The Student Room Group

How heavy is your bag? Whats your filing system?

Hi there!

So my parents think my bag is too heavy in comparison to other students at my college. I take 2 big leaver-arch binders to college everyday. I have 3 in total (one for each subject) but my timetable means I only need 2 a day.

Do you take all your notes and modules to school everyday? We're just moving into new units in two of my subjects - should I start new folders for them so there's less to carry?

If you use multiple binders for one subject, what's your filing system?

I'm a AS student if its of any help!

Thanks guys.

P.S - if its of any help, I'm doing Law, Government and Politics, and Sociology. All are AQA.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by UnHolyMacaroni
Hi there!

So my parents think my bag is too heavy in comparison to other students at my college. I take 2 big leaver-arch binders to college everyday. I have 3 in total (one for each subject) but my timetable means I only need 2 a day.

Do you take all your notes and modules to school everyday? We're just moving into new units in two of my subjects - should I start new folders for them so there's less to carry?

Thanks guys.

You could take everything, but you will destroy several bags (trust me from experience). I'd advise just taking what you'll need for the day. Unless you've got a locker to put stuff in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
You could take everything, but you will destroy several bags (trust me from experience). I'd advise just taking what you'll need for the day. Unless you've got a locker to put stuff in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha - thats why I bought the sturdiest backpack I could find! (No damn lockers sadly, but then again I would be the type of person that'd lose the key so.)

Ty
Reply 3
Haha - thats why I bought the sturdiest backpack I could find! (No damn lockers sadly, but then again I would be the type of person that'd lose the key so.)

Ty

Plus, I forgot to mention; it might not be hurting your back now, but you'll feel it later in life (like uni sorta time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Plus, I forgot to mention; it might not be hurting your back now, but you'll feel it later in life (like uni sorta time)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. My parents are right but I just have to check with people sometimes.
Reply 5
Good point. My parents are right but I just have to check with people sometimes.

I know that feeling:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I found that it isn't necessary to carry all my folders even if I have a lesson on it that day. I usually just carry one ring binder on the lesson I have a double on.

In terms of filing, I have three ring binders for geography (well two currently, but we're going to start a new topic in march), a ring binder for economics, and politics.

Hi there!

Thanks guys.

P.S - if its of any help, I'm doing Law, Government and Politics, and Sociology. All are AQA.
Original post by aamirac
I found that it isn't necessary to carry all my folders even if I have a lesson on it that day. I usually just carry one ring binder on the lesson I have a double on.

In terms of filing, I have three ring binders for geography (well two currently, but we're going to start a new topic in march), a ring binder for economics, and politics.

Thank you - I'm probably going to end up doing a similar thing as yourself now that we're moving on to new units.
Reply 8
Thank you - I'm probably going to end up doing a similar thing as yourself now that we're moving on to new units.

You're welcome! :h:

Yeah I had an lever arch for geography, but then it got full and quite heavy to carry and sometimes I won't have both teachers on the same day so I separated them. It makes it easier to revise as I know where specific topics are as well.

Do you carry your textbooks as well as your folders? I usually carry all of mine even if I don't have a lesson on it that day so I can revise in my frees. :redface:
Original post by aamirac
You're welcome! :h:

Yeah I had an lever arch for geography, but then it got full and quite heavy to carry and sometimes I won't have both teachers on the same day so I separated them. It makes it easier to revise as I know where specific topics are as well.

Do you carry your textbooks as well as your folders? I usually carry all of mine even if I don't have a lesson on it that day so I can revise in my frees. :redface:

I'm lucky - I only have one textbook (for GovPol) :smile:. Over the summer I'm going to invest in some more textbooks for revision. We have a ebook copy of our Law textbook and our Sociology department only recommend buying the books if we feel we need it so!

To be honest, I can't imagine taking textbooks as well as my current folders - I think I would collapse.
I carry quite a lot.

I take an A4 wallet per class with only the notes I think I'll need for that day. My lecturers provide us with rather thick handouts (my microbiology procedures handout is 70pgs+!) so it's still a bit hefty. For some classes I carry a (thankfully thin!) textbook. I need to carry a lab coat + goggles 2/3 days a week and I take a packed lunch on full days. If I've Student Association work that day I carry the shirt and hoodie I need to wear for that. I also carry two bottles of water. Then on top of that I usually have a pencil case / calculator / purell / various meds & hygiene products / wallet / and either my Kindle or my 3DS. :smile:

... sounds worse than it actually is. It's more bulky than heavy.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm lucky - I only have one textbook (for GovPol) :smile:. Over the summer I'm going to invest in some more textbooks for revision. We have a ebook copy of our Law textbook and our Sociology department only recommend buying the books if we feel we need it so!

To be honest, I can't imagine taking textbooks as well as my current folders - I think I would collapse.

Ahh I see, I have one politics textbook, two for geography, and my econ one is on my phone.

I guess that's why mine doesn't weigh as much, I'd rather bring my textbooks than all my folders. :redface:
Original post by sinfonietta
I carry quite a lot.

I take an A4 wallet per class with only the notes I think I'll need for that day. My lecturers provide us with rather thick handouts (my microbiology procedures handout is 70pgs+!). For some classes I carry a (thankfully thin!) textbook. I need to carry a lab coat + goggles 2/3 days a week and I take a packed lunch on full days. If I've Student Association work that day I carry the shirt and hoodie I need to wear for that. I also carry two bottles of water. Then on top of that I usually have a pencil case / calculator / purell / various meds & hygiene products / wallet / and either my Kindle or my 3DS. :smile:

... sounds worse than it actually is. It's more bulky than heavy.

That does sound bulky! I would probably hate carrying all that simply because it reminds me too much of my P.E bag! :rofl:
Original post by aamirac
Ahh I see, I have one politics textbook, two for geography, and my econ one is on my phone.

I guess that's why mine doesn't weigh as much, I'd rather bring my textbooks than all my folders. :redface:

Ahh I see! My law and sociology teachers give us so many handouts and sheets, and we do most of our work out of booklets. My law teacher actually frequently criticisms the law textbook for not having enough cases and detail :rofl:. So with all the handouts we just don't really need the textbooks when we're in college especially.
The only things I take in my bag are my pencil case, planner, paper, DS, calculators, and lunchbox. I only bring my textbooks in if I know I'll need them. I used to have a messenger bag but I always felt lopsided whilst walking with it on, so now I have a backpack, and it's pretty good so far.
I carry a big lever arch folder around with me all day in my arm, which stores all the work I've done in the current term so I can quickly look through it. The work is separated into their different subjects and topics by dividers so I can search through it easily. As soon as I receive a handout or finish working on a piece of paper I holepunch it, if not already holepunched, and put it in the folder, so I can find it again if I need it.
Then, after each term, I empty my big folder into smaller ones I always leave behind, one for each subject. I definitely find it helps keep the weight down whilst having all the information I need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending