The Student Room Group

Cruise ship jobs

I've recently been looking into seasonal work on cruise ships, preferably bar work, and wondered if anyone here has any experience. I got the idea from my barber, who recently spent four months working on a cruise liner and I thought it sounded like a great way to travel while earning money at the same time. So if anyone has stories they'd like to share, companies they'd like to recommend or questions they'd like to ask, this is the place.
Reply 1
I've been on cruises for holidays before and the staff are really friendly and close with each other. You get to meet with so many people every trip and you pretty much live on the boat so you have your food and accommodation sorted out.

I have a friend who works on a cruise ship as a translator and they really enjoy it. They have been to so many places and have made a lot of friends on there. The only problem they have is the homesickness, since you are contracted for months or even a year to stay on the boat so you won't be able to go home until then.

It is definitely worth a look in my opinion. Cruise ships are a lot of fun and if you're in the bar area, it's always going to be busy and you'll have a great time.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
I've been on cruises for holidays before and the staff are really friendly and close with each other. You get to meet with so many people every trip and you pretty much live on the boat so you have your food and accommodation sorted out.

I have a friend who works on a cruise ship as a translator and they really enjoy it. They have been to so many places and have made a lot of friends on there. The only problem they have is the homesickness, since you are contracted for months or even a year to stay on the boat so you won't be able to go home until then.

It is definitely worth a look in my opinion. Cruise ships are a lot of fun and if you're in the bar area, it's always going to be busy and you'll have a great time.

Thanks for that response. I guess you would become quite close with your colleagues when you have to live with them as well as work with them every day. Do you know if your friend the translator gets much time off while on board? A lot of vacancies I've looked at have people working seven days a week, and while I don't mind hard work at all, it would be good to be able to go on excursions to some of the places the boat stops at.
Reply 3
You went there yet?
Being from UK gives you advantage, chance for a better paid job with more time off. Just make sure if you go, go as staff member; gift shop salesman, photographer, SPA ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending