The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What to expect at a university interview?

I got an interview for the UoM on the 22nd of February for Environmental Science. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with university interviews (extra points for UoM interview experience) and could tell me what to expect? :smile:
Reply 1
Hiya, well done on getting your interview at the UoManchester! I've had an interview there just before Christmas , and since the course I applied for (biology) is also in the life sciences faculty I thought I might be able to give you a good insight as to what you should expect!

Firstly, and this should put you to a bit of ease, if you've got an interview then there is a 95% chance that you're going to get a be offered a place (they told us this as a group before we even had the interview), they just want to check that you didn't completely lie on you're personal statement! That's pretty much the only point to the interview part, so make sure you can talk about your personal statement - and don't worry about stumbling over your speaking or being nervous or anything like that because the staff are really cool (I blanked out a few times but the dude still offered me a place so that's cool!)

The interview itself only lasts 10 minutes max, and i'd recommend thinking of say 4-6 questions that you really want to ask them (try and be creative, like relating them to possible career choices and what options the uni may offer to someone aspiring to do a certain thing etc etc...), this will make you seem like a more interesting person that actually wants to add something to the uni.

The rest of the day is just like an open day really! A senior student will take you and a small group of other applicants around the campus and show you some experiments and tutorials and stuff like that! It's pretty chill!

If you show that you genuinely care about your subject and show a little enthusiasm in the interview then you're sure to get a place! Good luck, I hope it goes well (maybe I'll see you in September)

-Joe
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by jtp1999
Hiya, well done on getting your interview at the UoManchester! I've had an interview there just before Christmas , and since the course I applied for (biology) is also in the life sciences faculty I thought I might be able to give you a good insight as to what you should expect!

Firstly, and this should put you to a bit of ease, if you've got an interview then there is a 95% chance that you're going to get a be offered a place (they told us this as a group before we even had the interview), they just want to check that you didn't completely lie on you're personal statement! That's pretty much the only point to the interview part, so make sure you can talk about your personal statement - and don't worry about stumbling over your speaking or being nervous or anything like that because the staff are really cool (I blanked out a few times but the dude still offered me a place so that's cool!)

The interview itself only lasts 10 minutes max, and i'd recommend thinking of say 4-6 questions that you really want to ask them (try and be creative, like relating them to possible career choices and what options the uni may offer to someone aspiring to do a certain thing etc etc...), this will make you seem like a more interesting person that actually wants to add something to the uni.

The rest of the day is just like an open day really! A senior student will take you and a small group of other applicants around the campus and show you some experiments and tutorials and stuff like that! It's pretty chill!

If you show that you genuinely care about your subject and show a little enthusiasm in the interview then you're sure to get a place! Good luck, I hope it goes well (maybe I'll see you in September)

-Joe

Thank you! I heard its really relaxed at Manchester, I just wondered about the interviewing process because I heard some University interviews (think Oxford and Cambridge) give their applicants problems to solve and things like that. I'm glad it's just a simple interview! Hopefully I will see you there in September, UoM has stolen my heart, I really really want to go there. Have you looked at accommodation yet?
Reply 3
Yeah you should have nothing to worry about :smile: and I know right!! UoManchester just feels like such a welcoming place!

When I went I didn't have the time to look at the accommodation unfortunately (I needed to speed off home) - I have heard that compared to a lot of places the accommodation in Manchester isn't the best, but it's not terrible either, I guess you've just got to get in there for the good rooms first! Personally I'm not put off by the idea of the accommodation not being AMAZING in the first year, but I do understand why people would be!!
For my maths interview they asked me a question on FP1 (first year further maths) which was fine, asked a few questions about my personal statement and I was finished in about 15 mins. If it's anything like the maths interview I wouldn't worry about it. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending