The Student Room Group

pharmacy calculations 2016/17 sample paper

hi i was wondering if someone could explain the working out for this paper, ive got the answers, but for some of them in struggling to work out how they got there
Original post by kingpro88
hi i was wondering if someone could explain the working out for this paper, ive got the answers, but for some of them in struggling to work out how they got there

Which ones are you worried about specifically?
Reply 2
thank you for replying!

its the easy ones i cant get my head round. Q1,2,3 and 12
Original post by kingpro88
thank you for replying!

its the easy ones i cant get my head round. Q1,2,3 and 12

No problems.

1. First work out the moles of Na+ that would be ingested in the total daily dose of Gaviscon. Then convert that to a mass using the formula, moles = mass x atomic mass. You know that the total daily recommended daily allowance (RDA) of Na+ is 1.2 g, so work out the total Gaviscon Na+ content as a percentage of the total RDA.

2. First work out how much immunoglobulin (Ig) is actually in the infusion bag (bear in mind that it's at a concentration of 10% w/v!). Then work out how much of the infusion would be used up for the first 3 infusion rates. This tells you how much is left in the infusion bag, which is equivalent to the fourth infusion rate. Then work backwards to work out how long the fourth infusion rate would be required. Finally, add all the 4 infusion rates' durations together to give you the total infusion duration.

3. So the patient requires 1800 KCal per 24 hours, but wants it over 14 hours instead. So the total quantity is going to remain the same. Work out how many KCal that is per hour. Then convert that to mL/hr using the ratio given (150 kCal per 100 mL).

12. Convert both strengths to 56 days' worth of tablets as that is the practice's prescribing policy. Work out how much that would cost for 7 patients. Work out the cost difference between the two strengths.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
No problems.

1. First work out the moles of Na+ that would be ingested in the total daily dose of Gaviscon. Then convert that to a mass using the formula, moles = mass x atomic mass. You know that the total daily recommended daily allowance (RDA) of Na+ is 1.2 g, so work out the total Gaviscon Na+ content as a percentage of the total RDA.

2. First work out how much immunoglobulin (Ig) is actually in the infusion bag (bear in mind that it's at a concentration of 10% w/v!). Then work out how much of the infusion would be used up for the first 3 infusion rates. This tells you how much is left in the infusion bag, which is equivalent to the fourth infusion rate. Then work backwards to work out how long the fourth infusion rate would be required. Finally, add all the 4 infusion rates' durations together to give you the total infusion duration.

3. So the patient requires 1800 KCal per 24 hours, but wants it over 14 hours instead. So the total quantity is going to remain the same. Work out how many KCal that is per hour. Then convert that to mL/hr using the ratio given (150 kCal per 100 mL).

12. Convert both strengths to 56 days' worth of tablets as that is the practice's prescribing policy. Work out how much that would cost for 7 patients. Work out the cost difference between the two strengths.

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks for your help! undertand 1 and 3. but the other two could you spell it out for me ? finding it so confusing
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest