The Student Room Group

Do I need to the core units for maths twice in order to do further maths?

Hi,
I am currently doing my International AS levels at the moment and I would like to clarify some things:

1. Do I need to repeat the core units in A2 to get a qualification in further maths?

2. What units do I have to do to gain a qualification in further maths?

3. Has anyone repeated C12 and C34 for the Further Maths qualification?

Would appreciate your response on this matter. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
C1234 are just for core Maths.

Further Maths has units FP1, FP2... etc, and you must do at least one in both the AS and A2 years. The third unit in each year can be any of the others. For example, you may have:

AS Maths: C1 C2 S1
A2 Maths: C3 C4 S2
AS FM: FP1 M1 D1
A2 FM: FP2 M2 D2
Original post by Count Bezukhov
C1234 are just for core Maths.

Further Maths has units FP1, FP2... etc, and you must do at least one in both the AS and A2 years. The third unit in each year can be any of the others. For example, you may have:

AS Maths: C1 C2 S1
A2 Maths: C3 C4 S2
AS FM: FP1 M1 D1
A2 FM: FP2 M2 D2

The information you gave is for IAL right? As that's what I'm taking.
Reply 3
Core and Further Maths are different subjects and are not related to each other (other than both of them being math).
Original post by ahnaf.mahmud
I'm not entirely sure for IAL, but I don't see why it would differ too much from the British A Levels. At any rate, as the other poster said, they're different subjects so you definitely won't be repeating units.
Ok. Let me explain my A level plan.

First of all to clarify I am doing the EDEXCEL INTERNATIONAL A LEVEL specification, not the normal A level spec. This is my plan for A level maths and further maths:

AS Mathematics: C12, M1 and S1
AS Further Mathematics: F1
A2 Mathematics: C34
A2 Further Mathematics: F2, M2 and S2

So my question is, do I need to repeat the Core units if I want to gain the Further Maths qualification as well? Or is taking it once in the regular maths not a problem.

If you are unfamiliar with the IAL specification, I'm including the spec below. Anyone who has knowledge about this stuff please go to pages 15 and 16 and let me know if I need to repeat the core units or not.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9781446925201_IAL_Maths_Iss3.pdf
Hi,
I am currently doing my International AS levels at the moment and I would like to clarify some things:

1. Do I need to repeat the core units in A2 to get a qualification in further maths?

2. What units do I have to do to gain a qualification in further maths?

3. Has anyone repeated C12 and C34 for the Further Maths qualification?

Would appreciate your response on this matter. Thanks.

For IAL
1. No
2. 6 units that are NOT used in maths and that include F1 and at least one more F units
3. No they haven't because you can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Count Bezukhov
I'm not entirely sure for IAL, but I don't see why it would differ too much from the British A Levels. At any rate, as the other poster said, they're different subjects so you definitely won't be repeating units.

Ok, and do you mind explaining what cashing in means?

The response by Count B is just one way of taking Further Maths.

I suggest you look at the Specification to find the modules you need,

Core modules are only part of Maths A level.
Original post by gdunne42
For IAL
1. No
2. 6 units that are NOT used in maths and that include F units
3. No they haven't because you can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this combination alright?

Is this combination alright?

No
Mathematics C12, C34, M1 and S1 are ok
Further maths F1, F2, M2 and S2 isn't enough, you need two more units.
As suggested above, look at page 11 of the specification, it explains the requirements and allowed combinations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No
Mathematics C12, C34, M1 and S1 are ok
Further maths F1, F2, M2 and S2 isn't enough, you need two more units.
As suggested above, look at page 11 of the specification, it explains the requirements and allowed combinations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you are saying this based on the IAL spec and not the regular A level spec?
Are you sure you are saying this based on the IAL spec and not the regular A level spec?

Yes I am sure.
Have you read the IAL specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am sure.
Have you read the IAL specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read the spec. So on page 12 stated on the spec (NOT the page number of the actual PDF file) it says "Students
who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules."

So if I interpreted this correctly, for IAL Maths I am doing C12, C34, M1 and S1. That makes FOUR different teaching modules. For IAL Further Maths I am doing F1, F2, S2 and M2, so that makes another FOUR DIFFERENT teaching modules.

So four plus four equals EIGHT DIFFERENT teaching modules. So, the IAL further maths require you to include SIX modules EXCLUDING C12 and C34, so having explained this the best as I can, I have to include TWO more DIFFERENT applied modules in the further maths that I didn't do in regular maths, am I correct? So say I do S3 and M3 as part of the further maths, that will make six and then adding the four from regular maths will make the 10 DIFFERENT teaching modules. So am I correct?
I read the spec. So on page 12 stated on the spec (NOT the page number of the actual PDF file) it says "Students
who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules."

So if I interpreted this correctly, for IAL Maths I am doing C12, C34, M1 and S1. That makes FOUR different teaching modules. For IAL Further Maths I am doing F1, F2, S2 and M2, so that makes another FOUR DIFFERENT teaching modules.

So four plus four equals EIGHT DIFFERENT teaching modules. So, the IAL further maths require you to include SIX modules EXCLUDING C12 and C34, so having explained this the best as I can, I have to include TWO more DIFFERENT applied modules in the further maths that I didn't do in regular maths, am I correct? So say I do S3 and M3 as part of the further maths, that will make six and then adding the four from regular maths will make the 10 DIFFERENT teaching modules. So am I correct?

Yes, that plan would be OK.
It may seem strange that you only need 4 for maths and 6 for further maths but C12 and C34 are really double sized units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I think I got that matter sorted. But I would like to know another thing.

The subjects I am taking are Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am already preparing C12, M1, S1, and Physics Unit 1,2,3 for May 2017. I was planning to do the FP1, M2 and S2 in January 2018 as well as C34 and in June 2018 the rest of the physics and further maths units for A2. My question is, since I want to go to Imperial (as my first choice) for computing and they strongly recommend further maths, should I do the FP1 this May so I can get the conditional admission? And another question I would like to know is, is it a good idea to do C34 before the final A2 exams in May 2018 or should I do C34 with the other A2 exams in May 2018?
Thanks, I think I got that matter sorted. But I would like to know another thing.

The subjects I am taking are Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am already preparing C12, M1, S1, and Physics Unit 1,2,3 for May 2017. I was planning to do the FP1, M2 and S2 in January 2018 as well as C34 and in June 2018 the rest of the physics and further maths units for A2. My question is, since I want to go to Imperial (as my first choice) for computing and they strongly recommend further maths, should I do the FP1 this May so I can get the conditional admission? And another question I would like to know is, is it a good idea to do C34 before the final A2 exams in May 2018 or should I do C34 with the other A2 exams in May 2018?

I know Imperial is very competitive and popular with international applicants but I don't know enough about how they evaluate international applications to offer good advice. I suggest you contact their admission people through their web site and ask them what they would recommend to make your application as strong as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know Imperial is very competitive and popular with international applicants but I don't know enough about how they evaluate international applications to offer good advice. I suggest you contact their admission people through their web site and ask them what they would recommend to make your application as strong as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll do that.

Quick Reply

Latest