The Student Room Group

Why do you drink fizzy drinks, and how often? I don't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Casisalive
Maybe he likes the taste of pepsi ?

Maybe that's why he'll get tooth decay and put on weight?
(edited 7 years ago)
If you burn more calories than you intake you wont gain weight, and alongside good dental hygiene im pretty sure one can a day wont matter.
I only drink pepsi max or fanta but it's not very often. I only drink them if I need a boost of energy or if I have greasy food and that's also not very often. :colonhash:
I drink fizzy drinks everyday....

It tastes good.
I love Coke, Dr Pepper, root beer & cream soda.

I drink them often but i'm trying to cut down massively.
Reply 65
I only drink diet/zero. I've been trying to drink more water lately and it's going good. I only have sugary drinks if it's something special like blue raspberry soda but hardly… I've had cider once and after seeing the sugar contents… no thanks. I hardly drink beer, But when I do try getting the 'premium light' stuff. It's amazing seeing this kids just drinking loads of lucazade and Coca Cola without knowing what they're putting in their body… terrible.
I drink fizzy coca cola / Pepsi whenever I have a meal/takeaway. I drink coke most days. I mostly buy mini coca cola cans. I like them because they give me energy (caffeine) and calories (Im a bit slim).
I always brush my teeth 3-4 times a day to minimise the damage to teeth.
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to stop drinking fizzy drinks tbh... any alternatives (other than water) and any tips for stopping?
I very rarely drink fizzy drinks
Soda is my absolute favorite thing to drink, particularly barq's and mountain dew. When I go out for food i try to order beer or cider with my meal even though they're more expensive because I don't trust myself with the free refills of soda. I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, I don't eat a lot of unhealthy food, I play sports and try not to eat too much, so, so what if I have this vice - I'm a hockey fan; all my heroes are missing teeth! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glassapple
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/sugars.aspx The NHS says 30g a day, so that would be more then the recommended daily allowance. Other sites say 37.5g, so one can would be 93%. I'm sure with the added sugar in other drinks and food that drinking one can would push many people far over 100%.

It's just a ballpark figure, is the thing. More than 35g a day isn't even close to being unhealthy for many people. It's the same as the recommendation for caloric intake - 2000 calories a day for men. A short, skinny man who weighs 120lbs and is mostly sedentary isn't going to have the same caloric requirements as a 220lbs tall muscular guy, for example. Same goes for sugar intake - the short and light guy who doesn't exercise much isn't going to be able to utilise sugars for a worthy cause even half as much as the tall, muscular guy who not only uses glucose during regular exercise sessions and could tolerate more due to the same amount making up a much smaller percentage of his caloric intake, but also what with the extra muscle mass there's also practically more space for glycogen storage.
Very rarely have fizzy drinks, it's just empty calories and tbh they don't taste amazing.

If I do have fizzy drinks, it's usually the low calorie version and only when mixed with spirits.

Fresh, cold water does the trick for me. If I need energy, I'll just stick to tea or coffee.
Mixing spirits with juices like orange, pineapple or cranberry would be better. Obviously it doesn't make the entire thing healthy, but it's healthier than lemonade or cola.

Actually pure fruit juices are worse for you than most carbonated drinks going around these days.

Fructose not so good for you...
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/sugars.aspx The NHS says 30g a day, so that would be more then the recommended daily allowance. Other sites say 37.5g, so one can would be 93%. I'm sure with the added sugar in other drinks and food that drinking one can would push many people far over 100%.

Woody has already addressed this, but it is important to understand where these statistics come from.

Firstly, they are nearly always on tiny, skinny-fat, average height sedentary folk.

Secondly, it is an average recommended intake extrapolated usually from some correlative health effects over a certain period of time. It is not suggesting that if in one day you go over the 100% quota and then in the next day only consume 70% that you will have bad health. It's a long term thing. If you drink no soda all week then have a litre on a saturday night... Not gonna make any real difference.

And thirdly, somewhat relevant to the above, if you've done a lot of exercise on that day suddenly that 'average recommendation' totally goes out the window. Since you aren't an average person having an average day if you've done a lot of exercise on any given day.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Actually pure fruit juices are worse for you than most carbonated drinks going around these days.

Fructose not so good for you...

I know fructose isn't good, but you can't tell me that it's worse than carbonated drinks from a processing plant. Yes fruit juices are also high in sugar, but at least they have fruit and vitamins in them.
I don't get it either, but the same way I don't get people that have really poor diets altogether. I rarely drink fizzy drinks... I sometimes crave it but that soon goes... if it doesn't I'll give in to a diet coke - this is, say, once a month/two months.

I used to have to drink coke with a takeaway but much prefer just having water instead now.
Original post by Cherub012
No way as much as a can of coke. If you drink one can, you've reached the limit of your daily recommended amount of sugar iirc.

If you drink a 500ml bottle (not a can) you've had about 54g sugar - some of the Starbucks Grande drinks ~450 ml contain 60g+! This was actually blew up in the news before xmas, and *so* many people were shocked by it..

Of course, depends what you order & if you go for coke/diet/zero/life, etc., as to which is worse for you. And Pepsi at least contains aspartame, etc.

But it's definitely worth noting
Original post by Naveed-7
I drink fizzy coca cola / Pepsi whenever I have a meal/takeaway. I drink coke most days. I mostly buy mini coca cola cans. I like them because they give me energy (caffeine) and calories (Im a bit slim).
I always brush my teeth 3-4 times a day to minimise the damage to teeth.

I'm surprised you don't have really sensitive teeth brushing that many times a day
Why not drink coffee then, as it's healthier than the sugary drinks, if it's just for the caffeine?

I can't stand the taste of coffee
Plus if you're out and about coffee on the high street is far from healthy
And I drink the diet versions of Coke & Pepsi - no sugar!!
Original post by princesshan
I can't stand the taste of coffee
Plus if you're out and about coffee on the high street is far from healthy
And I drink the diet versions of Coke & Pepsi - no sugar!!

The diet versions have even more artificial sweeteners and additives in, which are just as bad as sugar, if not pretty much sugar anyway. I'm sure there is actual sugar in diet versions or they just wouldn't be able to be made; maybe it's not called sugar, doesn't mean it's not in there anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply