The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
I did take it before... and I didn't really enjoy it :rofl: I took Classics up until 1st year of IB then I dropped it. Ancient Greek was pretty difficult because of the grammar and it's a whole different language. I definitely enjoyed Latin more but translating random pieces of Latin text at 8 am in the morning was just :colonhash:

Oh cool :tongue: going the Adam Smith route? Classics/History might be a fitting choice then :biggrin: -tbh both subjects can be connected with anything even Sustainable Development

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's a shame :tongue:, yeah I was listening to this song (cover) in Ancient Greek, it definitely sounds a lot smoother than I thought it'd be, and the characters have a kind of middle-eastern/ Asian vibe about them. Definitely a language I'd struggle with.

I don't even think I'm awake at 8 am aha.

Quite actually, I'm also interested in writing, whether it's articles or books. I used to write but school got in the way so I just read now :P. (Although I'm currently interested in writing about a banker/ stock-broker/ economist)
(edited 7 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by soccermom39
Ah that's a shame :tongue:, yeah I was listening to this song (cover) in Ancient Greek, it definitely sounds a lot smoother than I thought it'd be, and the characters have a kind of middle-eastern/ Asian vibe about them. Definitely a language I'd struggle with.

I don't even think I'm awake at 8 am aha.

Quite actually, I'm also interested in writing, whether it's articles or books. I used to write but school got in the way so I just read now :P. (Although I'm currently interested in writing about a banker/ stock-broker/ economist)

Songs are covered in Ancient Greek? What!? :rofl: yeah the sound is ok but the characters are annoying. Meh nobody is awake at 8 am...

That's cool :smile: that's a good hobby! Which way on the spectrum do you lean in terms if economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool :smile: is St A's your first choice?

Mostly the interdisciplinary nature of the subject :smile: besides I do have quite a lot of experience in this field like focusing on this topic during Model United Nations conferences and it was rather interesting to explore so I decided why not. Plus the subject I applied for with my PS was interdisciplinary so I needed a choice that worked xD

Yeah I think so! Well I hope so, if they give me an offer. Is it yours? Where else did you apply?
That sounds really interesting! What's the model UN like? I've always wanted to attend one but they don't offer it at my school.
Reply 803
Management offer for 38 IB points! :smile:
You narrowed it down to UCL and St A's too? :tongue: that's my two choices as well

What three :tongue: :smile:

oh cool, what course did you apply for?
Original post by ElleCee
Which ones have you heard back from? :smile:
My five were chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA, Warwick, Durham, and Imperial, and natural sciences at Cambridge :smile:

Wow! Nice choices :wink: Unconditionals from Heriot Watt, Glasgow and StA. Just waiting on Edinburgh and Strathclyde. How about you? :smile:
[QUOTE=Mani.;69828854]Management offer for 38 IB points! :smile:

Congrats!! When did you hear back? And are you UK/international?? ☺️☺️
Original post by johnjovie
I got 5A*s, 5As, 1B, suddenly feeling less hopeful :frown: I'm predicted A*AAA and got AAAB in AS. Also applied to Durham and St. A's for English Lit and Philosophy combined. I didn't apply to many because I doubt I will go this year, I just applied because my college said to, however I am now caught up in this whole nervy process!!!

Hi, I've received an offer from St. A's for Psychology (also very popular) with 4A*s 3As 3Bs at GCSE predicted AAA with abbb last year. They actually gave me a lower offer than is stated on their website (AAB instead of AAA). So I don't think grades are actually as important as people may think. 🤔
Original post by kiera28
Hi, I've received an offer from St. A's for Psychology (also very popular) with 4A*s 3As 3Bs at GCSE predicted AAA with abbb last year. They actually gave me a lower offer than is stated on their website (AAB instead of AAA). So I don't think grades are actually as important as people may think. 🤔

Congratulations! That gives hope to many (at least to me it does) :smile:
But nevertheless I think we'll all go our ways :smile:
Songs are covered in Ancient Greek? What!? :rofl: yeah the sound is ok but the characters are annoying. Meh nobody is awake at 8 am...

That's cool :smile: that's a good hobby! Which way on the spectrum do you lean in terms if economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I listen to odd stuff aha.

Sort of centre-right, I kind of dislike Hayek and the Austrian school of economics but I occasionally find myself suggesting approaches they would in my essays. I'm not too fond of communism either, I'd say government intervention is necessary for capitalism to be successful (let's say for it to meet the Pareto criterion) though if such a situation did occur I don't think it'd be capitalism aha. I'm free market to an extent, but I can understand where all the schools are coming from. I can't actually answer that properly yet, I'd need to conduct a lot of research on all sides before I could fully agree with one side (though this has never happened in any given situation for me; as I said I dislike the Austrian school of economics but I still find myself agreeing with some arguments) but for now let's say centre-right ahaah. Wbu?
Hi,

I applied to StA and got an Offer for MPhys (A,A,A which is suprising low for #1 in the UK) has anyone applied for second year?
Also has anyone recieved CompSci offer?

Thanks
Original post by daisysaxelby
Thanks haha. I applied for year 2 but I'm a bit worried because it doesn't look like many other people have.

I applied to year 2, do you think we'll be intergrated with the new year ones?
Original post by Atticaitfinch
Yeah I think so! Well I hope so, if they give me an offer. Is it yours? Where else did you apply?
That sounds really interesting! What's the model UN like? I've always wanted to attend one but they don't offer it at my school.

Yeah it is probably my first choice at this point :tongue:

Oxford (rejected) UCL, Exeter and Manchester

Model UN is pretty cool :smile: we meet people from different parts of the world at international conferences. It's a good way to make friends with people who are not from your own country. Other than that there are also some interesting debates as well.

Original post by Pippawatsonn
oh cool, what course did you apply for?

BSc Sustainable Development here, but BSc Human Sciences in UCL

Yeah I listen to odd stuff aha.

Sort of centre-right, I kind of dislike Hayek and the Austrian school of economics but I occasionally find myself suggesting approaches they would in my essays. I'm not too fond of communism either, I'd say government intervention is necessary for capitalism to be successful (let's say for it to meet the Pareto criterion) though if such a situation did occur I don't think it'd be capitalism aha. I'm free market to an extent, but I can understand where all the schools are coming from. I can't actually answer that properly yet, I'd need to conduct a lot of research on all sides before I could fully agree with one side (though this has never happened in any given situation for me; as I said I dislike the Austrian school of economics but I still find myself agreeing with some arguments) but for now let's say centre-right ahaah. Wbu?

Personally, I would say that I am more centre-left. I am pro-government regulation and intervention in many circumstances and less for capitalism in nature however like you I cannot really imagine a situation where a society without some for of capitalism can function. But because I am like social welfare and stuff like that I am more left than right. I don't fully agree with Hayek or Keynes if we are going for classical definitions of economics but both schools of thought are fascinating to read about nonetheless.
Reply 813
Original post by fandom-queen
I sincerely hope so. Thank you.

What have you applied for? Get in?

Physics, and yes I got an offer a few weeks ago :smile:
Original post by aminxv

Congratulations man :smile: first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations man :smile: first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge reject, but this will most likely be my first choice! How about you
Original post by J-Winter
Cambridge reject, but this will most likely be my first choice! How about you

Oxford reject so most likely will be my first choice as well xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it is probably my first choice at this point :tongue:

Personally, I would say that I am more centre-left. I am pro-government regulation and intervention in many circumstances and less for capitalism in nature however like you I cannot really imagine a situation where a society without some for of capitalism can function. But because I am like social welfare and stuff like that I am more left than right. I don't fully agree with Hayek or Keynes if we are going for classical definitions of economics but both schools of thought are fascinating to read about nonetheless.

Yea I agree government intervention is necessary in some situations but for things like creating luxury goods I'd leave that to the market, but other stuff like unemployment benefits, roads, parks social welfare programmes etc the government should get involved.

Do you believe healthcare should be made private and stuff like education? (the assumption is taxpayers will get taxed less and will then be able to afford stuff like this; also companies may give such benefits to employees like in America).

I just want to see which system you think will work best for stuff like that :smile:
Original post by aminxv

Congratulations! Firm?
Yea I agree government intervention is necessary in some situations but for things like creating luxury goods I'd leave that to the market, but other stuff like unemployment benefits, roads, parks social welfare programmes etc the government should get involved.

Do you believe healthcare should be made private and stuff like education? (the assumption is taxpayers will get taxed less and will then be able to afford stuff like this; also companies may give such benefits to employees like in America).

I just want to see which system you think will work best for stuff like that :smile:

I disagree with the idea of privatising healthcare and education.

The government has a duty to educate it's people. Privatising education would just cause too many issues. One issue that is particularly concerning in my opinion is large education corporations like Pearson controlling what children learn which results in company policy/the ideas pf the company engrained in the next generation. Of course governments can also do this too but since the government is voted into power by the people, I would assume that they will be held accountable for their actions.

In terms of healthcare, while universal healthcare may not be a viable option in some countries, the government has a duty to provide its citizens with the basic means to access healthcare facilities at a relatively cheap price. So a public-private model may work in this circumstance but I have to look further into this issue.

All of these are just my opinions of course :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending