The Student Room Group

Trump starts to row back on immigration ban

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/us/politics/white-house-official-in-reversal-says-green-card-holders-wont-be-barred.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

The Trump administration is starting to row back on parts of their immigration.

So were they incompetent and didn't realise the wording of the Executive Order would block green card holders too, or did they realise that and they're frightened by the level of pushback they've encountered?

I'd say probably a little from column A, a little from column B. But of course this won't make any difference to Trump supporters; they hate reason, sanity, competence and the accumulation of evidence because these are things that allow educated people 'pretend' they are superior.

Thankfully, Trump will fail. He's learned none of the lessons of Machiavelli. This is why he's already on his way to being the most hated politician in US history (his approval rating is around where Nixon's was during Watergate).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

He's a child, trapped in a century-old corpse, with a bleached wig from the tail-hair from an endangered blonde unicorn :closedeyes:

Petty, irresponsible, illogical. Business? This is presidency, not a post for CEO.

Grow up :dots:
I'm going for option C - that as with many authoritarian leaders before him, he's intentionally gone further than needed to and turned back in order to make what remains of his abhorrent order appear more reasonable.
Reply 3
Original post by AlexanderHam
\\

The executive order contains provisions for people to be allowed into the country on a case-by-case basis if they're residents of the countries effected, and the order was never supposed to impact permanent residents. The green card confusion was just that.

Honestly, the hysteria.
Why cant people let America do its thing. As much as I hate Trump, I see where he is coming from in banning immigrants. Sometimes if you want to remove toxic branches, you have to remove the whole tree. Just let Trump do his thing short of letting him launch missiles at everything.
Original post by Laomedeia
Why cant people let America do its thing. As much as I hate Trump, I see where he is coming from in banning immigrants. Sometimes if you want to remove toxic branches, you have to remove the whole tree.

Well said, he should also ban firearms. I know the gun lobby will complain but sometimes you have to take unpopular decisions. The amount of people in America who have been killed by people going on shooting sprees cannot be ignored. Ban firearms now and ignore the salty tears of gun enthusiasts, the moderates have had years to take action against and police the extremists amongst them.
Original post by Saoirse:3
I'm going for option C - that as with many authoritarian leaders before him, he's intentionally gone further than needed to and turned back in order to make what remains of his abhorrent order appear more reasonable.

But he's not done anything unreasonablle yet.
Reply 7
Couldn't this have been added to one of YOUR/the other twisted knicker Trump threads.

You are behaving like an attention seeker. Ham by name, ham it up by nature.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Israel bans Muslims from entering.

Bill Clinton started to build a wall with Mexico.

Bush killed over 1 million muslims.

But just ignore all of that. It's only fashionable to hate Trump.
Now they'll say it's because of Trump that the Quebec mosque shooting even happened...
Row back......

Clarify more like.

Trump has made a mistake on this one though, I would agree.

He really should have taken advice from the Saudi's, they implemented a scheme like this decades ago.

The Saudi scheme works like a dream and the SJW types around the world have never uttered a single protest !

T
Trump Is going to come out with those special IDs for Muslims to carry,probably next on his list.
Original post by queen-bee
Trump Is going to come out with those special IDs for Muslims to carry,probably next on his list.

Again, he needs to take the advice of the Saudis they have experience with this.....

https://www.quora.com/How-is-a-persons-Muslim-faith-verified-before-entering-Mecca

Hold on, as a non-Muslim i am barred from visiting Mecca?

Why, thats discriminatory isn't it.

Honestly, if you want to see what religious oppression looks like follow the link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Saudi_Arabia#Saudi_practices_as_.22religious_apartheid.22

No doubt you'll be moved to such angst you'll be organising marches, campaign.........or maybe not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joe cooley
Again, he needs to take the advice of the Saudis they have experience with this.....

https://www.quora.com/How-is-a-persons-Muslim-faith-verified-before-entering-Mecca

**** Saudi Arabia? They should have been the first on that list. Number 1! All the salafism and Wahhabism is what inspires all these violent jihadists,coming right out of the Saudi Arabia.

So you're not banned from The whole country but only a certain city they consider holy? That's none of my business. I've no interest in going there
Reply 14

Other bingo halls are available :smile:
I feel sorry for minorities in the US.
Original post by jape
The executive order contains provisions for people to be allowed into the country on a case-by-case basis if they're residents of the countries effected, and the order was never supposed to impact permanent residents. The green card confusion was just that.

Honestly, the hysteria.

Just think about what you are saying.

What use is a "case by case" approach at a destination to an airline? It needs to know before people board a flight whether they are going to be let in. It bares the cost of repatriating plus a hefty fine. Until Friday a visa was a presumptive statement by the US government (capable of individual revocation on arrival but meaningful in the overwhelming majority of cases) that a person would be admitted to the US.

Are you suggesting no-one asked the question before this order was signed off "what about permanent residents?"

Wasn't the hysteria, including from US business interests entirely predictable?

Let's look at a bit of the order that hasn't yet attracted attention; the abolition of the visa interview waiver. Low risk renewal visa applicants have not been interviewed before renewal. That policy is to go, but the reason the policy existed was because the US did not have the consular capacity to interview the necessary numbers. Trump has not proposed any increase in consular capacity. Within weeks there will be queues of businessmen and others trying to enter the USA, for visa appointments that will be months long.
Original post by queen-bee

Like the Star of David? Oh wait, that was something else.

Honestly, if you want to see what religious oppression looks like follow the link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Saudi_Arabia#Saudi_practices_as_.22religious_apartheid.22

No doubt you'll be moved to such angst you'll be organising marches, campaign.........or maybe not.

Look at me I am a Trump supporter and I have no absolute morals. My morality is entirely based on relativity.

I am racist? How can I be if things like the KKK exist?
Trump is overreacting? How is that possible, look at what the Saudis are doing.
Trump is misogynistic? How ever is that possible, he makes jokes, there's actual rapists out there.

And the list goes on :smile:
Original post by Therec00
Israel bans Muslims from entering.

No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending