The Student Room Group

Higher French 2016/17

This poll is closed

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Which area(s) do you find the most difficult?

Reading 0%
Writing (part of Listening Exam) 20%
Performance (Speaking) 0%
Listening 60%
Directed Writing 10%
Translation10%
Total votes: 10

CfE Higher French
2016 - 2017

Exam Times
Reading and Directed Writing : Monday 15 May, 09:00 - 10:40
Listening and Writing : Monday 15 May, 11:00 - 12:00

Salut à tous!
Welcome to the CfE Higher French thread for the Session of 2016-2017!

BONNE CHANCE!
-

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Was waiting for a Higher French thread to appear
It's my favourite subject :biggrin:
Do you take any other languages? I'm doing French, German and Spanish lol, gonna to them all to advanced
Our prelims tommorow, and then we need to prepare for the speaking tests, which are apparently mid February
Reply 2
Original post by ___Sophie___
Was waiting for a Higher French thread to appear
It's my favourite subject :biggrin:
Do you take any other languages? I'm doing French, German and Spanish lol, gonna to them all to advanced
Our prelims tommorow, and then we need to prepare for the speaking tests, which are apparently mid February

It's my favourite subject too!

At the moment, I'm just doing H. French. I was going to do Nat5 Spanish this year because we weren't offered it before, but it didn't work out on my timetable, so I've had to delay it. Next year I'm going to do Higher Spanish alongside Advanced French. There's only French and Spanish at our school anyway, I'd do German if it was offered.

Our prelim's on Wednesday and our speaking exams are on the 24th Feb, I think.
Original post by françaisécossais
It's my favourite subject too!

At the moment, I'm just doing H. French. I was going to do Nat5 Spanish this year because we weren't offered it before, but it didn't work out on my timetable, so I've had to delay it. Next year I'm going to do Higher Spanish alongside Advanced French. There's only French and Spanish at our school anyway, I'd do German if it was offered.

Our prelim's on Wednesday and our speaking exams are on the 24th Feb, I think.

You'll like Spanish, there is quite a lot of similarities with French
I'm really looking forward to advanced as we get to study literature :biggrin: however we need to do a 20 minute speaking test lol :frown:

Whats your favourite part about the higher course? Mine would be writing, which most people seem to dislike...
Reply 4
You'll like Spanish, there is quite a lot of similarities with French
I'm really looking forward to advanced as we get to study literature :biggrin: however we need to do a 20 minute speaking test lol :frown:

Whats your favourite part about the higher course? Mine would be writing, which most people seem to dislike...

Yep, not looking forward to the 20-min speaking test!

I like everything, I suppose, but my favourite element is probably reading. It's the easiest part for me!
Yep, not looking forward to the 20-min speaking test!

I like everything, I suppose, but my favourite element is probably reading. It's the easiest part for me!

Yeah, I'll have to do a speaking test for all 3 languages hahaha :eek:
Reply 6
Yeah, I'll have to do a speaking test for all 3 languages hahaha :eek:

I do Higher Music and Higher Drama too, so the practical exams for those subjects are like a speaking test, but with more emotion lol!
I do Higher Music and Higher Drama too, so the practical exams for those subjects are like a speaking test, but with more emotion lol!

Yeah lol
I'm stuck worrying about stupid maths, hate it so so much, used to be really good at it in Nat 5 don't know what happened...
It's not even related to languages which is what I want to study at uni but I need to get an A :frown:
Reply 8
Yeah lol
I'm stuck worrying about stupid maths, hate it so so much, used to be really good at it in Nat 5 don't know what happened...
It's not even related to languages which is what I want to study at uni but I need to get an A :frown:

I did Nat5 last year and got a B, what I needed. The courses I want to do (French at Stirling or Applied Languages at Heriot Watt) only require a C at Nat 5 for Maths. I hated Maths, and seeing some of my friends who do Higher's work, I'm glad I didn't have to continue with it!
I did Nat5 last year and got a B, what I needed. The courses I want to do (French at Stirling or Applied Languages at Heriot Watt) only require a C at Nat 5 for Maths. I hated Maths, and seeing some of my friends who do Higher's work, I'm glad I didn't have to continue with it!

You're really lucky then!
I could've of taken another subject in place of maths, as I don't need maths specifically I just need straight A's (for Cambridge) however it's too late to change subjects
I genuinely think I've failed my maths prelim, got a C if I'm very lucky!
There's just all this problem solving and it makes no sense to me
Reply 10
You're really lucky then!
I could've of taken another subject in place of maths, as I don't need maths specifically I just need straight A's (for Cambridge) however it's too late to change subjects
I genuinely think I've failed my maths prelim, got a C if I'm very lucky!
There's just all this problem solving and it makes no sense to me

Hopefully everything will go well! I got a D in my prelim last year, but I managed a B in the final exam. Just keep working at it :-)
Hopefully everything will go well! I got a D in my prelim last year, but I managed a B in the final exam. Just keep working at it :-)

Hopefully yeah..
French prelim went very well today :biggrin:
Reply 12
Hopefully yeah..
French prelim went very well today :biggrin:

Glad to hear it! Well Done!
Glad to hear it! Well Done!

Cheers, best of luck for Wednesday
Reply 14
Cheers, best of luck for Wednesday

my prelim was in early december and compared to national 5 it was not much harder. I got an A in both prelim and final exam last year but only got a B in the higher prelim this year. Anyone have any tips/good websites to use other than BBC Bitesize?
Reply 16
Original post by DeanoMac
my prelim was in early december and compared to national 5 it was not much harder. I got an A in both prelim and final exam last year but only got a B in the higher prelim this year. Anyone have any tips/good websites to use other than BBC Bitesize?

I don't usually use websites for revision, our teacher gives us lots of resources to use. I found that listening to French music and watching French films helped my listening skills, and it expands the vocabulary. To help my reading, I like French pages on Facebook that post things like articles or videos so it's like revising without putting much thought into it.

Yeah I don't really use any specific websites either
There are some good apps such as memrise which help with vocabulary and also an app called news in slow French where you can listen and read French news at the same time and click on any words you don't know, this should help with your listening
Also try to have a good grammar book, I use one by a company called Schaum's, and the leckie and leckie study guide has lots of vocabulary lists in it.
thank you both, I'll try the facebook pages, news and apps! how do you feel about your prelims being so late?
thank you both, I'll try the facebook pages, news and apps! how do you feel about your prelims being so late?

Glad to be of help :smile:
Think it's better to have them later cause more of the course is covered by this point, our school used to do them in mid November which was way too early

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending