,4) or anything totaling to 12 (and nothing below a 3) but to pass A level you need an E which is equivalent to (2,2,2) IB. So you're comparing two different passing scores. I agree with you the normal ib students work harder than a normal a level student because you do have more subjects than us, but let's be honest, the percentage you require to get a 7 is way lower than our percentage required to get an A*, and your ib sl are pretty easy and ib pretty much doesn't allow you to take all 3 sciences together and maths, which in my opinion is a more difficult combination than chem, bio and itgs for example, but i guess it's just a matter of opinion and preference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus I just checked, passing rate for A level is not even 99% for A*-E more like 90

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mo_elheramy
Mate most unis don't even care about predicts, and those who do ie barts and the london favor in a sense those doing ib because you get more tariff points. A pass in IB you need HL (4,4,4) or anything totaling to 12 (and nothing below a 3) but to pass A level you need an E which is equivalent to (2,2,2) IB. So you're comparing two different passing scores. I agree with you the normal ib students work harder than a normal a level student because you do have more subjects than us, but let's be honest, the percentage you require to get a 7 is way lower than our percentage required to get an A*, and your ib sl are pretty easy and ib pretty much doesn't allow you to take all 3 sciences together and maths, which in my opinion is a more difficult combination than chem, bio and itgs for example, but i guess it's just a matter of opinion and preference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
The percentage needed for a 7 is usually 78% for the sciences (higher for maths and languages), so its pretty close to that of an A*. Even if the marks needed to pass A levels are lower, they are still easier, as the passing rate has been increasing over time, whereas the passing rate for IB has stayed constant. SL Math is very similar to A level math. Its Further Math that is comparable to Math HL <-- From a friend doing math at Cambridge who has looked at these subjects.
BTW I do 3 sciences at IB at HL (physics bio and chem). I'm one of the rare cases :smile:.
Fair enough.
The percentage needed for a 7 is usually 78% for the sciences (higher for maths and languages), so its pretty close to that of an A*. Even if the marks needed to pass A levels are lower, they are still easier, as the passing rate has been increasing over time, whereas the passing rate for IB has stayed constant. SL Math is very similar to A level math. Its Further Math that is comparable to Math HL <-- From a friend doing math at Cambridge who has looked at these subjects.
BTW I do 3 sciences at IB at HL (physics bio and chem). I'm one of the rare cases :smile:.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough.

If you haven't done A Levels then it's very difficult to state that they are easier when they're being made harder and harder each year. I still say that an increase in passing rate for A Levels is due to students working much harder than they had been before. And at the end of the day, a pass is always subjective depending on what the programme's expectation is of the students taking the exams. Not everyone taking A Levels is thinking of applying to university or a very competitive course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know the interview dates for Kings?
Original post by studentsixth
If you haven't done A Levels then it's very difficult to state that they are easier when they're being made harder and harder each year. I still say that an increase in passing rate for A Levels is due to students working much harder than they had been before. And at the end of the day, a pass is always subjective depending on what the programme's expectation is of the students taking the exams. Not everyone taking A Levels is thinking of applying to university or a very competitive course.

I haven't done A levels, but for our mocks and unit tests, we use A level papers instead of IB papers. From what I have looked at, there is very little difference between the 2.
Original post by Asian_persuasion
Does anyone know the interview dates for Kings?

I got an interview offer on March 28th, and when I asked to change it they gave me February 28th, so there must be interviews throughout March.
Original post by BHB2016
I got an interview offer on March 28th, and when I asked to change it they gave me February 28th, so there must be interviews throughout March.

Hey are you international? And congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it only interview performance that determines a place or do they look at the entire application at the end.
Original post by BHB2016

Ahh thanks! Hopefully I hear something back soon..
Original post by Cherub012
Is it only interview performance that determines a place or do they look at the entire application at the end.

They look at the entire application at the end. Its one of the few med schools that is truly holistic.

Usually just interview performance but someone had e-mailed them and they replied saying that it will be the entire application this year which seems a little nicer tbh
Usually just interview performance but someone had e-mailed them and they replied saying that it will be the entire application this year which seems a little nicer tbh

Meh, my ukcat could have been better. Thanks. :smile:

Btw, about the interview, how much time do we get to read the prompt?
Meh, my ukcat could have been better. Thanks. :smile:

Btw, about the interview, how much time do we get to read the prompt?

The interviewer reads that to you.
The interviewer reads that to you.

Well that's annoying. >.<

Whattt seriously?;0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pantego
Whattt seriously?;0

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently! Someone quite a few pages ago put up a photo of the message they got back which said this! They could be talking about a different course though but I don't think so!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending