The Student Room Group

Theresa May shows lack of courage as she refuses to condemn Trump

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38784199

This is pretty embarrassing. Trump's latest Executive Order has received condemnation from many European Countries and the United Nations.

While May promised that she'd be candid and stand up to Trump, the reality it seems is completely different. She flat out refused to share her views on Trumps ghastly discrimination against muslims.

It really does highlight that Brexit hasn't made the UK a strong, independent country. Instead, we are left to grovel and beg for partnerships - even when that involves sucking up to tyrants such as Trump and Erdogan.

It doesn't bode well for the UK. At the moment, it seems that we'll sell-out while accepting any deal a country throws our way - whether or not it is good for the UK.

What lack of courage? Perhaps she agrees with the sensible and courageous decision that Trump has made.
Original post by Palmyra
"you people" - so emotional.

She has acted in our national interest by being subservient. The U.S. is a larger economy than all the countries in the EU combined, so frankly we are going to have to accept whatever conditions the U.S. wants in order for us to reach a trade deal with them. It isn't going to be pretty, but we are not in a position to put our moral integrity or food safety regulations above our prosperity at this moment in time.

The US is a tiny trading partner with Britain compared to the EU. Maybe think about the implications of that? A 10% drop in trade with the EU (highly plausible if we leave the Single Market as May wants and we have to pay tariffs) will be larger than our entire trade with the US.

Add to that the fact that the US congress never approves any trade deal that is not heavily weighted in favour of US corporate interests and that they will inevitably force us to accept chlorinated chickens, hormonalised beef and the rest of it and the takeover of our NHS as part of any agreement.

Still think sucking up to Trump is the way to go?
A year ago, people condemned Obama for condemning a potential British vote to leave the EU - telling him to mind his own business. Now we're looking for our leader to meddle? Double standards much?
At the end of the day, we need to have a good relationship with the United States and President Trump. The US is our greatest ally and we do business with far worse, tyrannical leaders like Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin and the King of Saudi Arabia without many problems. It's just how international relations are. Make the most of every situation.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Pretty much, yep.
Reply 25
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The US is a tiny trading partner with Britain compared to the EU. Maybe think about the implications of that? A 10% drop in trade with the EU (highly plausible if we leave the Single Market as May wants and we have to pay tariffs) will be larger than our entire trade with the US.

Add to that the fact that the US congress never approves any trade deal that is not heavily weighted in favour of US corporate interests and that they will inevitably force us to accept chlorinated chickens, hormonalised beef and the rest of it and the takeover of our NHS as part of any agreement.

US makes all the things that matter.

How are you going to afford your iPhones and macbooks otherwise :sad:
Theresa May builds on President Trumps work, triggers even more snowflakes.

Good woman.
Reply 27
Original post by pmc:producer
A year ago, people condemned Obama for condemning a potential British vote to leave the EU - telling him to mind his own business. Now we're looking for our leader to meddle? Double standards much?

How do you know the people disappointed in May are the same people that disapproved of Obama's comments?
Original post by offhegoes
How do you know the people disappointed in May are the same people that disapproved of Obama's comments?

I don't. But I'm willing to bet my retirement there's an overlap. And in any case, consistency all round please.

P.s. being pedantic is so 2k16
He has't done anything worthy of condemnation though
Original post by Palmyra
Really pathetic to see our Prime Minister be so subservient to a man who a majority of Americans did not vote for, and who has recently implemented an unconstitutional executive order which is (supposedly) completely at odds with European/British values.

Welcome to the new, 'independent' and 'free' post-EU Britain...

The majority of Americans also didn't vote for Hillary. 65 mill for Clinton, 62 mill for Trump, 318 mill in America. Trump won fair and square on the electoral vote. Do you really think his order was really that bad? Does it not make sense to you? With the rise of ISIS, why give them a chance to come to America? Trump has made a wise choice, and it's obvious to see
Original post by That'sGreat
The majority of Americans also didn't vote for Hillary. 65 mill for Clinton, 62 mill for Trump, 318 mill in America. Trump won fair and square on the electoral vote.

Obama actually won a majority both times and had Republicans in his cabinet, Trump lost the popular vote and has a cabinet exclusively filled with Republicans.

Do you really think his order was really that bad? Does it not make sense to you? With the rise of ISIS, why give them a chance to come to America? Trump has made a wise choice, and it's obvious to see

Yes. No.

I made a thread about it explaining in some detail why I think the EO is a complete disaster. Feel free to check it out.
Reply 32
Original post by pmc:producer
I don't. But I'm willing to bet my retirement there's an overlap. And in any case, consistency all round please.

P.s. being pedantic is so 2k16

My apologies, I forget this is a post-truth age :smile:
Trump is actually being proactive and getting down to his campaign pledges, how can you criticize him for doing so?
Original post by Palmyra
Really pathetic to see our Prime Minister be so subservient to a man who a majority of Americans did not vote for, and who has recently implemented an unconstitutional executive order which is (supposedly) completely at odds with European/British values.

Welcome to the new, 'independent' and 'free' post-EU Britain...

Actually, I thought she handled the questions well at the press conference. Also, you may not be aware of this, but he is not the first president in history to win the electoral college but not the popular vote. There are, in fact, 5 such instances, which you can read about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_elections_in_which_the_winner_lost_the_popular_vote

I think that values not only in Britain but across the world are changing and this is something we have to accept. It is early days for the relationship for the PM and president so I think it is unfair to make judgements on a meeting between the two that was little more than an hour in length. A lot of the younger generation have protested both the Brexit vote and the outcome of the US election and it concerns me that, if such protests become the norm, in 20 or so years time, when this generation is in charge, our countries will be unable to accept the outcome of a democratic vote if it does not go their way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
Obama actually won a majority both times and had Republicans in his cabinet, Trump lost the popular vote and has a cabinet exclusively filled with Republicans.

Yes. No.

I made a thread about it explaining in some detail why I think the EO is a complete disaster. Feel free to check it out.

Yes, but that's Obama. It was Trump vs Hillary, not Trump vs Obama, the situation was completely different, because Obama and his opposers weren't criminals or reality to stars. It's not relevant anyway, his executive orders are smart and are the radical decisions Trump needs to carry on making to turn the shithole of America into a country that we can actually respect
Reply 36
Original post by InnerTemple
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38784199

This is pretty embarrassing. Trump's latest Executive Order has received condemnation from many European Countries and the United Nations.

While May promised that she'd be candid and stand up to Trump, the reality it seems is completely different. She flat out refused to share her views on Trumps ghastly discrimination against muslims.

It really does highlight that Brexit hasn't made the UK a strong, independent country. Instead, we are left to grovel and beg for partnerships - even when that involves sucking up to tyrants such as Trump and Erdogan.

It doesn't bode well for the UK. At the moment, it seems that we'll sell-out while accepting any deal a country throws our way - whether or not it is good for the UK.

Condemn him for what? He is doing nothing wrong.
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Actually, I thought she handled the questions well at the press conference.
Trump signed an executive order blanket banning nationals from 7 countries from entering the country (including those with a valid green card if they happen to leave the U.S.), and our Prime Minister says absolutely nothing.

That is utterly shameful.
Reply 38
Original post by richpanda
Trump has just banned it until he can get his plans in place, which is to give first priority to Christian Syrians. What's the problem? He will be taking in refugees.

Christianity is icky. Didn't you hear about the Crusades??????????

Original post by WoodyMKC
Just doing what's best for business and our country, that's her job at the end of the day.

It baffles me that we live in an era where this has to be pointed out to people.
No she is just doing the right thing by looking after our national interest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending