The Student Room Group

What's your worst job interview story?

Last week I had an amazing job interview where I have it my absokute all, the interviewers were lovely and I came a close second.

Today was different. The interviewers were so cold and grumpy it put me on edge and I just mumbled my way through a barrage of questions. It was horrific. I find out on Friday if I got the job and I know I haven't. It was awful. I even said something slightly
Racist by accident. Jeez it was horrific.

Please cheer me up by telling me your bad job interview stories.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I always ask for water at interviews, I used to think it was a good idea and shows communication/confidence to ask for something. Anyway, I'm drinking from the glass only to think why am I only drinking a little, I look down and it's spilling all over my shirt and trousers… the rest is histroy. Funnily enough I didn't get the job.

Oh and don't worry.. I too said something racist, suggested an action which turned out to be illegal and thought I was being interviewed by a different company, what if I told you that was just in one interview? :frown: So that's 4 disasters in 2 interviews lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Your name should be 'Mezzlington'.
Original post by Mezza362
Last week I had an amazing job interview where I have it my absokute all, the interviewers were lovely and I came a close second.

Today was different. The interviewers were so cold and grumpy it put me on edge and I just mumbled my way through a barrage of questions. It was horrific. I find out on Friday if I got the job and I know I haven't. It was awful. I even said something slightly

Interview at a law firm. I pretended that I had read a legal case. Partner asked me about it and my opinions. Started mumbling and making up **** because I had to. Obviously they didn't fall for it and slowly replied "interesting...".
I heard someone was made to dance in an interview. Lol
Called the interviewer "mate" when I greeted him because they were on dress-down Friday and my brain got confused by the jeans. Still got the job!

Original post by Anfanny
I heard someone was made to dance in an interview. Lol

Job as a dance instructor by any chance?
Original post by WoodyMKC

Job as a dance instructor by any chance?

No Currys / PC World
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23972952

I was once asked "if you were an animal what you be?" I said I would be a bacteria. Interviewer was like WTF. "Why!?". I said coz bacteria dont get ill. I thought this was a kick ass answer implying I wouldnt take too many sickies. He then said "but they make me sick". I took that to mean **** off. You can guess the outcome.

Went to an interview for a pharmaceuticals job and realised afterwards that me blouse had unbuttoned itself and I was exposing vast amounts of bra, chest and stomach. Didn't get the job!
Reply 9
I mentioned that I ran a comedy blog a few years ago and they asked me to tell them a joke. Of all the wonderful jokes I knew, I went with "why did the chicken cross the road?".

I didn't get the job.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone. These gave me a chuckle! 😀
Thanks everyone. These gave me a chuckle! 😀

You did not get the job?
Reply 12
Original post by Trump UK Visit
You did not get the job?

They said I did and then emailed to say they had decided to go with another candidate and I was a very close second 😭
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Went to an interview for a pharmaceuticals job and realised afterwards that me blouse had unbuttoned itself and I was exposing vast amounts of bra, chest and stomach. Didn't get the job!

that's got to be doubly galling: accidentally showing tit and still not getting the gig.

I was interviewed for a funded PhD in computer science (why?). It being the summer holiday, the interviewer invited me to his house, a victorian semi in Edgbaston, incidental detail, and the loo was upstairs. I shot the bolt, literalism, and the sticky-out bit that you use to push and pull came off in my hand. "Are you okay up there?". Poor bloke had to kick his own lavatory door in, oh dear.
They said I did and then emailed to say they had decided to go with another candidate and I was a very close second 😭

Damn, That's sick that an employer would do such a lie!
I panicked answering competency questions and said 'I'm not good enough'. Somehow I got the internship.
Original post by queenofswords
I panicked answering competency questions and said 'I'm not good enough'. Somehow I got the internship.

Wow! Crazy stuff. I bet everyone else was pure stupid!
Reply 17
Original post by Trump UK Visit
Damn, That's sick that an employer would do such a lie!

I think the first choice declined the offer. They then offered it to me 'subject to references' while waiting to see if he changed his mind which he did.

They have said the next opportunity will be mine so we shall see if that's actually true.
I think the first choice declined the offer. They then offered it to me 'subject to references' while waiting to see if he changed his mind which he did.

They have said the next opportunity will be mine so we shall see if that's actually true.

I guess so! What company was this?
I got rejected by the Social Justice Warrior Community since I didn't have a liberal arts degree.

Quick Reply

Latest