The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

London college of fashion application 2017

Hi, I applied for fashion photography way back in December and I still haven't had any sort of email. I just wanted to know if anyone else was still waiting to hear back as well from any of the course they applied to. I swear, im going insane waiting to hear something. Anyone else in the same boat as me??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by paige458
Hi, I applied for fashion photography way back in December and I still haven't had any sort of email. I just wanted to know if anyone else was still waiting to hear back as well from any of the course they applied to. I swear, im going insane waiting to hear something. Anyone else in the same boat as me??

I applied for the hair and makeup for fashion course end of September!
I got an acknowledgement email on the 7th of October. I was so nervous for two months till I got an email to send in my portfolio on the 2nd of December.
Since then I'm waiting on a reply on whether I have an interview or not. So don't get disheartened as it's probably the busiest time now for them.
Does your course need an interview or a mini portfolio sent online?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kagiaa
I applied for the hair and makeup for fashion course end of September!
I got an acknowledgement email on the 7th of October. I was so nervous for two months till I got an email to send in my portfolio on the 2nd of December.
Since then I'm waiting on a reply on whether I have an interview or not. So don't get disheartened as it's probably the busiest time now for them.
Does your course need an interview or a mini portfolio sent online?

they ask for a mini portfolio. its making me really nervous because i haven't even been asked that yet and i heard the interviews are in February. i might just be freaking out way to much though cause i want it so bad
Reply 3
Does anyone know if you have to add photocopies of your sketchbooks in your online portfolio??
Reply 4
Does anyone know if you have to add photocopies of your sketchbooks in your online portfolio??

They don't ask you for specifics, you just have to give them what you think will show you well.

I gave them mostly final images of photoshoots I've done and a few mood boards to show how I created an idea or two.
I applied for Fashion Marketing on 19 December and I haven't even got an acknowledgement email from them but I have offers from 4 other unis I applied to.
Reply 6
Original post by weronikaiglewska
I applied for Fashion Marketing on 19 December and I haven't even got an acknowledgement email from them but I have offers from 4 other unis I applied to.

I haven't heard anything off them since the 16th December so maybe just after that they have been super busy as I did apply in September and they said in an email they will sort out early applicants asap so will possibly have a backload as it's now time to give out interviews and things now.
Reply 7
Original post by Kagiaa
I haven't heard anything off them since the 16th December so maybe just after that they have been super busy as I did apply in September and they said in an email they will sort out early applicants asap so will possibly have a backload as it's now time to give out interviews and things now.

I finally heard back from them this monday, which is why i have to send a mini portfolio now. I think they should be replying back by now??
Reply 8
I finally heard back from them this monday, which is why i have to send a mini portfolio now. I think they should be replying back by now??

That's good that you got an email! Good luck on the mini portfolio. What did you send in then?
For interviews it's a different thing and I've heard people getting them a week before.
It's a lot of work to go through people properly and look at their work without rushing and doing it fairly.
It could be any day now but I'm not stressing from what previous students have said to me ☺
Reply 9
Original post by Kagiaa
That's good that you got an email! Good luck on the mini portfolio. What did you send in then?
For interviews it's a different thing and I've heard people getting them a week before.
It's a lot of work to go through people properly and look at their work without rushing and doing it fairly.
It could be any day now but I'm not stressing from what previous students have said to me ☺

I sent them my photography with some scans of my sketchbook to show the process. I imagine I'll be waiting a bit before I hear anything, apparently the interviews for fashion photography take place between the 20th and 24th of February.

I'm worried I'm not gunna get past to the interview stage πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ I heard that for fashion photography they ask about designers and stuff
stem is more reliable than arts.
Reply 11
I sent them my photography with some scans of my sketchbook to show the process. I imagine I'll be waiting a bit before I hear anything, apparently the interviews for fashion photography take place between the 20th and 24th of February.

I'm worried I'm not gunna get past to the interview stage πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ͺ I heard that for fashion photography they ask about designers and stuff

Pretty much sounds the same for the hair and makeup for fashion course that I applied to.
Same interview week and they ask you about makeup artists and things.
I'm hoping that as I sent my application in September and my mini portfolio in middle December that I should hear back a little sooner? But I doubt it 😩.
Keep memorising different photographers and designers you like just in case they ask as it could be a make or brake! I've been memorising mua names.
Reply 12
Original post by Kagiaa
Pretty much sounds the same for the hair and makeup for fashion course that I applied to.
Same interview week and they ask you about makeup artists and things.
I'm hoping that as I sent my application in September and my mini portfolio in middle December that I should hear back a little sooner? But I doubt it 😩.
Keep memorising different photographers and designers you like just in case they ask as it could be a make or brake! I've been memorising mua names.

Honestly I've just seen work from other people who applying for fashion photography and I'm already starting freak out. I kinda feel like I'm not even going to get past to the interview which suck because I want this so bad 😭😭😭😭

I would have thought you'd had heard back by now, that's really surprising tbh. They're taking a while for you, I'm sorry 😭
Reply 13
Honestly I've just seen work from other people who applying for fashion photography and I'm already starting freak out. I kinda feel like I'm not even going to get past to the interview which suck because I want this so bad 😭😭😭😭

I would have thought you'd had heard back by now, that's really surprising tbh. They're taking a while for you, I'm sorry 😭

You shouldn't say that! Don't put yourself down. Just keep positive as being negative won't help ☺ I have not seen others as I know I will be thinking the same thing. While you have time before the interview maybe try and improve and where you feel like you need it so you feel happy about your work. That's what I'm doing as I felt I needed some few extra things and I'm working on them so I'm happy with what I show ual.

I've chatted to other applicants and past students. No one for my course has got an interview yet and from past students, typically you get the invite a week before so I'm not stressing about it. Just relieved it's not just me!
Reply 14
Original post by Kagiaa
You shouldn't say that! Don't put yourself down. Just keep positive as being negative won't help ☺ I have not seen others as I know I will be thinking the same thing. While you have time before the interview maybe try and improve and where you feel like you need it so you feel happy about your work. That's what I'm doing as I felt I needed some few extra things and I'm working on them so I'm happy with what I show ual.

I've chatted to other applicants and past students. No one for my course has got an interview yet and from past students, typically you get the invite a week before so I'm not stressing about it. Just relieved it's not just me!

I dont know why I even looked it was kinda a bad thing to do. Thats a good idea. I hoping I can do some more shoots to add into my portfolio before the interview. Its always good to have something fresh and new

Thats not so bad then, at least you know youre not the last one to wait and that its totally normal which it looks it is for london tbh
Reply 15
I dont know why I even looked it was kinda a bad thing to do. Thats a good idea. I hoping I can do some more shoots to add into my portfolio before the interview. Its always good to have something fresh and new

Thats not so bad then, at least you know youre not the last one to wait and that its totally normal which it looks it is for london tbh

Definitely try to get what you want before you go as you wouldn't want to speak about something you're not happy with.
Haha ikr, seems like it's like this with all the colleges. However, courses that don't need a portfolio seem to be getting interviews quickly but I can understand why so we just have to wait a little longer but I'm cool with it as I know about that so no need for the stress ☺.
It's all I want though I have worked so hard for this! πŸ˜‚
Reply 16
Original post by Kagiaa
Definitely try to get what you want before you go as you wouldn't want to speak about something you're not happy with.
Haha ikr, seems like it's like this with all the colleges. However, courses that don't need a portfolio seem to be getting interviews quickly but I can understand why so we just have to wait a little longer but I'm cool with it as I know about that so no need for the stress ☺.
It's all I want though I have worked so hard for this! πŸ˜‚

ive heard people who aren't doing an art course are getting in even without an interview. i guess patience is a key at the moment. I really hope you get in! especially if youve done so much work for it. I've only just started doing photography at the end of 2015 but I know i want to work with it in a fashion way
Reply 17
ive heard people who aren't doing an art course are getting in even without an interview. i guess patience is a key at the moment. I really hope you get in! especially if youve done so much work for it. I've only just started doing photography at the end of 2015 but I know i want to work with it in a fashion way

Yeah but that's the way really as I can totally understand that it takes longer, just unfortunate for us as that means we have to be more patient πŸ˜‚.
Yeah I really have put a lot of time getting a portfolio from shoots and creating a sketchbook while doing my media makeup course in college so I haven't done anything for myself since Christmas!
Good luck though, even if you're new to the subject that doesn't mean you don't deserve as much as others, just as long as you have passion and they see that really.
Reply 18
Original post by Kagiaa
Yeah but that's the way really as I can totally understand that it takes longer, just unfortunate for us as that means we have to be more patient πŸ˜‚.
Yeah I really have put a lot of time getting a portfolio from shoots and creating a sketchbook while doing my media makeup course in college so I haven't done anything for myself since Christmas!
Good luck though, even if you're new to the subject that doesn't mean you don't deserve as much as others, just as long as you have passion and they see that really.

It just feels so close yet so far away now πŸ˜‚πŸ™ by march this might be all done and it's scary to think we'll either be preparing for a different uni or London. It's my first choice, so fingers crossed.
I'm having to do all my photography college work so I don't have time to make a personal sketchbook, hopefully they'll like the ones I do for college. I'm really curious to see you work now, what type of make up do you do??
Reply 19
It just feels so close yet so far away now πŸ˜‚πŸ™ by march this might be all done and it's scary to think we'll either be preparing for a different uni or London. It's my first choice, so fingers crossed.
I'm having to do all my photography college work so I don't have time to make a personal sketchbook, hopefully they'll like the ones I do for college. I'm really curious to see you work now, what type of make up do you do??

Omg tell me about it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­ I'm just hoping all this dreaming about London is for a reason as like you it's all I want tbh too.
I have a lot to do for college too but I'm putting it off for uni haha. As I know I can do all my mood boards for college in march. In college we do all our practical in college as they don't allow you to use work you've done outside (so annoying) so the only thing really are the assignments which I have done most by now and the mood boards so I don't have as much to do lucky with my course. And I am not happy with what we have to do for college anyway.
I'm sure they would be fine as it's the same idea but for college so they will be able to see how you work either way. I don't see a problem it's just I hate how dumbed down we are in our college system.
Aw thanks haha. My own makeup I do on myself is on my intagram @bekkaharvey_mua and if you wanna see my photoshoot work it's on www.bekkaharveymua.wixsite.com/portfolio
I'd love to see your stuff! I love photography too really. Have a little Sony a5100.

Quick Reply