The Student Room Group

third year MCs Again pls help

Long story please bear with.

So during semester 1 of last year which was meant to be my final year of uni, my grandad passed away during the Jan exams. My grandad brought me up so very close etc., and I missed the exams. MCs accepted and the Uni said I could carry on to Semester 2 and resit the 3 missed exams this year. I did well in semester 2 I got 82 on my dissertation and 76, 77, and 80 on my three modules. I also got 78 average from second year.

The uni is aware I have got issues surrounding anxiety, depression and panic attacks. During this resit period, I had an awful surge in these symptoms. I was, and still am, feeling better off dead, anxious, didnt eat (dissolved sugar in hot water for energy), felt like a fraud, a failure, and panic attacks. I managed to get through the first two exams, however by the third I was physically and mentally unable. I crashed and went the GP who told me it was wise to take “respite” from the exams and return after I had improved. I was told I was close to hospitalisation.

I told my uni admin office who told me to send in evidence of MCs to be considered for re-sit. My GP wrote me a detailed note. My tutor didn't reply to my email. I was told that the options are either:

- I will graduate this year, with a failed module on my transcript, but with an overall average (so either a 2;1, or 1st)
- I can return in Jan to resit the one exam and graduate next year.

I know it's unfortunate circumstances and I am by no means special, but would I be out of place to ask if I could resit the exam or some form of assessment for the module during what would be semester 2?? As I am no longer a student in semester 2, I feel this would be more time-effective and would give me something to aim for. I feel like the circumstances of being a perfectionist and delaying graduation once have contributed to my depressive state and I dread to think what it would do to me again.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Original post by cherrycametoo
Long story please bear with.

So during semester 1 of last year which was meant to be my final year of uni, my grandad passed away during the Jan exams. My grandad brought me up so very close etc., and I missed the exams. MCs accepted and the Uni said I could carry on to Semester 2 and resit the 3 missed exams this year. I did well in semester 2 I got 82 on my dissertation and 76, 77, and 80 on my three modules. I also got 78 average from second year.

The uni is aware I have got issues surrounding anxiety, depression and panic attacks. During this resit period, I had an awful surge in these symptoms. I was, and still am, feeling better off dead, anxious, didnt eat (dissolved sugar in hot water for energy), felt like a fraud, a failure, and panic attacks. I managed to get through the first two exams, however by the third I was physically and mentally unable. I crashed and went the GP who told me it was wise to take “respite” from the exams and return after I had improved. I was told I was close to hospitalisation.

I told my uni admin office who told me to send in evidence of MCs to be considered for re-sit. My GP wrote me a detailed note. My tutor didn't reply to my email. I was told that the options are either:

- I will graduate this year, with a failed module on my transcript, but with an overall average (so either a 2;1, or 1st)
- I can return in Jan to resit the one exam and graduate next year.

I know it's unfortunate circumstances and I am by no means special, but would I be out of place to ask if I could resit the exam or some form of assessment for the module during what would be semester 2?? As I am no longer a student in semester 2, I feel this would be more time-effective and would give me something to aim for. I feel like the circumstances of being a perfectionist and delaying graduation once have contributed to my depressive state and I dread to think what it would do to me again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

does your university only have one graduation cohort? It seems strange you haven't been offered a summer sitting unless the exam is only available in semester 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending