The Student Room Group

Coordinates Of Circle Center Further Maths GCSE

Capture.PNG
Absolutely no idea how to do this one...
Reply 1
Original post by Retsek
Capture.PNG

Are you familiar with the factorised form of the equation of a circle?

I.e. (xh)2+(yk)2=r2 (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2
Original post by Retsek

3(x2+y24x3y)+1=03(x^2+y^2-4x-3y)+1=0

Now complete the squares on x and y inside the bracket.
Reply 3
Original post by Retsek
Capture.PNG

Also this one, is it just trial and error?
Capture.PNG
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
3(x2+y24x3y)+1=03(x^2+y^2-4x-3y)+1=0

Now complete the squares on x and y inside the bracket.

Thanks a lot! I got that far before getting myself confused :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Retsek
Capture.PNG

Start visualising and drawing sketches.

if one of those lines are a tangent to the circle, then you know that one of those lines touch the circle at a single point. Bang all of them in to the circle equation and find out which touch the circle at a single point
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Retsek
Thanks a lot! I got that far before getting myself confused :s-smilie:

3(x^2+y^2-4x-3y)+1=0
3((x^2-4x)+(y^2-3y))+1=0

You know about completing the square right? As RDK said, just do that on the two inner brackets, and you'll get the answer (after some rearranging).
Original post by Retsek
Capture.PNG

Original post by Naruke
Start visualising and drawing sketches.

if one of those lines are a tangent to the circle, then you know that one of those lines touch the circle at a single point. Bang all of them in to the circle equation and find out which touch the circle at a single point

While this is rigorous and bound to give the correct answer, a quicker approach is to notice that the radius is 2 and centre at the origin - and so you're looking for a line which has a minimum distance from the origin as 2.

For example; the fourth equation fails this because the line crosses through (0,2)(0,\sqrt{2}) and (2,0)(\sqrt{2},0) and since 2<2\sqrt{2}<2 you have the line going through 2 axis points which are inside the circle, with minimum distance being less than 2 as a result.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Darth_Narwhale
3(x^2+y^2-4x-3y)+1=0
3((x^2-4x)+(y^2-3y))+1=0

You know about completing the square right? As RDK said, just do that on the two inner brackets, and you'll get the answer (after some rearranging).

Yep I got it now, thanks man
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
While this is rigorous and bound to give the correct answer, a quicker approach is to notice that the radius is 2 and centre at the origin - and so you're looking for a line which has a minimum distance from the origin as 2.

For example; the fourth equation fails this because the line crosses through (0,2)(0,\sqrt{2}) and (2,0)(\sqrt{2},0) and since 2<2\sqrt{2}<2 you have the line going through 2 axis points which are inside the circle, with minimum distance being less than 2 as a result.

Oh I see now, cheers

Quick Reply

Latest