The Student Room Group

Failed 2 of my 6 exams, thinking of dropping out?

I'm a first year student. I failed two of my six exams. Maths and Accounting. Not that I tried particularly hard, but nonetheless I still failed. It's a lack of interest, the only reason I am still in the course is because I find one area interesting, and it's not one that should interest me.
Business Information Systems and Information Management. Basically, maths based, business related IT topics. The lecturer continues to mention about being a Data Analyst. That's a very maths related career and I got the sum total of 17% in my exam.
I have friends there. I don't particularly want to just up and leave. I don't feel like doing anything, I just don't. I don't really like my course bar one aspect and I don't want to drop out because I have a good group of friends in here.
I want to be self employed in the future. That's the aim. I want to work for myself and be rich to put it bluntly, I don't know what area it will be in but I know that that's my intention, be self employed, enjoy my job and get rich.
I am smart, there is no doubt about it but if I find I dislike something, I won't/can't find the necessary effort to do it.
I don't want to do anything but I don't like where I am. I go out too much, I drink too much when I go out, I dislike my lectures, I can't afford to go back next year. My parents outright said they will not pay for me again (Loans aren't done here for school etc)
I need advice. I needed to get that off my chest.
I'm studying in Ireland.
Reply 1
Original post by seanf999
I'm a first year student. I failed two of my six exams. Maths and Accounting. Not that I tried particularly hard, but nonetheless I still failed. It's a lack of interest, the only reason I am still in the course is because I find one area interesting, and it's not one that should interest me.
Business Information Systems and Information Management. Basically, maths based, business related IT topics. The lecturer continues to mention about being a Data Analyst. That's a very maths related career and I got the sum total of 17% in my exam.
I have friends there. I don't particularly want to just up and leave. I don't feel like doing anything, I just don't. I don't really like my course bar one aspect and I don't want to drop out because I have a good group of friends in here.
I want to be self employed in the future. That's the aim. I want to work for myself and be rich to put it bluntly, I don't know what area it will be in but I know that that's my intention, be self employed, enjoy my job and get rich.
I am smart, there is no doubt about it but if I find I dislike something, I won't/can't find the necessary effort to do it.
I don't want to do anything but I don't like where I am. I go out too much, I drink too much when I go out, I dislike my lectures, I can't afford to go back next year. My parents outright said they will not pay for me again (Loans aren't done here for school etc)
I need advice. I needed to get that off my chest.
I'm studying in Ireland.

You don't want to drop out, but you don't want to stay. Well, you're going to have to figure out which you don't want to do more, because they're not compatible with each other.

But if you do want to be self employed in the future, anything you can learn now will be beneficial. You'll need to be able to work out whether your small business is successful. You could pay someone else, but that's more expense which a small business might not be able to afford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending