The Student Room Group

Why do you drink fizzy drinks, and how often? I don't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glassapple
Something you do every weekend, then suddenly stop, is going to have a psychological impact. If from now you didn't ever drink one again, how would you feel and how do you think you'd feel in the future? If it's just a weekend thing, why not just stop drinking them altogether?

Maybe a mild impact, but it's a slight habit rather than an addiction if it's just something you consume on a weekend. I'd miss it, but I'm not going to be climbing the walls because I haven't had my cola fix that weekend :rofl: Like sometimes I've not been well over a weekend and not drank any cola then of course, it's not even been on my mind. So I could stop drinking it, but the question is, why would I want to??? I enjoy it, and only drink it in moderation. Most foodstuffs in moderation are perfectly fine from a health perspective. It's when such things make up a significant part of your diet on a daily or almost daily basis that it causes a problem.
Reply 41

I never understand the money argument. Fruit and vegetables are cheap if you go to cheap places. It doesn't take much time to peel a banana.

I eat fruits and vegetables and I love them. :smile: What I meant is that I often eat outside in cheap places when there is little choice what to drink so there's that. I have a bottle of coke occasionally at home. I really like juices, especially grapefruits ones or simply orange. But good juices are expensive and I don't buy them often. Beside that, I sin a lot eating unhealthy things and living unhealthy life. :smile: At least I walk a lot and don't really drink, don't smoke at all. But I should really cut on the amount of sweets in my diet.
I'd say like once every few months or something. My family sometimes drinks it whenever we have pizza but otherwise I never drink fizzy because I'm terrified of it staining my teeth.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Maybe a mild impact, but it's a slight habit rather than an addiction if it's just something you consume on a weekend. I'd miss it, but I'm not going to be climbing the walls because I haven't had my cola fix that weekend :rofl: Like sometimes I've not been well over a weekend and not drank any cola then of course, it's not even been on my mind. So I could stop drinking it, but the question is, why would I want to??? I enjoy it, and only drink it in moderation. Most foodstuffs in moderation are perfectly fine from a health perspective. It's when such things make up a significant part of your diet on a daily or almost daily basis that it causes a problem.

How many things do most people say they have in moderation though? People say stuff like they only have chococolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, sweets, cake, etc in 'moderation' because they only make up one or two small parts of their daily diet, then over the week they may have had ten, twenty, thirty things in 'moderation'. If it's just a weekend thing and you don't feel like you need it, and it is bad for you, why wouldn't you just stop and drink something healthier?
(edited 7 years ago)
How many things do most people say they have in moderation though? People say stuff like they only have chococolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, sweets, cake etc in 'moderation' because they only make up one or two small parts of their daily diet, then over the week they may have had ten, twenty, thirty things in 'moderation'. If it's just a weekend thing and you don't feel like you need it, and it is bad for you, why wouldn't you just stop and drink something healthier?

Moderation generally means a bit here and there, of course some people have a warped perception of what moderation entails but, for example, I typically drink one and a half litres per week, not much in the grand scheme of things. As I said already, I enjoy it and I don't have it on a regular basis so it's not going to negatively affect my health, so why would I stop drinking it? Every major health board and organisation recognises the "80:20 rule" (i.e. 80% good, wholesome foods, 20% whatever you fancy) as a solid guideline for staying healthy. A bit of crap here and there isn't unhealthy, it's when it makes up a large proportion of your diet that it poses a problem.

you must be pretty dense.

you said THE WHOLE of the recommended daily allowance.

35g isn't.
Original post by tehforum
you must be pretty dense.

you said THE WHOLE of the recommended daily allowance.

35g isn't.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/sugars.aspx The NHS says 30g a day, so that would be more then the recommended daily allowance. Other sites say 37.5g, so one can would be 93%. I'm sure with the added sugar in other drinks and food that drinking one can would push many people far over 100%.
I usually only have fizzy drinks when I have a meal at the café at my nearest Sainsbury's store, and I usually go for the large drink option and have a fizzy orange drink.

At least it earns me an extra nectar card point if nothing else. :biggrin:
Reply 49
I have at the very least 660ml a day (2 cans)

usually more though I've been addicted since i was a kid to coke mostly
I don't. They taste gross.

I only drink water and milk

and very occasionally fruit juice or smoothies.
every day. i find water boring but i havent put weight on with them, and my teeth are good. i find they just tend to wake me up a bit as opposed to water. and i like it when bubbles/fizz comes out my nose
Tbh i used to often drink energy drinks tbh and fizzy drinks like once a day , not anymore tbh , about once every 2 weeks :biggrin:
I drink a can of diet coke/pepsi a day, mostly for the caffiene
Don't like anything fizzy. I can't stand champagne etc because of the bubbles.
Reply 55
It's better than alcohol :colonhash:
Dont drink alcohol so if i ever go out anywhere ill have cola or something instead, also tbh when im incredibly down and feeling isolated and alone in school or whatever ill go the little corner shop and get a can of coke or something just bc i dont exactly care about my life at that point and tbh as pick me ups go it isnt that bad as at least i dont smoke or something like ik other ppl do.
i usually have either diet or pepsi max or something but that has its own issues bc it increases my anxiety and gives me more palpitations than normal which oddly the normal stuff doesn't seem to do.
Original post by princesshan
I drink a can of diet coke/pepsi a day, mostly for the caffiene

Why not drink coffee then, as it's healthier than the sugary drinks, if it's just for the caffeine?
I drink a lot of water to break up the fizzy drinks (including energy drinks) and I tend to eat a lot less sugary foods than most people so meh
Why not drink coffee then, as it's healthier than the sugary drinks, if it's just for the caffeine?

Maybe he/she likes the taste of pepsi ?

Quick Reply

Latest