The Student Room Group

How does one get rid of procrastination?

It's something that is literally ruining my life. My phone is a huge distraction. Take that away from me, I'll just start sketching drawings with a pencil on the homework/ textbook/ classwork I'm supposed to be doing.

It wasn't that bad a few years ago, but now I'm in Year 12, and I need to get my game up a little. I cannot afford to fail this year, nor next year.

Some advice on how to get rid of this would be seriously great right now.
By logging off TSR
Original post by AndrewSCO
By logging off TSR

This is the first time I've been on for an entire month =_= and it's only been a few minutes
i pretty sure procrastination is a non cureable disease of the brain
(edited 7 years ago)
A note to anyone who's coming on here:

If you don't have helpful advice, just go away.

I'm only here for something that can actually help me.
Original post by Writer_Refresh
This is the first time I've been on for an entire month =_= and it's only been a few minutes

Prepare for whole load more procrastination then :moon:
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
i pretty sure procrastination is a non cureable disease of the brain

as a procrastinator, i agree 100%

unless you get willpower.

Hey, OP, try going to a hypnotherapist? not sure if they work. it's been mixed results
Reply 7
Try using the Pomodoro method and an app called Forest where you set a timer and then work for that amount of time. During that time a tree grows but if you exit the app before the timer has ended the tree dies. It really motivates me. I use it when doing homework, revising or in my 'free' periods at school. So useful. Check it out, may help you. It is 1.99 on the App Store but it is worth it- at least I think so.
What i found that works for me is every time I procrastinate is that I do 2 push ups and go have a bath.
The reason I do that is that I've learnt that exercising is good for the brain and that there are hormones released that help the brain grow. You might ask then why just 2? Because doing 2 push ups is easy to do and your more willing to do it than doing 15 push ups.
Getting a bath is good because it helps your mind be creative.

Also you can listen to classical music while doing your work, or listen to the Spotify Deep Focus playlist. 9 hours of music helping you focus!
(edited 7 years ago)
Find something that will motivate you to study
hi, Im a student who is doing a research project.

Can you fill out my survey for me. It's on stress, personality and procrastination. It's completely anonymous and it will take around 5 minutes to complete. Here is the link.
https://greenwichuniversity.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_egJtRP3HobxNfzD
thank you
You cannot get rid of it, but you can control it.

Try listening to music or have a video playing in the background which doesn't distract you per se but prevents you from looking at your phone.
- download the cold turkey add-on for chrome.

-Turn your phone off put it somewhere thats effort to get.

-Study in bursts of 25 mins, take 5 min breaks. These breaks shouldn't be youtube or whatever, but stuff like grabbing a snack, lying down listening to music or just pacing in your room thinking (I do this one alot).

you can study virtually all day with these 2 tips and after a few weeks it just becomes a habit to not procastinate.

Quick Reply

Latest