The Student Room Group

Are my gcses bad

I got 1a 7bs 4 cs
Just wanted to know ik i wont get into medicine over here but could i get into gateway of medicine durham i meet the conditions if not then i understand and if i cant get into med I've got the choice of pharmacy optometry science extended degree leading on to engineering but i dont like pharmacy I've worked at 1 didnt like it optometry seems interesting but not sure if i can get in someone help me plz respond
Edit also forgot to say i went to a school but my conditions have been bad so it might help me get in
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Main focus will be on your a levels. If you get great results you should compensate for it.

Keep in mind medicine and engineering demand the a great amount academically and competition is high as well.
I got 2 A's, 4 B's, 1 D and an E and got accepted into Imperial College London.

Relax mate.
Original post by Stoke123

Relax mate.

Your a boss mate thanks
Original post by Stoke123

Relax mate.

Could i ask what year was this thanks
Original post by Beastylki579

GCSE's were 3 years ago; having a gap year right now.

As long as you mention in your personal statement things like Extra reading in professional publications, took work experiance, and possibly written an article then you can pretty much get into anything you want.

People make it seem impossible by ranting 'its all about the grades', that's because they've got no clue in how the process really works.
Don't forget that there's Bad for TSR (essentially anything less that 7 A*) and Bad for the rest of the (real) world. Your results are not 'bad' at all - they're not stellar, but I don't think they're bad enough to cause you a hardship. Your A levels, plus UKCAT/BMAT are going to be far more important.
I don't know why you are all sugar coating the matter like a bunch of fools.

Let's be honest, he doesn't stand a chance.

I mean,

Your a boss mate thanks

I certainly wouldn't want someone with his awful grammar and spelling to be my doctor.

You can tell by the initial post he doesn't have what it takes.

plz respond

C'mon it's something a 10 year old would say, get real guys.
Original post by chem1st101

I mean,

I certainly wouldn't want someone with his awful grammar and spelling to be my doctor.

Ok, first of all it's the internet so calm down ,dont be a grammar nazi. Just chill, find somewhere else to be a keyboard warrior.
I even said that i probably do not have a chance of getting in to medicine at university but i had extremely bad circumstances you wouldn't even be able to comprehend how severe they were. So the moral of the day is don't judge a book by its cover.

I mean,

You have 2 clear grammar mistakes, you missed a couple commas here and there so dont judge who gave you the right to say who is right and wrong, you clearly don't have any social skills.
You can into medicine if you get a high ukcat/bmat, well written personal statement fulfilling the universities criteria and good predicted grades and apply to unis that don't look at gcses/weight them very minimally such as imperial and Barts.

I mean,

But seriously all jokes, you just need to calm down , but if you don't mind me asking what do you recommend because I'm not sure on what i should do . Careers advisors have been no help so I'm pretty confused at this point.
Original post by Naveen1412
You can into medicine if you get a high ukcat/bmat, well written personal statement fulfilling the universities criteria and good predicted grades and apply to unis that don't look at gcses/weight them very minimally such as imperial and Barts.

Dont barts ask for 3as and 3bs i don't have :smile: lol

I mean,

The whole point of student room is to help others. You could've just said "work on your grammar" but you decided to discourage and make fun of him. You need to work on your manners!
Reply 14
Your results aren't too great if I'm honest. However, keep working hard - you will get what you want eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Court19
Your results aren't too great if I'm honest. However, keep working hard - you will get what you want eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also thinking of applying abroad , if i don't get in over here, maybe to Romania as its pretty cheap but I'd rather stay here as i can always come back home quickly and i won't have to learn a completely different language.
Reply 16
I was also thinking of applying abroad , if i don't get in over here, maybe to Romania as its pretty cheap but I'd rather stay here as i can always come back home quickly and i won't have to learn a completely different language.

That would be pretty cool. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Court19
That would be pretty cool. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah too bad brexit is happening would be much more cheaper without it

Not everyone asks for GCSE grades btw. Imperial only look at BMAT scores and if you beast the UKCAT, you could apply to universities that have a heavy emphasis on them
Original post by studentsixth
Not everyone asks for GCSE grades btw. Imperial only look at BMAT scores and if you beast the UKCAT, you could apply to universities that have a heavy emphasis on them

Thanks im going to try and apply there if i decide on medicine but it is quite unrealistic that Ill get a place either that or optometry at manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending