The Student Room Group

Can 1 A, 4 B's and 5 C's get me into a Russell Group University?

Can 1 A, 4 B's and 5 C's get me into a Russell Group University?

Scroll to see replies

No. You need A levels.

Edit: Unless those are your A levels, in which case good job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, except for Medicine.

I'm pretty tired of posting this over and over again, this is the last time.

YOUR A LEVELS MATTER MORE.
If you get the appropriate A levels then that's fine i think. It depends on the uni but i'm fairly sure that most wont look too hard on GCSE's. Especially since you passed everything
Original post by cambio wechsel
No. You need A levels.

Hahahaha PRSOM
No. You need A levels.

I'm doing A Levels now, and predicted an A and 2 B's, hopefully I'll get at least 2 A's though.
Original post by georgiafitz16
I'm doing A Levels now, and predicted an A and 2 B's, hopefully I'll get at least 2 A's though.

that sounds ideal :tea:
Original post by Sakisaka
If you get the appropriate A levels then that's fine i think. It depends on the uni but i'm fairly sure that most wont look too hard on GCSE's. Especially since you passed everything

I passed everything, yes. I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing and Psychology. Predicted 1 A and 2 B's. Looking to do English Lit with Creative Writing.
Original post by Stoke123
Yes, except for Medicine.

I'm pretty tired of posting this over and over again, this is the last time.

YOUR A LEVELS MATTER MORE.

I'm pretty new here, so yeah. But thanks for the reply :smile:
Looking to do English Lit with Creative Writing.

Will be no problem: I always follow the Creative Writing applicants' threads on here just to enjoy how appallingly badly written all the posts are. They're very nearly as bad as the ones for the BA in Journalism and they all seem to get in nonetheless. :tea:
Will be no problem: I always follow the Creative Writing applicants' threads on here just to enjoy how appallingly badly written all the posts are. They're very nearly as bad as the ones for the BA in Journalism and they all seem to get in nonetheless. :tea:

Haha give them a break. They are hoping to write for a living, should be a little more lenient don't you think? After all, its only the internet. :smile:
English takes pretty much anyone, so you're good. Had a friend that got into English with literally no GCSEs at Bristol (although she did have D*D* in her BTECs).
Original post by SkyRees
English takes pretty much anyone, so you're good. Had a friend that got into English with literally no GCSEs at Bristol (although she did have D*D* in her BTECs).

Fair enough, got an A in English Language, B in Literature. All three of my A Levels are essay- based, and two are solely based on English. Thanks :smile:
I passed everything, yes. I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing and Psychology. Predicted 1 A and 2 B's. Looking to do English Lit with Creative Writing.

Do look at non-RG universites as their courses may be more interesting and linked to a future career.

RG is just a self-selected club and there are some amazing well-respected unis that are not RG.
Original post by Muttley79
Do look at non-RG universites as their courses may be more interesting and linked to a future career.

RG is just a self-selected club and there are some amazing well-respected unis that are not RG.

I absolutely agree with you, but regularly the grade boundaries to get into Russell Groups are higher, just wanted to consider my options. Thankyou for the reply :smile:
Fair enough, got an A in English Language, B in Literature. All three of my A Levels are essay- based, and two are solely based on English. Thanks :smile:

Then you ought to be fine! Which are your other two? :smile:
(Just to warn you - if they're Lit and Lang separately some places don't accept it. If it's aught like Drama, be careful because some universities have a list of "non-academic" subjects, Drama is usually on it).
Original post by Muttley79

Yes. UEA is the Oxbridge of Creative writing, this in the same way that Cardiff and Sussex are the Oxbridge (or enjoyably the Carsex) of journalism studies.
Original post by SkyRees
Then you ought to be fine! Which are your other two? :smile:
(Just to warn you - if they're Lit and Lang separately some places don't accept it. If it's aught like Drama, be careful because some universities have a list of "non-academic" subjects, Drama is usually on it).

I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing and Psychology. Was doing four but dropped Geography due to family problems and out of school commitments.
Yes. UEA is the Oxbridge of Creative writing, this in the same way that Cardiff and Sussex are the Oxbridge (or enjoyably the Carsex) of journalism studies.

Oh my gosh, a typical offer is with AAA. That's a massive reality check ekkk.
I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing and Psychology. Was doing four but dropped Geography due to family problems and out of school commitments.

I don't blame you; I did 5 AS Levels and had to drop to 3 A2s. That's a good mix though.

Oh my gosh, a typical offer is with AAA. That's a massive reality check ekkk.

Sussex is also pretty staunch with their entry requirements, where other places do tend to lower it if you have extenuating circumstances at all. Might be worth considering, I suppose. UEA I have heard is better with that, comparatively.

Quick Reply

Latest