The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
I will not be in any fit shape to start Cambridge...but as they say, you can't forget anything you didn't know initially :rofl: :rofl:

Glad to see my personality coming through online messages :smile:

Hahaha nah mate, you'll be completely fit! have fun before academic hell bruv!

Indeed :tongue:

Original post by daniilS
Doing good, thanks! Had exams after the holidays, but those are over now finally so I've got some free time to completely waste. What about you?

Busy... a lot of essays and stuff due and external exams in May.

Wait are those finals? so basically you'll know before everyone else if you make your offer? loool :biggrin:

What you planning to do for the next few months? xD
Original post by wolfmoon88

Wait are those finals? so basically you'll know before everyone else if you make your offer? loool :biggrin:

Haha nah, those are smaller exams that count towards about 15% of my final mark. Finals make up 50%. So for the next few months, alternate between procrastinating on revising and procrastinating on other things when I don't have any exams coming up, probably :lol:
Original post by daniilS
Haha nah, those are smaller exams that count towards about 15% of my final mark. Finals make up 50%. So for the next few months, alternate between procrastinating on revising and procrastinating on other things when I don't have any exams coming up, probably :lol:

Well you got 15% outta the way xD :tongue:

When are your first exams? :biggrin:

that's cool, I'm the same probs after I give in all the essays

Hmm I'm not convinced I'll survive hahaha, a month straight of partying and drinking is a bit extreme even for me :rofl:
Well you got 15% outta the way xD :tongue:

When are your first exams? :biggrin:

that's cool, I'm the same probs after I give in all the essays

I've had three or these exam weeks so far, so there's one more to come in March and then my finals are in the beginning of May
Hmm I'm not convinced I'll survive hahaha, a month straight of partying and drinking is a bit extreme even for me :rofl:

At least you'll die happy eh? :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
I wasn't going to reapply to Cambridge but I can't stop thinking about it... I do want to go to uni next year incase I don't get in a second time (do they look down upon this? I will probably be going to uni in Dublin so would they know?) My only hesitation is I'm 19 in September so if I do reapply and get in I'll be 20 as a first year...
Original post by thebelljar98
I wasn't going to reapply to Cambridge but I can't stop thinking about it... I do want to go to uni next year incase I don't get in a second time (do they look down upon this? I will probably be going to uni in Dublin so would they know?) My only hesitation is I'm 19 in September so if I do reapply and get in I'll be 20 as a first year...

Yes they would know because you have to tell them, but it probably won't impact a re-application as it's not a UK university.

And 20 is not an issue.
Original post by jneill
Yes they would know because you have to tell them, but it probably won't impact a re-application as it's not a UK university.

And 20 is not an issue.

Thank you! I do have a few offers from a few UK universities (KCL, Durham, Edinburgh), so if I choose to study at one of these rather than Dublin and reapply whilst I'm in my first year there, would it hinder my chances?
Thank you! I do have a few offers from a few UK universities (KCL, Durham, Edinburgh), so if I choose to study at one of these rather than Dublin and reapply whilst I'm in my first year there, would it hinder my chances?

Cambridge don't allow it except in "exceptional circumstances".

Edit to add: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by daniilS
At least you'll die happy eh? :lol:

Depends how I die :lol: I don't fancy getting run over by a quad-bike...
Original post by jneill
Cambridge don't allow it except in "exceptional circumstances".

Edit to add: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

What would an 'exceptional circumstance' be in this case?

I'm going to be turning 20 just as I start at Cambridge; I don't think it'll be a huge issue personally.
Original post by auburnstar
What would an 'exceptional circumstance' be in this case?

You'd have to ask Cambridge :wink:

But I suspect "because I want to have my cake and eat it" wouldn't be quite exceptional enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: I'm sure you'll survive and become a "better" person as a result of it :tongue: xD

Original post by daniilS
I've had three or these exam weeks so far, so there's one more to come in March and then my finals are in the beginning of May

Cool :tongue: Mine are all in May! so let's smash these exams xD

Cambridge don't usually accept application from someone who's already enrolled to (including during a gap year for deferred entry) another uk university as they don't want to be seen poaching a good student from another uni.
If you want to apply to Cambridge, you'll have to give up your place at the university you're at before you apply.

Before you decide (if you decide to go ahead), one thing you should know is that many applicants have grades that exceed their minimum requirement, majority of successful candidates definitely do, naturally. So even you have competitive grades that's higher than their requirement, there's no guarantee you'll be successful.
This is the risk you need to know before you make the decision.
@thebelljar98

But equally, if you do exceed A*AA and take a gap year, it is highly likely that universities will make their offers again the second time around. In addition, given that it is not all down to grades, if you feel like you would regret not applying again and don't invest too much emotionally in it, it is just the UCAS fee, some interviews and the time spent preparing for the app. Be prepared for any outcome and be willing to take risks if you feel they are wise! Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
But equally, if you do exceed A*AA and take a gap year, it is highly likely that universities will make their offers again the second time around. In addition, given that it is not all down to grades, if you feel like you would regret not applying again and don't invest too much emotionally in it, it is just the UCAS fee, some interviews and the time spent preparing for the app. Be prepared for any outcome and be willing to take risks if you feel they are wise! Best of luck!

Lol
Maybe you want to quote OP, not me. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Your age isn't an issue at all. What is your motivation for reapplying? I would advise concentrating upon you summer exams now and consider your options later on when you have your results. Your exams will now come around very quickly.

You already have great uni offers, you may surprise yourself in a few months and decide you want to take one of them up.😜 By all means if you are intent on reapplying do so. You will more than likely need to exceed their standard offer and have something constructive in place for your gap year, ideally subject related for a part of it to demonstrate your interest but not necessary ( I "think").

Summer exams should be your priority at the minute. Best of luck.
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has got feedback from Cambridge yet?

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending