The Student Room Group

If you don't shop at aldi or lidl, why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misstiah_h
I think because there are more visual displays and offers in supermarkets you are more tempted to spend money there than online. Also, with online shopping you can keep track of the total price as you add items to the basket instead of having an unpleasant surprise at the till.. just saying.

tbh I just use the calculator on my phone if I care that much but half the time I can keep track in my head of how much my shopping is going to cost and it's always a nice surprise when it turns out cheaper than expected.
Original post by Joshale
I have the money, probably more than you but I don't like wasting it on things that are hell lot cheaper. Chavs lol, only if you're in a rundown area, as my aldi carpark is starting to be full of luxurious cars, but if you like to be ignorant then sure:smile:

I doubt you have money if you're that concerned about saving £25 a week. Rip that up in front of me and tell me that again.
There was a TV show exposing Aldi a few months back. Plus i hate aldi in general, some of their produce isn't up to scratch. A friend of mine found a dead wasp in their peas.
Reply 23
Original post by Fusion
Aldi's not a pleasant shopping experience, the queues and till staffage is a bit of an issue for me. Then there's the quality of what they sell. Take their yoghurts. I notice the amount of protein is a fraction of what you'd get in a similar sized one from branded products/tesco etc. I came to the conclusion it's a bit of an illusion. Yes, they do have some good stuff. But generally it's an inferior product and service to other supermarkets. Great for those on constrained budgets though.

I agree that it can be a bit of a nightmare but I shop late when it's less busy, and I don't really care as I'm in there for 10-15 minutes.

Should try a brand test with some products and not knowing which is what. Did that with a few items including beans, cereal and chocolate and amongst other things. Out of 10 items I tried vs branded items, 6 of them were aldis which I preferred, just the snobbery in people can put them off it (initially I hated aldi until I tried it)

Anyway saving 1300 a year which can buy a nice new gaming computer, worth it.
I shop at just about all of them. I get bored. I prefer Aldi over Lidl as you can get a more complete shop there. Aldi can get a bit dull after a while, but its good for basics. If you are a student on a budget then you should really use them if possible.
Reply 25
Original post by Glassapple
I doubt you have money if you're that concerned about saving £25 a week. Rip that up in front of me and tell me that again.

I work in the finance sector, I ain't poor but I ain't stupid who likes to waste money on overpriced food, same can't be said for you.
As most of the Waitrose labels say...

"Our fundamental belief is that few things in life are more important than the food you buy. Good quality is essential."
If I'm going to be honest, because I was brought up with the "if it ain't expensive it, ain't good" attitude". Whenever I think of Aldi or Lidl I just think it's gonna be rotten fruit and disgusting crisp and stuff, when I know it's not (saying that I shopped in Lidl in France and it was fine).
Original post by Joshale
I work in the finance sector, I ain't poor but I ain't stupid who likes to waste money on overpriced food, same can't be said for you.

Well I have the money to 'waste', though I don't feel it is a waste. I'd rather spend more money on something I felt was better quality, grown in a better way, was tastier, had less filler rubbish in, etc. Psychologically it just makes me feel better as well; I like to feel I'm eating the best things I can.
Reply 29
Well I have the money to 'waste', though I don't feel it is a waste. I'd rather spend more money on something I felt was better quality, grown in a better way, was tastier, had less filler rubbish in, etc. Psychologically it just makes me feel better as well; I like to feel I'm eating the best things I can.

I'm guessing you're still living with your parents and don't have a job. That mentality is cute, the more expensive something is, the better, I bet a hustler could sell you a £1 lamp for £500 to you because it was "handcrafted" :tongue:
Much bigger selection of products in Tesco or Asda.
Original post by Joshale
I'm guessing you're still living with your parents and don't have a job. That mentality is cute, the more expensive something is, the better, I bet a hustler could sell you a £1 lamp for £500 to you because it was "handcrafted" :tongue:

I bet a supermarket could sell you something for 12p because it's 'value' and it's been spat on by a field worker and processed the hell out of in a manufacturing plant.
Reply 32
I bet a supermarket could sell you something for 12p because it's 'value' and it's been spat on by a field worker and processed the hell out of in a manufacturing plant.

I don't buy processed food as I like to stay in shape, but sure:u:
I'm only on a student budget, I can't really afford to not shop at aldi. So I usually do most of my shopping there, and go to tesco or morrisons to get the things I can't get in aldi.

But the people complaining about the checkout queues in aldi do have a point. Unless you go at an unreasonable hour there'll often be a queue, and it seems they try to have as few tills staffed as they can get away with. Plus, there isn't as much variety as you would get from other shops.
Have to agree with others, Aldi just isn't a pleasant experience. The quality is good, I'd buy bits and bobs from there and just mix it with Asda. But shopping at Asda is a much better experience imo. Self-service, better brands, Asda's Own option, not a dingy cramped store with hardly any staff.
I don't have them where I live but I've been there it's not bad I'd rather shop at Tesco, Morrison or Asda
Reply 36
They don't have everything, some of there items are bad quality not that many tho, bad customer service, not a huge range of brands and most importantly no loyalty scheme! The reason people return to Tesco again and again is because of clubcars rewards.
Original post by Joshale

You are correct ofc. You can still get value for money which doesnt sacrifice quality, especially if you cook from scratch.
The closest to me is Tesco, followed by ASDA.
Usually go to Lidl over Aldi 'cause you can get fresh bread and pastries from the bakery in-store, get a few bits from Morrisons as well.

I don't know why anyone would really care about the "experience". It's food shopping not a leisure activity.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest