The Student Room Group

Aqa alevel maths m1 question

I'll post a pic
Reply 1
14857053544551966106710.jpg
Original post by cosford2
I'll post a pic

Which question? What do you need to do? What are you confused about?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Which question? What do you need to do? What are you confused about?

question f please just don't get it really. If u don't mind could u write the solutions on paper and post it. It would be much appreciated
Reply 4
question f please just don't get it really. If u don't mind could u write the solutions on paper and post it. It would be much appreciated

and we need to find f1 and f2
I'm presuming you need to find F1 and F2 given that the forces are in equilibrium? If so, it probably helps to resolve horizontally, and then vertically, to get two eaquations.

For example, if we say that upwards is positive and resolve vertically, we get:

vertical component of F1 + vertical component of F2 - 200 = 0
Reply 6
Original post by Darth_Narwhale
I'm presuming you need to find F1 and F2 given that the forces are in equilibrium? If so, it probably helps to resolve horizontally, and then vertically, to get two eaquations.

For example, if we say that upwards is positive and resolve vertically, we get:

vertical component of F1 + vertical component of F2 - 200 = 0

what are the equations of the components

I can't exactly post you a full solution but I will certainly push you in the right direction.

Firstly, I'm just going to assume the system is in equilibrium, if it's not, you should provide information about that.

So the key here is to construct a set of two equations which show equilibrium of forces horizontally and vertically.

If you draw a horizontal line through the point where the forces are coming from that would be helpful. Then you can split 140140 degrees into 90 degrees (between the 200N and the horizontal) and 50 degrees (between the horizontal and F2F_2 N).

Do the same for F1F_1.

You can then split F2F_2 and F1F_1 into horizontal and vertical components. For F2F_2 the horizontal component would be F2cos(50)F_2\cos(50) and the vertical is F2sin(50)F_2\sin(50).

Once you have split the forces into horizontal and vertical components, the sum of the vertical components for the two forces must be equal to 200. And the horizontal components of both forces are equal to one another.

Then you just have 2 equations with 2 unknowns F1,F2F_1, F_2 which you can solve for.
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
I can't exactly post you a full solution but I will certainly push you in the right direction.

Firstly, I'm just going to assume the system is in equilibrium, if it's not, you should provide information about that.

So the key here is to construct a set of two equations which show equilibrium of forces horizontally and vertically.

If you draw a horizontal line through the point where the forces are coming from that would be helpful. Then you can split 140140 degrees into 90 degrees (between the 200N and the horizontal) and 50 degrees (between the horizontal and F2F_2 N).

Do the same for F1F_1.

You can then split F2F_2 and F1F_1 into horizontal and vertical components. For F2F_2 the horizontal component would be F2cos(50)F_2\cos(50) and the vertical is F2sin(50)F_2\sin(50).

Once you have split the forces into horizontal and vertical components, the sum of the vertical components for the two forces must be equal to 200. And the horizontal components of both forces are equal to one another.

Then you just have 2 equations with 2 unknowns F1,F2F_1, F_2 which you can solve for.

thanks ill give it a go

Quick Reply

Latest