The Student Room Group

AQA D1 algorithms questions

Does anyone know if any AQA past papers have had questions asking you to amend, complete etc. an algorithm? This is what the spec says:

"required to trace, correct, complete or amend a given algorithm, and compare or comment on the number of iterations required"

I wanted to try some exam questions on this but cant seem to find any. Ive only ever seen questions asking you to trace or state the purpose of an algorithm.
Original post by kiiten
Does anyone know if any AQA past papers have had questions asking you to amend, complete etc. an algorithm? This is what the spec says:

"required to trace, correct, complete or amend a given algorithm, and compare or comment on the number of iterations required"

I wanted to try some exam questions on this but cant seem to find any. Ive only ever seen questions asking you to trace or state the purpose of an algorithm.

Slightly useless answer but:

You'll find an answer quickly by looking through all of them, I don't think many people do AQA D1.. or even D1 😂😂😂

I have seen it once I think in Edexcel... but not sure and not useful information
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Slightly useless answer but:

You'll find an answer quickly by looking through all of them, I don't think many people do AQA D1.. or even D1 😂😂😂

I have seen it once I think in Edexcel... but not sure and not useful information

Yep i gathered that from the lack of response i get from my D1 questions xD

Thanks for answering though - i guess ill just do that :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
I don't think many people do AQA D1.. or even D1 😂😂😂

Original post by kiiten
Yep i gathered that from the lack of response i get from my D1 questions xD

From some histograms I've seen, about 22000 people took Edexcel D1 last summer as against 56000 for S1. So a student taking D1 is by no means a rare phenomenon (don't know any figures for AQA).
Reply 4
I'm taking D1 and D2 in AS Further Maths. :frown: Only other module I'm taking is FP1 this year.
Reply 5
Original post by tiny hobbit
From some histograms I've seen, about 22000 people took Edexcel D1 last summer as against 56000 for S1. So a student taking D1 is by no means a rare phenomenon (don't know any figures for AQA).

Maybe he means not many people on tsr do it rather than how many people do it generally?
Original post by kiiten
Maybe he means not many people on tsr do it rather than how many people do it generally?

You could be right there. And many of those on TSR who do take D1 look down on it as "not proper maths" and/or have to teach it to themselves and don't do very well in it.

I'll look out for your D1 queries. I've taught it for a number of years, usually to a class containing some FM students who have run away from M3 or who take it as an extra module by way of insurance and also containing some very weak second year Maths students. The resulting grades for D1 were a lot of As and a few Ds and Es.
Reply 7
Original post by tiny hobbit
You could be right there. And many of those on TSR who do take D1 look down on it as "not proper maths" and/or have to teach it to themselves and don't do very well in it.

I'll look out for your D1 queries. I've taught it for a number of years, usually to a class containing some FM students who have run away from M3 or who take it as an extra module by way of insurance and also containing some very weak second year Maths students. The resulting grades for D1 were a lot of As and a few Ds and Es.

Hey i have another question - thought id post here rather than make a new thread :smile:
(anyone, feel free to answer if you know)

For a bipartite question my answer matches the part ive circled but what are the M1 marks for? Would i still get them as the part ive underlined is part of my answer
Screenshot 2017-02-07 19.47.44.png

Also for this nearest neighbour ques would i get full marks if i just write what is shown on the left
Attachment not found

Ok maybe im being picky now but the mark scheme assumes you use simultaneous equations but i just made both equations = each other. Do i still get the mark
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Hey i have another question - thought id post here rather than make a new thread :smile:
(anyone, feel free to answer if you know)

For a bipartite question my answer matches the part ive circled but what are the M1 marks for? Would i still get them as the part ive underlined is part of my answer
Screenshot 2017-02-07 19.47.44.png

Also for this nearest neighbour ques would i get full marks if i just write what is shown on the left
Attachment not found

Ok maybe im being picky now but the mark scheme assumes you use simultaneous equations but i just made both equations = each other. Do i still get the mark
Attachment not found

I'm afraid that I'm no use here. Different boards obviously use different notation and possibly different approaches to marking.

Secondly, I can't open the attachments.

Quick Reply

Latest