The Student Room Group

Best way to prepare for a Msc+PhD (4 year course) interview?

So I have got an interview for this programme, I am interested to know what type of questions tend to be asked in these types of interviews and how best I can prepare?

I assume they will ask
your knowledge on the subject? (thats a given)

why this course/university? (most probably)

I'm not sure what else they are going to ask? Any suggestions? Might they ask about my future plans after the course?
Definitely future plans yes. Maybe what projects or supervisors you're interested in, why a PhD and what you want to get out if it. Be prepared to ask questions too.
Reply 2
I don't know what subject/where you are applying for but I just had 2 1+3 PhD interviews (not a masters as such but have to attend taught courses and do 3 rotation projects in year 1) so I thought I'd share...

In both the interviews they mainly asked me about research I had done previously- asked me to explain it a little bit and the results I found, then a couple of technical questions about the methods I had used and what I would do next to further the research if I had unlimited resources. In one interview I was asked about why I wanted to a PhD but neither asked me about my future plans (though I had prepared an answer just in case because I think its a common question). I was also asked to tell them about a piece of research I found interesting.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by Natas93
I don't know what subject/where you are applying for but I just had 2 1+3 PhD interviews (not a masters as such but have to attend taught courses and do 3 rotation projects in year 1) so I thought I'd share...

In both the interviews they mainly asked me about research I had done previously- asked me to explain it a little bit and the results I found, then a couple of technical questions about the methods I had used and what I would do next to further the research if I had unlimited resources. In one interview I was asked about why I wanted to a PhD but neither asked me about my future plans (though I had prepared an answer just in case because I think its a common question). I was also asked to tell them about a piece of research I found interesting.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!

Thank you so very much for this reply! This is the kinda thing I am looking for!!

I only have a week to prep. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending