The Student Room Group

Does anyone want Leeds United to be in the Premier League

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scriggy
It's good for the Premier League "brand," and just football in general, to have clubs like Leeds in there. Leeds vs Chelsea/Man United/Liverpool are all huge traditional fixtures with a lot of history behind them. It's good to have the little guys in too (Bournemouth, Swansea etc) but the PL loses out a lot if you have too many of the traditional big clubs rotting away in the FL. Leeds area long overdue a return.

Outside the top 7 there's nobody left apart from West Ham, all the traditional names of English football have been lost to the Championship. Add that to an increased number of TV games and it's not good from a viewing perspective - nobody wants to see West Brom and Middlesbrough draw 0-0 on a Sunday afternoon.

We'd all like to see the Sheffield Wednesday's, Aston Villa's, Derby's etc back up but equally teams like Swansea & Bournemouth have been a breath of fresh air. I want to see teams who will be competitive and benefit the league whether that's one of the "fallen giants" or somebody completely new.
Original post by sr90
Outside the top 7 there's nobody left apart from West Ham, all the traditional names of English football have been lost to the Championship. Add that to an increased number of TV games and it's not good from a viewing perspective - nobody wants to see West Brom and Middlesbrough draw 0-0 on a Sunday afternoon.

We'd all like to see the Sheffield Wednesday's, Aston Villa's, Derby's etc back up but equally teams like Swansea & Bournemouth have been a breath of fresh air. I want to see teams who will be competitive and benefit the league whether that's one of the "fallen giants" or somebody completely new.

I think it's a consequence of the of the huge TV deals of this decade. Fan base/history/status count for very little anymore in reality. If you get to the Premier League then you're given the resources to stay there and be competitive, so it comes down to who is being run the best. It's not like even just 10-15 years ago when the odds were stacked heavily against the smaller clubs when they were promoted. These days there's no excuse for not giving the PL a good go when you come up.
I want the mighty Wolves back!

Coyw /\_/\
Original post by Yaboi
If Leeds and Newcastle could get promoted then all the traditionally large UK clubs would be in the top flight, really don't want Brighton coming up though.

Newcastle have won nothing for fifty years, I don't understand why people think they're a big club. I wouldn't really say Leeds were a large club either CL run in 2001 aside. They should be an institution of British football, but that's another matter for O'Leary to answer.

I don't care if they come up unless their owners will shell out and give the league a proper go. I'm hoping Brighton go up, it'd be refreshing and they are under an owner who would probably throw the kitchen sink at establishing them as a PL side.
Reply 24
Absolutely :smile:
Original post by Diego Costa
Newcastle have won nothing for fifty years, I don't understand why people think they're a big club. I wouldn't really say Leeds were a large club either CL run in 2001 aside. They should be an institution of British football, but that's another matter for O'Leary to answer.

The fact they are a one club city probably makes them seem bigger than they are.
Original post by Wilfred Little
The fact they are a one club city probably makes them seem bigger than they are.

Leicester is probably a similar sized city and they have more recent success, even prior to the title win. Newcastle as a club seem to be a little overrated as a side because they nearly won the league in the 90's.
Leicester is probably a similar sized city and they have more recent success, even prior to the title win. Newcastle as a club seem to be a little overrated as a side because they nearly won the league in the 90's.

Oddly enough, 23 years in the Premier League, 7 or 8 top 6 finishes, multiple European runs and a world transfer record gives a club more status than 2 league cup wins and a decade in the wilderness. I'm gutted we've never won a trophy in my lifetime yet but any club would have taken our previous 25 years to Leicesters, prior to last season of course.

There's your bite. :wink:
Original post by scriggy
Oddly enough, 23 years in the Premier League, 7 or 8 top 6 finishes, multiple European runs and a world transfer record gives a club more status than 2 league cup wins and a decade in the wilderness. I'm gutted we've never won a trophy in my lifetime yet but any club would have taken our previous 25 years to Leicesters, prior to last season of course.

There's your bite. :wink:

No silverware - no real success, sorry. Holding the record transfer fee for a year and once fluking it to the semi finals of the Wafer Cup hold no weight to me unfortunately.

It's not as though Newcastle were flying in the "wilderness years" of Leicester, they got relegated too and were slumped around low-mid table other than when SIR ALAN got them to 5th.
Original post by RedManc
I do. Everyone hates them.

Leeds united!!!
No silverware - no real success, sorry. Holding the record transfer fee for a year and once fluking it to the semi finals of the Wafer Cup hold no weight to me unfortunately.

It's not as though Newcastle were flying in the "wilderness years" of Leicester, they got relegated too and were slumped around low-mid table other than when SIR ALAN got them to 5th.

Out of interest, do you consider Tottenham to be a big club? 2 League Cups in nearly 30 years and a similar spell in midtable.
Not really. They've been out of the top flight for so long that I've just come to think of them as an average championship club.
Original post by Yaboi
If Leeds and Newcastle could get promoted then all the traditionally large UK clubs would be in the top flight, really don't want Brighton coming up though.

Must be a joke? Bournemouth, Watford, Middlesborough, Swansea, Hull and Palace are in the prem. When 'traditionallly' large clubs who were massive for large parts of the past such as Wolves, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Bolton, Sheffield United and even Sunderland once relegated wont be in there. Theres lots of successful clubs outside of the top flight
Reply 33
Original post by SHA1875
No I will miss my annual laugh at watching our fans fight them

what team do you support
Reply 34
Original post by fleky6910
Leeds united!!!

You blasphemous Manc g**

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

If you take that logic to the extreme (which you already have) then Swansea have had a better 5 years than Liverpool because they have won more. And are Chelsea and City bigger clubs than Liverpool now because they've won far more in the past 10 years? Wigan and Birmingham currently enjoying a better decade than Spurs? Give over.
Reply 36
Original post by RedManc
what team do you support

Birmingham
Reply 37
Original post by SHA1875
Birmingham

I guess you hate Villa
Reply 38
Who doesn't apart from theselves
Original post by sr90
Out of interest, do you consider Tottenham to be a big club? 2 League Cups in nearly 30 years and a similar spell in midtable.

I'd consider Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal as the big clubs, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest could be considered but I think a little too much time has passed since they were genuine forces. I have West Ham, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Spurs on the level below.

Original post by scriggy
If you take that logic to the extreme (which you already have) then Swansea have had a better 5 years than Liverpool because they have won more. And are Chelsea and City bigger clubs than Liverpool now because they've won far more in the past 10 years? Wigan and Birmingham currently enjoying a better decade than Spurs? Give over.

Having a lull is very different to consistently winning naff all.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply