The Student Room Group

My tips to succeed at Academia

I made this video about 3 tips to get all A's at A-level!

Original post by james.proctor

You're cute :daydreaming:
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

When do you recommend starting to do past papers at AS??
Original post by Elena 365
When do you recommend starting to do past papers at AS??

About now!
Reply 5
About now!

Just out of curiosity what subjects are you studying and at what level? 😊
Just out of curiosity what subjects are you studying and at what level? 😊

I studied Geography, Economics and Maths at A-level and got A*AA! Now studying Economics at University :smile:
Reply 7
I studied Geography, Economics and Maths at A-level and got A*AA! Now studying Economics at University :smile:

Wow i was thinking about studying economics too what uni did you apply to? 😀😀

How did you improve your economics essays to A grade standard? What structure did you use?
What were your AS grades like?
btw this was super helpful- I'm studying A-level Chemistry, Maths and Geography (the new 2016 spec:s-smilie:)
Original post by marie_290
What were your AS grades like?
btw this was super helpful- I'm studying A-level Chemistry, Maths and Geography (the new 2016 spec:s-smilie:)

I got BBCC at AS level and then boosted that up to A*AA at A-level with the 3 tips in the video :smile:
I got BBCC at AS level and then boosted that up to A*AA at A-level with the 3 tips in the video :smile:

What university are you attending? 😊
What university are you attending? 😊

Nottingham!
Nottingham!

How mathsy is the course? What kind of maths do you encounter? Calculus, logs etc
Original post by MajorFader
How mathsy is the course? What kind of maths do you encounter? Calculus, logs etc

Maths is only really used in the first year first semester (Mathematical economics - i.e. matrices, calculus etc). The rest of the quantitative stuff on the course is statistics. You can take advanced mathematical economics in year 3 last semester if you want, but statistics is far more useful in economics than maths ever has been!
Original post by MajorFader
How did you improve your economics essays to A grade standard? What structure did you use?

My tip would be to just write in a very punchy manner. Economics A-level for me was difficult to get a good mark because the essays were actually easy but very broad, so I just improved my writing style. Weird tip I know, but it worked!
bump
bump

What exam board were you on for each of your subjects? How would you go about revising harder modules in maths in particular?

Quick Reply

Latest