The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from PGCE

HI,

I haven't been enjoying my PGCE and have decided that being a teacher is not for me and therefore I am going to start looking at other careers.

I receive a tuition loan and a maintenance loan. I'm trying to work out the best time to leave as I have spent my maintenance loan. I'm guessing for tuition fees its best to leave before term 3 so that I only need to pay back 50%, but what about maintenance loans?
I'm reading some posts that I'll just pay back what I've already been paid as part of my salary, some are saying that I'll have to pay back all of the maintenance loan for term 2 immediately.
Original post by pgce113
HI,

I haven't been enjoying my PGCE and have decided that being a teacher is not for me and therefore I am going to start looking at other careers.

I receive a tuition loan and a maintenance loan. I'm trying to work out the best time to leave as I have spent my maintenance loan. I'm guessing for tuition fees its best to leave before term 3 so that I only need to pay back 50%, but what about maintenance loans?
I'm reading some posts that I'll just pay back what I've already been paid as part of my salary, some are saying that I'll have to pay back all of the maintenance loan for term 2 immediately.

It will depend on your withdrawal date - if you withdraw a day/week before your next maintenance instalment date then SLC will calculate that you have had none (or very little) maintenance loan overpaid. It's only the overpayment amount that they'll try to recover ASAP (although they will be reasonable if you're not able to repay immediately). Anything not classed as an overpayment will be added to your undergrad loans and come out of your (future) salary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending