The Student Room Group

Liberals seem to be incapable of comprehending what the "Muslim Ban" is about

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mingusdingus
Hmm I wonder... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli%E2%80%93Palestinian_conflict
112 deaths last year seems significant enough

With the last major action being 29 months ago. Does this also mean that France is a warzone, after all, 129 people killed in a matter of hours in 2015, another hundred+ last year? There were more killed by terrorists in 2015/16 than the century preceding it.
Reply 41
Original post by astutehirstute
It is a fact.

Lol no it ain't.
Original post by Jammy Duel
With the last major action being 29 months ago. Does this also mean that France is a warzone, after all, 129 people killed in a matter of hours in 2015, another hundred+ last year? There were more killed by terrorists in 2015/16 than the century preceding it.

There has been no ceasefire. The conflict is ongoing.
Also I never said anything about entire countries being warzones so that point is irrelevant.
There has been no ceasefire. The conflict is ongoing.
Also I never said anything about entire countries being warzones so that point is irrelevant.

I should think that the UK and US are sitll involved in conflicts, I imagine there are instances where we have not signed formal armistices or peace treaties, and you're establishing a very flimsy definition. In fact, yes, we are still in a state of conflict, because we never signed anything with the other side in, for instance, Afghanistan. So why does the UK and US not count in that instance?
Original post by HAnwar
Lol no it ain't.

If you feel Muslim culture is superior to the culture of this country's, why are you living here?

Go and live in a Muslim country. They are great shape already obviously, not backward and war torn and politically unfree, but I am sure would welcome you to make things even better.
Original post by HAnwar
Lol at you stating that as if it's a fact.

It is.
Original post by HAnwar
Lol at you stating that as if it's a fact.

Well, millions of Muslims agree with me thats why so many of them live in the West or are desperately trying to get into the West.

Not many Westerners moving to Muslim countries are there?
Original post by midnightice
Why on earth does it apply to people with dual nationality like Mo Farah? It's a ludicrous policy.

It would be unfeasible in terms of time and cost to go through the list person by person granting exemptions to "non-dangerous" people.

Having a blanket ban is more simple and more efficient, and dual nationals like Farah should accept that it was the right thing to do.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I should think that the UK and US are sitll involved in conflicts, I imagine there are instances where we have not signed formal armistices or peace treaties, and you're establishing a very flimsy definition. In fact, yes, we are still in a state of conflict, because we never signed anything with the other side in, for instance, Afghanistan. So why does the UK and US not count in that instance?

Maybe Israel wasn't the greatest example, but my point still stands that the target of the ban isn't targeting areas of conflict
Maybe Israel wasn't the greatest example, but my point still stands that the target of the ban isn't targeting areas of conflict

No, it's areas of conflict with high "refugee" output and a high islamist risk. The war in Ukraine, for instance, does not involve a sect that wishes the destruction of the west and will engage in suicide attacks to achieve that end.
Original post by Len Goodman
It would be unfeasible in terms of time and cost to go through the list person by person granting exemptions to "non-dangerous" people.

Having a blanket ban is more simple and more efficient, and dual nationals like Farah should accept that it was the right thing to do.

Utterly stupid. Richard Reid tried to kill Americans - should they impose a blanket ban on all Brits?

Name me one terrorist attack conducted in America by a person from any of those 7 countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Utterly stupid. Richard Reid tried to kill Americans - should they impose a blanket ban on all Brits?

Name me one terrorist attack conducted in America by a person from any of those 7 countries.

Your Richard Reid example is invalid as he converted to Islam and joined al-Qaeda. Not your average Brit, do you think?
Original post by Len Goodman
Your Richard Reid example is invalid as he converted to Islam and joined al-Qaeda. Not your average Brit, do you think?

And Mo Farah is a Knight of the Realm and our most successful athlete of all time - not the average Somalian, eh? The blanket ban is incredibly prejudiced; vetting is already adequate enough as it is. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Anything else about Reid that could distinguish him from the vast majority of Brits, his religion or anything?

Ah, so Trump is wrong to ban people from the named countries BEFORE anyone from the seven countries have killed a US citizen.

FFS.
Original post by joe cooley
Anything else about Reid that could distinguish him from the vast majority of Brits, his religion or anything?

Ah, so Trump is wrong to ban people from the named countries BEFORE anyone from the seven countries have killed a US citizen.

FFS.

You're making a wild assumption that someone from those countries will actually carry out an attack in the US, despite no track record of it being plausible. Why not list Saudi Arabia if you're going on that flawed logic? Saudis carried out 9/11.
Reply 55
Original post by astutehirstute
If you feel Muslim culture is superior to the culture of this country's, why are you living here?

Go and live in a Muslim country. They are great shape already obviously, not backward and war torn and politically unfree, but I am sure would welcome you to make things even better.

Say InshAllah.

Original post by cbreef
It is.

Tisn't.

Original post by joe cooley
Well, millions of Muslims agree with me thats why so many of them live in the West or are desperately trying to get into the West.

Not many Westerners moving to Muslim countries are there?

What can you do when America's bombed your homeland eh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're making a wild assumption that someone from those countries will actually carry out an attack in the US, despite no track record of it being plausible. Why not list Saudi Arabia if you're going on that flawed logic? Saudis carried out 9/11.

Wild assumption?

Only if you're willing to suspend reality and ignore the fact that every Muslim nation produces extremists with a burning hatred for the West and the US in particular.

Saudi....

I can't understand why they were not included in the ban.

It could be that their citizens are documented and thus easier to vet, or it could be the malign influence of Saudi oil wealth,who knows?

Maybe Trump should have followed the Muslim model and simply barred entry to anyone bearing a passport from any Muslim country.
What I'm failing to understand is that, if this ban was supposed to be in the interest of national security, why has he not banned two certain countries who have contributed to a major terrorist attack in the US? I suppose this was due to the fact that he has business ties with these two countries, coupled with the fact that he still wants oil from them which contradicts with the fact that he wants America to be self-sufficient.

What was the point of the ban then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Moonstruck16
What about dat Saudi Arabian oil$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who gonna pay the gas money doe ??s%%$$
Original post by HAnwar

What can you do when America's bombed your homeland eh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stay and rebuild it like the Germans did after WW2, maybe?

Out of curiosity, when are you moving back to the culturally superior Islamic world, it must be hell on earth for you, living in such an inferior culture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending